Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2019, 06:47 AM   #1

House battery during winter.

It may be a silly question but want to be more clear.

My Redhawk 24B is parked next to my house and its usually plugged in to shore power.

There is few gages hooked up to house battery at all times.

My question is...should I unplug the battery and keep it I garrage plugged in to battery tenderizer or its ok to keep in in the RV plugged in?
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #2

As long as your plugged in you are ok. The RV will keep the battery happy and charged. If it’s a flooded battery just be sure to check the water once and awhile.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #3
Site Team

If you're plugged into shore power, the converter will keep the house battery charged. You certainly can take it out if you wish, and keep a battery tender on it for the winter. I take ours out, and keep it in the cellar with a tender on it. Checking the acid level a couple of times through the winter is also a good idea.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post

plugged in to battery tenderizer
Are you using Adolph's??

Quote:
My Redhawk 24B is parked next to my house and its usually plugged in to shore power.
Just be aware, that will ONLY charge the coach battery, NOT the chassis battery. The odds are, the chassis battery will be dead in the Spring (due to parasitic drains), unless you put it on a "tenderizer" too.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Are you using Adolph's??

Just be aware, that will ONLY charge the coach battery, NOT the chassis battery. The odds are, the chassis battery will be dead in the Spring (due to parasitic drains), unless you put it on a "tenderizer" too.
I heard using a tenderizer makes the plastic go soft on the battery case. Any info? ;-)
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #6

I don't use any tenderizer, I just buy better meat! LOL!!

Anyway, I agree it should be fine plugged into shore power. If you want to keep the chassis battery charged, you can add a trik-l-start and the on-board converter will keep the chassis battery charged as well as the house batteries.

Back when I had a TT, I took my battery off every time I stored the unit and kept it on a Battery Tender in the garage. Not only to keep it charged, but so it wouldn't grow legs. I don't do that with the MH because it would be a major pain. My plan is to eventually add a simple solar setup to keep the batteries charged up while in storage.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I heard using a tenderizer makes the plastic go soft on the battery case. Any info? ;-)
I hear that there is a Blue pill that can help that situation...
Old 10-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

Anyway, I agree it should be fine plugged into shore power. If you want to keep the chassis battery charged, you can add a trik-l-start and the on-board converter will keep the chassis battery charged as well as the house batteries.
A lot of different opinions on batteries over the Winter, and I've been digesting all of them. Since we can get down to the single digits, trying to decide what to do with the coach and chassis batteries...

I know a lot of people just keep their rigs plugged in all Winter, but I'm thinking why keep the converter energized (12 volt and 115 volt) all Winter just to keep the batteries topped off. Since there is very little draw on the batteries during non-use, why power the whole converter/rig up 24/7???

What I'm thinking is keeping the batteries in the rig (just in case of a rare instance it needs to be used/moved over the Winter), and putting a "tenderizer" on the coach batteries (I have two), hooked up to a timer that will turn on the "tenderizer" once a week for a few hours, to top off the batteries.

Then, either put in a Trik-L-Start for the chassis battery, to keep it topped off (as I notice it loses voltage faster than the coach batteries when sitting), of just run a double male plug and jumper the coach batteries to a dashboard cig recepticle, to keep the chassis battery topped off.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #9

I use two battery tenders. I do not keep it plugged in. I've found in the past that the converter doesn't seem to be all that efficient and sometimes draws power when it doesn't seem to need to with a pretty much constant 1 amp, which will end up costing you 30-40kwh over the month.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #10

When we had a Class C, I used 2 Battery minder brand 1.5a maintainers, as they are the smart version, so I just checked the water on a periodic basis, forgot about 'em otherwise. Kept the batteries in good shape and ready to go when needed. I got some 2 gal buckets and made some waterproof containers for the charger/extension cord connections to reside in. Still use one on the TT now.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #11

We leave the batteries on board and the trailer plugged in all year long when not in use. During the winter, it is common for us to see temps drop to the negative double digits (F*). You will be fine leaving it plugged in.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote