Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2021, 07:02 AM   #1

House Battery Melbourne

I知 on the road and just replaced our house battery because it tested low. Apparently, there is something else wrong. No house lights, yet the microwave clock goes on. Refrigerator will not run in auto. I知 no where near a dealer. Can anyone provide some basic troubleshooting steps. Thank you.
Golf4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #2

You are talking about two separate power sources. Your microwave is in the 120 volt system while your lights, fridge and most control circuits are on the 12 volt system. Your problem is in the 12 volt system.

The 12 volts should be available by battery or, when plugged in, the converter. It appears that you are not functioning in either mode. The first thing I would ask is do you have a battery disconnect switch? That would definitely disconnect the battery but I am not 100% sure it would disconnect the converter. If the converter feeds the battery directly then the switch would disconnect both.

Another question is whether all battery cables were reconnected when the battery was replaced. It is easy for a cable to fall out of sight when replacing the battery.

I have attached some troubleshooting documents that can give some insight as to how RV electrical systems operate. Your best friend will be a voltmeter so I recommend getting one even if it is a cheap one. Most meters will be good enough for RV testing.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 3 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4fun View Post
I’m on the road and just replaced our house battery because it tested low. Apparently, there is something else wrong. No house lights, yet the microwave clock goes on. Refrigerator will not run in auto. I’m no where near a dealer. Can anyone provide some basic troubleshooting steps. Thank you.

Who replaced the battery - are you sure all of the cables got put back correctly??

House lights need 12V DC.

Fridge on propane still needs a 12V DC source.

Microwave clock will be powered by 120V AC. Is the generator running or you're plugged into shore power?

Do you have a multimeter? If not - grab one. Check DC Voltage at the battery, engine off. Check battery voltage engine running.

Pop out a light bulb from the fixture and check DC voltage there.

Then open Converter door and look for a blown 12V fuse.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #4

Thank you

Thank you. I知 working thru the suggested steps. House battery tests at 12 with engine off and goes to 13 with engine running. I知 hooked into shore power and only the microwave works. In the past shore power supported my house lights, refrigerator and AC. Appreciate the guidance.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #5

Plugged into shore power. And I can get the generator to run. Everything works with generator on. Not everything works in shore power.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #6

Thank you. Working thru the suggestions.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4fun View Post
In the past shore power supported my house lights, refrigerator and AC. Appreciate the guidance.

Yes. Because like Jim said - when you're plugged in to shore power (120V AC) your converter will be making 12V DC to power your house lights and fridge.

It will be "converting" 120V AC power to 12V DC.

Tags
house battery, melbourne