Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #1

How do I remove a storage door from a 24SS?

I want to install a larger battery drawer so I can put in two or three batteries, but I'm having trouble removing the original battery tray door.

I've removed the screws on the inside edge of the frame, removed the foam sealant on the back of the frame, and pressed a putty knife between the entire perimeter of the outside flange of the door frame and the surface of the motorhome (where the caulking would be). The door flange still will not budge from the side of the motorhome.

What am I missing?
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #2

post photo.. might help..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #3

I discovered I had not thoroughly cut through all the caulking between the flange of the door frame and the side of the motorhome, so completed that. Using a large C clamp, a metal bar, and some wood pieces, I was able to force the left side away from the motorhome side, which started to loosen it. Prying on the flange of the right side broke it free. The hole was tight fit for the door, which is what made it so hard.

In the pictures, you can see the hole is framed with aluminum tubes on the top and sides, but not the bottom. That door was not going to fall out! I think cutting into the upper horizontal aluminum piece will weaken the structure, so I'll butt the new door up against it. The vertical aluminum piece on the left side will have to be cut off, as the new door is twice as wide. It's also an inch taller, so I'll have to cut into the wood at the bottom.

So far, it looks like everything will still fit, though I'm disappointed I can't mount the new door a bit higher.
Attached Thumbnails
P1120178.jpg   P1120179.jpg  
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the update!
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote