Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #1

House Battery issues ...

We have a '16 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV purchased on Feb '16. We have rolled and used the coach some 16,000 miles over two summers with great results.

The house battery was manufactured in June '15.

Last week I disconnected the 30amp plug and pulled the coach out of the building for the monthly generator exercise. When I pushed the generator start button, I discovered the house battery was dead (although as always, the coach had been properly connected to 30amp service)

I started the truck, then started the generator for the three-hour exercise. After the exercise, I replaced the coach in the building, replaced the 30AMP plug ensuring that it was properly plugged, and waited to see what would happen.

Today I disconnected the 30AMP plug, waited some 15 minutes and then went into the coach to check the battery on the monitor. It showed the house battery with only two lights (half-charge) instead of four (full-charge).

I disconnected the house battery cables, cleaned them, and re-connected them, then replugged the 30AMP in place. I'm at the "wait and see" stage.

Why would the house battery die even though the coach was properly connected to 30AMP power?
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #2

If that battery is the same as mine a Marine battery you will be lucky to get three years mine always died a little after two years and I kept a tender on it and maintained the water. You should check your converter/charger output to the battery could be a fuse mine has two, also check condition of each cell in battery could have a weak one or two
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
We have a '16 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV purchased on Feb '16. We have rolled and used the coach some 16,000 miles over two summers with great results.

The house battery was manufactured in June '15.

Last week I disconnected the 30amp plug and pulled the coach out of the building for the monthly generator exercise. When I pushed the generator start button, I discovered the house battery was dead (although as always, the coach had been properly connected to 30amp service)

I started the truck, then started the generator for the three-hour exercise. After the exercise, I replaced the coach in the building, replaced the 30AMP plug ensuring that it was properly plugged, and waited to see what would happen.

Today I disconnected the 30AMP plug, waited some 15 minutes and then went into the coach to check the battery on the monitor. It showed the house battery with only two lights (half-charge) instead of four (full-charge).

I disconnected the house battery cables, cleaned them, and re-connected them, then replugged the 30AMP in place. I'm at the "wait and see" stage.

Why would the house battery die even though the coach was properly connected to 30AMP power?
Take them out and somewhere to be tested. Was the water checked on a regular basis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
If that battery is the same as mine a Marine battery you will be lucky to get three years mine always died a little after two years and I kept a tender on it and maintained the water. You should check your converter/charger output to the battery could be a fuse mine has two, also check condition of each cell in battery could have a weak one or two
x2
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #4

.... OK .... I disconnected the 30AMP source, then I threw the disconnect switch. At this point, there should be no power drain on the house battery.

I connected a battery charger to the house battery. Tomorrow morning I'll check to see, the battery should be fully charged. Once fully charged, I will be able to see if the battery can hold it's charge....

Am I missing anything...???
Old 05-27-2018, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
.... OK .... I disconnected the 30AMP source, then I threw the disconnect switch. At this point, there should be no power drain on the house battery.

I connected a battery charger to the house battery. Tomorrow morning I'll check to see, the battery should be fully charged. Once fully charged, I will be able to see if the battery can hold it's charge....

Am I missing anything...???
There can still be parasitic drains such as the radio's memory, propane detector, etc. Some things are "hot-wired".
Old 05-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #6

Keep in mind that a battery can show fully charged (12.6 volts) but still have bad cells. Your approach will only tell you the status of the battery if you test the load on it and see what happens then.

I don't think parasitic drain will cause your symptoms as you are fully charging the battery, then it is rapidly depleting..... I vote for testing the battery (draw down test) by a reputable battery house.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #7

Not surprising that the battery would be done for, even at 3 YO. I just replaced mine last month because it wouldn't hold a charge. These batteries are bottom of the barrel.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #8

Well, folks ..... I put a full charge (or attempted to) on my house battery for two days. It never achieved a full charge (nor a trickle charge) in that time frame.

SO, I'm thinking the house battery is toast.

What's next...???

Lithium is too expensive so I'm thinking AGM .... any thoughts ..???

What has been your "TRIED AND TRUE
Deep Cycle RV battery" ...???
Old 05-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #9

Quote:
What has been your "TRIED AND TRUE
Deep Cycle RV battery" ...???
We have used the 'Costco' 6 volt golf cart deep cycle for years. About $90 each with core.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #10

I bought a 100AH AGM battery on Amazon for $160. I let you know if it's any good in a couple of years.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I bought a 100AH AGM battery on Amazon for $160. I let you know if it's any good in a couple of years.
Don, did this fit in our standard battery tray/compartment without any mod?
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #12

This one fit just fine in the compartment. Only difference was that I had to turn the wire lugs sideways and use a bit longer bolt to connect the lugs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #13

Do you need a different charger for the AGM battery?
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #14

Via an email to Progressive Dynamics I was told that the installed converter (PD4060K) will work just fine with an AGM battery. You guys are certainly asking all the right questions.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #15

Thanks. I am seeing failure on my supplied batteries and want to move to the next phase and have read a lot of good information on the agm units but was thinking I might need a new charger. I will confirm my unit and give progressive a call if it is different than the one you mentioned.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote