Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2022, 02:12 PM   #1

How do I activate the rear camera on Greyhawk without putting it in reverse.

I would like to have a switch to activate the rear camera so I can check on my toad while underway other than putting it in reverse.

I suspect however, if I locate the reverse switch and put power to it through a switch it will probably turn on the backup lights. Is that a problem - it would light up the toad in the dark.

Does anyone know where that reverse switch is located?
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
I would like to have a switch to activate the rear camera so I can check on my toad while underway other than putting it in reverse.

I suspect however, if I locate the reverse switch and put power to it through a switch it will probably turn on the backup lights. Is that a problem - it would light up the toad in the dark.

Does anyone know where that reverse switch is located?
The problem is that you would likely get pulled over and ticketed, as it is against the law to have any white lights at the rear of a vehicle turned on while traveling.

I wired my rear camera to be on anytime the key is on. My Android based radio allows me to switch to camera view anytime I choose to do so, also it does so when in reverse automatically. My previous radio would only show the camera when I was in reverse. So, my thought is that you would want to determine first if you have a camera app on your radio that you can use, if so then just power the camera off of the ignition key switched power (or add a switch if you don't like it being on all of the time). Otherwise, you likely could rewire the radio as it should have a "reverse" wire input "trigger" connection that attaches into the reverse light circuit, just disconnect the radio side of that wire and add a switch in the dash. ~CA
Old 06-30-2022, 03:12 PM   #3

On our Grayhawk the rear camera can be operated from the dash mounted Sony unit. It's a menu item you will find by scrolling sideways. If you have it on while driving, the screen will default to whatever your driver's command is, a turn signal for instance, and then go back to rearview.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
On our Grayhawk the rear camera can be operated from the dash mounted Sony unit. It's a menu item you will find by scrolling sideways. If you have it on while driving, the screen will default to whatever your driver's command is, a turn signal for instance, and then go back to rearview.
Exactly. No need for any external switch, as long as your radio has this option/functionality.

I tow a dolly and the rear camera is always on while driving for viewage out back.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
Exactly. No need for any external switch, as long as your radio has this option/functionality.

I tow a dolly and the rear camera is always on while driving for viewage out back.
So was mine, even with the Toad behind the MH and always on as well when we had the FW.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:12 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post

So did mine until the rear camera started operating only when it wanted to so I got a moderately prices dash camera, and used one of my old Iphones to set up Bluetooth connection between the rear window in the bedroom and the Iphone at my dash. I now have constant video of the Jeep that is tailgating me.

One suggestion if you do this. The camera will need a 12volt source or it dies pretty quickly. I use my lithium battery jumper to power the camera while traveling and recharge during down time.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:13 AM   #7

My 2013 Jayco has a Clarion radio. The camera turns on for the side mirrors when the turn signal lever is activated. But, I do not remember seeing anything when I put the drive in reverse. Anyway, I have a dedicated rear view camera installed with the screen replacing the interior rear view mirror, which was useless.

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
What year/model Jayco do you have? On my 2020 29MV (with Soundstream radio) there's a camera icon on the lower left of the radio display that turns on the rear view camera. I don't leave it on all the time, but turn it on whenever I want to check on my toad.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:14 PM   #9

Same for our 2016 and the Jensen 215N headunit - select "cameras" from main menu, then "rear"
Old 07-01-2022, 01:23 PM   #10

My Furrion shows the rear as we drive, like a rear view mirror. Must have at least the running lights on.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
What year/model Jayco do you have? On my 2020 29MV (with Soundstream radio) there's a camera icon on the lower left of the radio display that turns on the rear view camera. I don't leave it on all the time, but turn it on whenever I want to check on my toad.
I think that is the answer.

The touch screen on my Soundstream is out of calibration so I have to touch at 50% of the width to an icon to activate it.

Following your suggestion I touched the bottom left of the screen (no icon there) and WHACO, up came a menu and I saw the word "CAMERA" somewhere on it. But before I could read it or make a selection, it disappeared and went back to "NO SIGNAL". Never to be seen again

Its possible that the vertical on the screen is also out of calibration and the camera icon is just below the bottom of the screen. I've tried a master reset and begged Soundsteam for the access to the touch screen calibration program that I know is built in but they don't have a clue.
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Its possible that the vertical on the screen is also out of calibration and the camera icon is just below the bottom of the screen. I've tried a master reset and begged Soundsteam for the access to the touch screen calibration program that I know is built in but they don't have a clue.
On my Soundstream there is a small reset hole in the top left corner that needs a thin metal pin inserted to reset. Is that the master reset that you've already tried?

I've had some luck using my remote to select icons when they were difficult to access. If you have the remote, you could try that. Also, seems like you've already talked to Soundstream, but here's a link to their manuals if you don't have one: https://www.soundstream.com/manuals/

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2022, 02:15 PM   #13

I don't have a Soundstream so can't help from experience, but found this on the web:

Technical Support

Technical support is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM PST to 4:30 PM PST at (800)832-4647.

If Tech Support is busy, please leave a message, and you will get a return call within 24 hours.

For faster service, please email tech-support@soundstream.com

Warranty & Repair

Products purchased from an online retailer have a 90-day warranty. If your return were purchased before 90 days, you would need to furnish a receipt showing that the unit was professionally installed.

Warranty returns are only accepted from purchases made directly from authorized online retailers. We do not accept returns from 3rd party marketplace resellers.

For more information, visit our Warranty page.

Recent Software Updates

VRCPAA-70M RDS Firmware Update 121521

RDS Instructions for RDS Firmware Update

VRN-DD7HB Android 9 Update and Older (Older than 2021 Model)

(Above Not Compatible w/ Android Version 10 or 11 Phones)

VRN-64HB / VRN-74HB – Android 7 / 8 MHL Update [.zip | 22MB]

VRN-65HB / VRN-75HB – Android 7 / 8 MHL Update [.zip | 22MB]

VRCP-65 MHL Bluetooth Disconnection Fix 2017

It is recommended that you use a separate blank micro sd card for this update.

Avoid tampering/using the GPS Micro SD card to prevent any issues with your GPS software.

Instructions:

Extract the .zip update file
Copy the files onto the root directory of the micro SD card
Insert the SD card into the radio, turn on radio power
At the navigation interface select “I agree”.
Select easy connect.exe in the screen file select.
The system will automatically upgrade.
If the radio does not automatically go to update status, recycle power. Press the “I Agree” and the unit should go through an update.
Once complete, recycle radio power and test.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #14

Hook the camera lead that is connected to the reverse light to the running lights and it will be on when the running lights are on.
DIYJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:21 PM   #15

It’s easy if your unit came with a clarion unit. Just turn unit on, tap camera and there it is. We drive with the camera on so I can see the jeep behind us or make sure I tied the firewood on tightly. Ifs it’s another brand, hopefully someone else will know about those units…. Good luck. Or, just Call the mfg of the camera unit.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:37 PM   #16

We can turn on the rear camera on our 2017 29mv by activating the 4-way flashers for a quick check.
mhager90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 06:43 PM   #17

I purchased a Haloview rear view and side view cameras. My 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK came with a worthless rear view mirror since there is no rear window. I now can see everything behind me and beside me. Easy to install and they are wireless.
Tommyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:57 PM   #18

You dont say what year Greyhawk you have or what model it is. I have a 2019 Greyhawk 29 MV equipped with the factory radio. With the radio on, in the very lower left corner of the screen there is a icon. By touching this icon it turns on my rear camera. When the turn signal is used the screen changes to that particular side. When the turn signal is not being used the screen defaults back to the rear camera. By touching the screen in any location the rear camera will shut off and return to the Radio screen....
pauldeere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:55 PM   #19
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldeere View Post
You dont say what year Greyhawk you have or what model it is. I have a 2019 Greyhawk 29 MV equipped with the factory radio. With the radio on, in the very lower left corner of the screen there is a icon. By touching this icon it turns on my rear camera. When the turn signal is used the screen changes to that particular side. When the turn signal is not being used the screen defaults back to the rear camera. By touching the screen in any location the rear camera will shut off and return to the Radio screen....

The rear view cameras in the Jayhawks are famous for failing. The OEM failed and I replaced the head unit with a Kenwood, it worked for awhile and then failed. Likely the switcher. I was tired of fooling with it and went with two dash cams front and rear, wired with the screen in the drivers area where I could watch the Jeep full time. Much better and less hassle.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:06 AM   #20

We have a 2023 Entegra Esteem. (Jayco with lipstick)
The OEM backup camera failed on our second trip out.
Selling dealer support is useless.

We bought a Vekooto Wireless Backup Camera System. (model SW7-1)
Mount the magnetic base camera on the rear bumper. Mount the monitor on the dash above the radio, or your preferred location. Plug it into the 12 volt plug on the dash.

The camera has a built in solar charger, or you can plug it in to charge it also.
Works perfectly. Easy to install and use. Good visual clarity.
Etsee is offline   Reply With Quote