Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2017, 05:02 AM   #1

Hose Hanging Down

I'm on my maiden voyage and at my first stop found this hose hanging down. At the same time my stabilizer panel is blinking for the front right stabilizer not working. Could thus be for that? I pushed it up over something so it wouldn't drag but not sure what yo do with it? Any thoughts? Thank You much! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7663.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	32437Click image for larger version

ID:	32437
Click image for larger version

ID:	32437

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:09 AM   #2

Usually that indication on the leveler panel just means it is low (from a slope sense, not low fluid) where indicated, in this case the rear. Have you pressed the "Auto" button to try to level the rig? If yes, what happened?

I am on a mobile device and I can't tell from pictures what might be hanging, will look when I have access to my laptop if someone else hasn't already helped identify your issue.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Usually that indication on the leveler panel just means it is low (from a slope sense, not low fluid) where indicated, in this case the rear. Have you pressed the "Auto" button to try to level the rig? If yes, what happened?

I am on a mobile device and I can't tell from pictures what might be hanging, will look when I have access to my laptop if someone else hasn't already helped identify your issue.

Thanks Robby, Yes pressed auto but the two lights flashed the whole time and I was on uneven ground. Now at a new location snd no more flashing but my front left tire is almost off the ground... is that normal?

Old 06-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #4

Depending on the site, lifting a tire may not be unusual. Is rig level after it stopped? Green light on in center of jack buttons? Did all 4 jacks come down? If they did the dangling hose likely has nothing to do with the levelers.

I usually put blocks under tires that lift to keep things a little more stable. Varying opinions on whether it is essential or not to support tires when they are off the ground. Some sites are so unlevel one end or the other may be off the ground.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #5

Thanks Robby.. yes green light did come on. Still need to figure out what that hose is. It's capped and looks like it's coming from the fridge area - could it be an lp line?

Old 06-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
Thanks Robby.. yes green light did come on. Still need to figure out what that hose is. It's capped and looks like it's coming from the fridge area - could it be an lp line?

Could it be a condensation drain line? (although that shouldn't be capped)
theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoat View Post

It had a metal insert at end.. is it supposed to be hanging that low? Almost reaching ground. When it stops raining I'll take a shot of it. Thxs for your help - so many things to figure out.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #8

Looking at the hose on my PC I also wonder if it is a capped LP gas (propane) line, possibly meant at one time to be connected to a grill.

You don't say what model or year unit you have, but I am guessing it is new to you but not new. I say this because of your Bigfoot leveling panel; that is the prior generation panel. Bigfoot now has a newer panel they offer now. Maybe if you include your model and year in your signature other owners of similar units may be able to chime in and provide better information than I can.

Before you head back out I would definitely tie the hose up so it can't hit something in the road and possibly bounce up and get tangled in the driveshaft. If it is propane, that scenario could really ruin your day!
Old 06-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoat View Post
Quote:
It had a metal insert at end.. is it supposed to be hanging that low? Almost reaching ground. When it stops raining I'll take a shot of it. Thxs for your help - so many things to figure out.

The refrigerator condensate line coming from my refrigerator has a plastic insert with small holes in in at the end of the line. The purpose of the insert is to allow condensate to drip out, but prevent air movement or insects into the refrigerator. I'm seconding the guess of theoat. But if that is what the line is, it sure does seem to be hanging too low.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Looking at the hose on my PC I also wonder if it is a capped LP gas (propane) line, possibly meant at one time to be connected to a grill.

You don't say what model or year unit you have, but I am guessing it is new to you but not new. I say this because of your Bigfoot leveling panel; that is the prior generation panel. Bigfoot now has a newer panel they offer now. Maybe if you include your model and year in your signature other owners of similar units may be able to chime in and provide better information than I can.

Before you head back out I would definitely tie the hose up so it can't hit something in the road and possibly bounce up and get tangled in the driveshaft. If it is propane, that scenario could really ruin your day!

Thanks for your help.. I have a 2015 Melbourne 29d. Maybe someone here in the campground can help [emoji4] .

Old 06-18-2017, 07:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for your help.. I have a 2015 Melbourne 29d. Maybe someone here in the campground can help [emoji4] .

Here is a better view.. looks like an extra hose?

Old 06-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #12

That is indeed a propane distibution block. What concerns me is what appears to be just a bolt in that "extra" line, not a plug like I would expect to see.

My advice is to secure the line where it can't drag or get tangled in anything and have it looked at by someone qualified when you have an opportunity. If it is indeed just a bolt stuck in the end of a hose, that certainly is not the proper way to terminate a propane line. I say this as a (retired) 33-year firefighter who was also a state-certified fire safety inspector!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:35 AM   #13
M&A

Quote:
That is indeed a propane distibution block. What concerns me is what appears to be just a bolt in that "extra" line, not a plug like I would expect to see.

My advice is to secure the line where it can't drag or get tangled in anything and have it looked at by someone qualified when you have an opportunity. If it is indeed just a bolt stuck in the end of a hose, that certainly is not the proper way to terminate a propane line. I say this as a (retired) 33-year firefighter who was also a state-certified fire safety inspector!
+10!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #14

I just Googled the name on the suspected bolt head (Lawson Tuff Torq), it is indeed "just a bolt". I would get that situation addressed as soon as practical. The proper fix (in my opinion) would be:

1. Shut off the propane at the onboard tank,
2. Bleed the system down safely,
3. Remove the hanging hose from the distribution block,
4. Plug that opening with a proper plug,
5. Re-pressurize system and perform a proper leak test.

I suggest that if you smell even a whiff of propane walking around your unit, I would immediately shut off the propane tank and not use it until you can get the unit looked at/repaired.

I responded to numerous RV fires in my career as a municipal firefighter in a city crisscrossed by two major interstate highways. They never end well. And when propane is involved, even worse. Not trying to scare you unnecessarily, but even though I retired I still feel I must preach safety when I hear or see something potentially dangerous.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #15

Quote:
I just Googled the name on the suspected bolt head (Lawson Tuff Torq), it is indeed "just a bolt". I would get that situation addressed as soon as practical. The proper fix (in my opinion) would be:

1. Shut off the propane at the onboard tank,

2. Bleed the system down safely,

3. Remove the hanging hose from the distribution block,

4. Plug that opening with a proper plug,

5. Re-pressurize system and perform a proper leak test.

I suggest that if you smell even a whiff of propane walking around your unit, I would immediately shut off the propane tank and not use it until you can get the unit looked at/repaired.

I responded to numerous RV fires in my career as a municipal firefighter in a city crisscrossed by two major interstate highways. They never end well. And when propane is involved, even worse. Not trying to scare you unnecessarily, but even though I retired I still feel I must preach safety when I hear or see something potentially dangerous.

Thank you Robby. Tank is off and cord secured. I am going to stop at Camping World two hours up the road and hopefully get it looked at. I've only had rig for 3 months and they supposedly did a full inspection . Seems odd they missed that! Thanks again.

Samsara