Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2022, 07:41 PM   #21

Thanks for the information
Wayne44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:43 PM   #22

I’m learning every day
Wayne44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne44 View Post
Fill me in on the Battery Shutoff Switch .(purchase/ install). I do have a small digital volt meter outside of my house battery block (tray).
On models equipped with a battery shutoff switch, there will be a switch located at, or very close to the stairs entering the RV (or TT). This switch will connect/disconnect the house battery to 12 volt interior items that run off the house battery. Basically, the switch operates a solenoid (located by the house battery) to connect/disconnect the house battery.

If your unit does not have one, it could be installed, but it would take wiring run from the switch to the house battery area to do so, plus a solenoid, and wiring of the house positive battery leads to the "LOAD" side of the battery, and a cable from the house battery to the "BATT" side of the solenoid. The switch wire would supply a simple ground to the solenoid to trigger the solenoid on/off (connect/disconnect) of the solenoid.

If you want a cheap way to do it, attach a throw lever switch to the negative battery post of the house battery; you could simply open/close this throw switch to disconnect/connect the house battery.

The reasoning of the house battery disconnect is to help prevent the house battery from draining down when it sits in storage. If you have access to electricity while in storage, you could connect a battery tender to the house battery to keep it charged while in storage.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 03:06 PM   #24

House or coach battery?

How do I know if Am using DC power from my House battery and NOT the cabin battery under the hood ?

The easiest way I can think of is to unplug the shore power to the coach, and then disconnect the chassis' negative battery cable. Then check everything in your house and see if it powers up. If it does, it's connected to your house battery. Then reconnect the chassis' battery and disconnect the house battery. Now see if anything in your house powers up. This will tell you which battery is powering each device.
KA9J is offline   Reply With Quote