Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

How does Greyhawk prestige handle Winter?

I'm a new owner of a 2019 Greyhawk Prestige 30xp and am planning to spend some time in Colorado Springs during December. Can anyone tell me how well this unit can handle the cold winter weather? I'll be plugged into shore power and can run my furnace and heat pump, but will that protect my plumbing? Do I need supplemental heaters--either propane or electric? I have tank heaters, but not sure what they protect. Are the bays heated? If not, do I need to put some sort of heater in my utility bay (where the water controls are located). If so, any ideas what would work well? We'll be leaving the unit during the day and not sure what precautions I take when we're going to be away for the better part of the day? I have a heated water hose, but don't know if the RV park will have water available. I anticipate filling my fresh water and not connecting to the park water. Is that a problem? Should I forget having water and just winterize the plumbing system? Hate to do that if not necessary. Any advice would be welcome!!
LegalBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:03 PM   #2

Congrats on your new Greyhawk Prestige! We love ours!

Depending on the temps you will likely need to winterize the motorhome and use the campground facilities. Nights can get cold and there are lots of pipes exposed under the belly.

Plan to use a lot of propane to keep comfortable. You can run electric heaters but you only have 30 amp service so inside you will be limited at how many heaters you can run.

It can be done but won't be fun if temps are below freezing.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:40 PM   #3

Recently went camping up in the mountains above 7000 feet. For some reason, the furnace heater would not start and consistently stay on. It must’ve been in the low 30s at night. Luckily was plugged into shore power and had a little space heater. So, I could not really test how well the heat was held in the rig using the propane furnace. It was pretty chilly, but we survive the night. Interestingly the furnace started working normally again once we got out of the mountains. I did turn on the tank heaters, and had no problem with the plumbing. I think we would’ve been fine if the furnace heater has been working. Congrats on your new unit. We have a 2019 29 MVP.
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:20 AM   #4

RV'ing while winterized

RV'ing while the plumbing is winterized seems quite a challenge. Obviously, we can use campground facilities for showers and can carry drinking water, but really need to be able to use/flush the toilet at times (as in the middle of the night). How can we do this while winterized? Would you ever add antifreeze to your freshwater tank and just use it for flushing? Alternatively, if you have some fresh water on board (and aren't connected to shore water) can you keep your water pump and plumbing warm enough to protect it? Space heaters? Work light in water bay?
LegalBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #5

Drain the black tank and put a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze down the toilet into the tank. Then carry a few gallon jugs of water with you (set the containers on the floor of shower pan out of the way) then use these as needed to flush.

I would only do this for night use.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #6

Enjoying and learning from this post.

I also want to be able to enjoy a Coach when the thermometer go's south. We would like to go to New England in fall for the foliage and scenery and also to be able to enjoy Yellowstone off season to avoid the crowds and possibly see more wildlife in a relaxed mode.
Both destinations would without a doubt have some cool/cold temps.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, winter camping