Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #1

house batteries

I took delivery of my coach in 8/15. The batteries were made in 2014. I think they are toast at this point. Would this be normal life? What is the recommended replacement?

Thanks,
Old 01-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #2

Do you have the Harris dual-purpose batteries in your unit? I had those batteries and they didn't last long in my Seneca. I think it was possible the dealer let mine go completely dead and they froze, unbeknownst to me before purchase. Unfortunately none of us can truly know what happened to our batteries before we took possession.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #3

I forgot to add I replaced my original 12-volt dual-purpose batteries with "real" deep-cycle 6-volt batteries. Mine are Trojan T-105 units (T-105 Plus | Trojan Battery Company) and I equipped them with Trojan's HydroLink watering system (HydroLink Watering System | Trojan Battery Company) which makes battery filling a 5-minute, no mess, foolproof way of ensuring proper water level in all cells.

I believe Trojans's T-145 batteries will also fit. Slightly more capacity, slightly taller, more expensive, and not as widely available (here at least).
Old 01-31-2018, 05:16 AM   #4

Interstate

I also have a 2014 37FS and replaced mine with 6 volt Interstate from Costco this past year. Working great thus far, but I don't do much dry camping. I also highly recommend a water fill system. Sure makes reaching the back batteries much easier.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
I took delivery of my coach in 8/15. The batteries were made in 2014. I think they are toast at this point. Would this be normal life? What is the recommended replacement?

Thanks,
Be glad they lasted this long. I went out to the garage last week and smelled "rotten egg" which is the indicator that the batteries are cooking!
immediately disconnected and while doing so, could feel the heat from the battery.

Off to Sam's club for a new deep marine battery!

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I forgot to add I replaced my original 12-volt dual-purpose batteries with "real" deep-cycle 6-volt batteries. Mine are Trojan T-105 units (T-105 Plus | Trojan Battery Company) and I equipped them with Trojan's HydroLink watering system (HydroLink Watering System | Trojan Battery Company) which makes battery filling a 5-minute, no mess, foolproof way of ensuring proper water level in all cells.
How often do you have to add water? I ask because when we got our Seneca I swapped to Trojans and added a watering system. Not knowing how much water gets used, I check it about every month while plugged in being stored and it always seems to take a bit of water to top them off. Our old Winnie with 2 105’s could go all winter plugged in and not need any water.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
How often do you have to add water? I ask because when we got our Seneca I swapped to Trojans and added a watering system. Not knowing how much water gets used, I check it about every month while plugged in being stored and it always seems to take a bit of water to top them off. Our old Winnie with 2 105’s could go all winter plugged in and not need any water.
I check mine about once a month and I would say I have to pump in one to two cups (max) each time distributed amongst the 4 batteries. I don't know how evenly it is spread amongst the batteries or if it all goes to one. I have not pulled the individual caps to see where they stand prior to filling. I don't keep mine plugged in when in storage, but I do when it is at my home.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I check mine about once a month and I would say I have to pump in one to two cups (max) each time distributed amongst the 4 batteries. I don't know how evenly it is spread amongst the batteries or if it all goes to one. I have not pulled the individual caps to see where they stand prior to filling. I don't keep mine plugged in when in storage, but I do when it is at my home.

Ok, that is about what mine is taking in the 4 battery bank. I keep mine stored at home in a pole building.

Thanks!

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote