Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #1

How Is the Seneca

The wife and I are just beginning to do our research on what RV we are wanting to purchase. So far we really like the layouts of the Seneca line. Would like to hear from some Seneca owners about their experiences and thoughts on this line of coaches. Thanks in advance.
Wandrews530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandrews530 View Post
The wife and I are just beginning to do our research on what RV we are wanting to purchase. So far we really like the layouts of the Seneca line. Would like to hear from some Seneca owners about their experiences and thoughts on this line of coaches. Thanks in advance.
I love my 2014 TS which we purchased new. Had a few issues but Jayco took care of the major items I didn't want to deal with. Many small "trim related" issues I took care of myself.

A number of us here take a lot of pride in our Senecas and have taken steps to improve what Jayco delivered. I for one have made many additions and modifications to my unit, some here on the forum believe I have cost them a lot of time and money copying some of my mods! Search "Seneca Modifications" and see descriptions and photos of some of the upgrades we have made.

Those of us that have owned other motorhomes also really like the driving dynamics of the Senecas. But if it is your first motorhome be advised most are close to 40 feet long. Not something you are going to generally run to the grocery store with when camping. So you might want to also consider how you will tour around when you do arrive at a destination. Some of us tow 4-down, some dolly tow, some trailer. That's what is nice about the Seneca, it has enough power and capacity to do that.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #3

First time owners, but not first users. We’ll be towing a 2010 Wrangler as our get around. The one we’ve looked at I did notice some edge issues with the interior wall paper. But we really like the layout of the 37HJ
Wandrews530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #4

Quote:
First time owners, but not first users. We’ll be towing a 2010 Wrangler as our get around. The one we’ve looked at I did notice some edge issues with the interior wall paper. But we really like the layout of the 37HJ
Many owners tow Wranglers, one of the easiest vehicles to set up and tow. So check that item off the list!

Many, perhaps even most, have had some issues with some fit and finish items. A very thorough PDI is strongly recommended, perhaps even leaving several days from that inspection till you actually plan to take the unit. That way the dealer has time and incentive to address all the issues. Don't make that final down payment until everything is up to your standards!

If some Seneca systems are new to you (macerator for example) consider recording your PDI so you can go back and reference your recording. Plus YouTube can be very handy. Make sure they operate every single appliance and function. A recording can also help you follow up to make sure all discovered issues have been resolved. It is so easy to get distracted and impatient during the walk-thru, excited to get out of the dealership and start using your rig! But patience then can save a lot of difficulty later.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here, lots of knowledgeable folks ready to help. And many of us would absolutely buy our units again!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #5

Make sure you check the slide inside and out. The metal strip inside on the floor came loose and gouged the bottom of the slide floor on my 37k 2020. They are going to have to take the slide out and replace the strip and floor.
jack4540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
As Robbbyr states below... We are one of those who love our Seneca (are out in it now) and if you are looking at "new" or pre-owned, there are lots of options for your choosing... and most importantly - Welcome to the JOF (Jayco Owners Forum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I love my 2014 TS which we purchased new. Had a few issues but Jayco took care of the major items I didn't want to deal with. Many small "trim related" issues I took care of myself.

A number of us here take a lot of pride in our Senecas and have taken steps to improve what Jayco delivered. I for one have made many additions and modifications to my unit, some here on the forum believe I have cost them a lot of time and money copying some of my mods! Search "Seneca Modifications" and see descriptions and photos of some of the upgrades we have made.

Those of us that have owned other motorhomes also really like the driving dynamics of the Senecas. But if it is your first motorhome be advised most are close to 40 feet long. Not something you are going to generally run to the grocery store with when camping. So you might want to also consider how you will tour around when you do arrive at a destination. Some of us tow 4-down, some dolly tow, some trailer. That's what is nice about the Seneca, it has enough power and capacity to do that.
Robbbyr has a great reputation here... and knows more about my Seneca that I might be willing to share. Ours is a year behind his, and a different floorplan, but the Seneca we bought is built on a solid Freightliner platform that is solid, easy to drive in comparison to other rigs of it's size.

Quote:
... Lots of little details can detract... they use a tape of the same wallpaper to seal up the seams. In extreme heat, that has bubbled on ours.... I just smooth it out and we go on with our adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Many owners tow Wranglers, one of the easiest vehicles to set up and tow. So check that item off the list!

Many, perhaps even most, have had some issues with some fit and finish items. A very thorough PDI is strongly recommended, perhaps even leaving several days from that inspection till you actually plan to take the unit. That way the dealer has time and incentive to address all the issues. Don't make that final down payment until everything is up to your standards!

If some Seneca systems are new to you (macerator for example) consider recording your PDI so you can go back and reference your recording. Plus YouTube can be very handy. Make sure they operate every single appliance and function. A recording can also help you follow up to make sure all discovered issues have been resolved. It is so easy to get distracted and impatient during the walk-thru, excited to get out of the dealership and start using your rig! But patience then can save a lot of difficulty later.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here, lots of knowledgeable folks ready to help. And many of us would absolutely buy our units again!
We too were very experienced in our RV ownership. Our PDI was a joke as the RV dealership we purchased it from was a bigger joke than we expected. We identified the big issues and got them to agree to fix them - IN WRITING. After we found out that the RV sales industry is a lot like the used car industry.. .we said that we are better off planning on repairing what we break. and have been happy with that decision.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #7

Welcome

We have a 2020 Accolade 37TS which is the Entegra version of the Seneca. This is our third motor home in about 12 years. We went from a class c to a class a gasser and in October we bought the Accolade.

When we bought we initially walked away from the deal because the dealer did not have the coach ready for the PDI on the delivery date. Walking away let them know we meant business and they were ready the next time we walked in. There are a couple of issues with our coach that we knew about going in and we had a teleconference between Jayco, the dealer and ourselves so we knew what the plan of attack is to address these two items. The issues involve a divot in an exterior side wall and a slide that has to be removed, shimmed, reinstalled and the side repainted. We are taking the coach to Middlebury, IN to have the issues fixed at Jayco Factory Service because we don't trust the dealer to handle these issues.

Overall, we love the rig. A couple small items being worked by the dealer with our next warranty visit in about 3 weeks. The coach drive like a dream compared to the last 2 rigs and it tows the Grand Cherokee like it's not even there.

We are waiting until after the Middlebury trip to start putting some mods in place.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:41 AM   #8

we love ours, the ride and the comfort when traveling is 1000 times better than the one we had before, but still it is a house on wheels, and things come apart, and break, and the way they throw them together is appalling for what you pay, maybe someday there will be a standard
Old 02-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #9

I'm sort of in the same boat... Own a Greyhawk 30X now that we haven't even had a full year and I already want a Seneca/Acolade 37RB... We haven't made the move since we figure we're going to get killed on our 30X trade and will have to have a massive downpayment to compensate so... It is what it is...

Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #10

We thought the same thing, but one day went to a entegra dealer next thing you know we traded our four winds for a Entegra accolade 37k. Talk to a salesman you never know.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:52 PM   #11
jdd

We love ours Seneca! We had a 2009 35GS and just purchased a 2017 37TS. We drove the '09 for 40,000 miles and we have not had any issues. We haven't taken the '17 out yet (only have had it 2 weeks) but we are looking forward to getting it in service. So far we can't identify any flaws so hopefully under routine use we don't find any issues. We drove it home, about 1,000 miles a few weeks ago and so far we are very happy with the ride, power and handling.
Looking forward to many years of use!
Good luck with your search.
jdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #12

I am interested in your thoughts on bang for your buck on the Seneca?

First off, I too am appalled at the issues that these rigs sometimes come with from the factory. But it is what is. I think for under $200k, I think a Seneca is a hell of a buy. If you guys are like me, I am always adding and changing things. Why spend $400k on something that is not going to be exactly like I like anyway?

Question 1. How is the driving experience? does the thing track straight down the road? Are you having to correct here and there?

Question 2. 10-12 Miles per Gallon?

Question 3. I love the layout of the 37K with standard dinette. Is there any preferences I should look at on the other layouts?

Question 4. Any option I should absolutely order?

Question 5. Best Color scheme inside and out?

thanks Guys. Seriously thinking about trading in my Minnie Winnie 22M.

And like one post said, I just assume I will fix just about anything that is wrong and If I can't fix it, I plan taking it to Jayco to have them correct it. If that's possible.

Bill
vanovafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanovafan View Post

First off, I too am appalled at the issues that these rigs sometimes come with from the factory. But it is what is. I think for under $200k, I think a Seneca is a hell of a buy. If you guys are like me, I am always adding and changing things. Why spend $400k on something that is not going to be exactly like I like anyway?

Question 1. How is the driving experience? does the thing track straight down the road? Are you having to correct here and there?

Question 3. I love the layout of the 37K with standard dinette. Is there any preferences I should look at on the other layouts?

And like one post said, I just assume I will fix just about anything that is wrong and If I can't fix it, I plan taking it to Jayco to have them correct it. If that's possible.

Bill
We have a 2020 Accolade 37TS which is the Entegra sister to the Seneca.

First, I have had no issues with the coach wandering while driving. The Accolade on the S2RV chassis is a dream compared to other rigs and that is when towing or not towing. We did require the dealer have an alignment done after we took it for a test drive.

When we bought the Accolade we got it with various options at the same price as a Seneca without the options. Must have options are a personal choice as are colors inside and out. I will not give advice or suggestions on any of those features.

When we bought our Accolade we had the dealer add
Solar panel and controller
Mobile Eye
Winegard Connect 2 4 G LTE and WiFi booster
Vent cover

I will say we like the 37TS floorplan because of the triple slides which when opened provides a very spacious living area up front and with only myself and the DW we don't need the 1/2 bath.

I have not yet checked the MPG and will not do so until I have at least 3500 miles on the coach. I do plan on adding a scan gauge in the near future.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Old 02-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #14

Thanks Dave. Great insight. Have you had the Mobile Eye on prior units? Does it work as they claim? I really like that product as far as it's intended purpose. Thanks again for the reply.

Bill
vanovafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #15

We thought we liked the TS but the dealer had a 37K and found it worked better for us. After getting over the slide and window repairs that are needed,we are really happy with the purchase.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks Dave. Great insight. Have you had the Mobile Eye on prior units? Does it work as they claim? I really like that product as far as it's intended purpose. Thanks again for the reply.

Bill
First time with Mobile Eye but my Lincoln and the Jeep have similar and more advanced systems. Mobile Eye is a passive info only system. My others are active. I’m happy with it.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #17

Quote:

That is why we chose the Seneca... after having a smaller Class-C, and considering upgrading - I asked the DW if we skip a bunch of models and get the rig we will like to use when retired... the DW said go get it - done that week.
Quote:
Handles better than anything else we have ever driven or ridden in. I have to catch myself driving with two fingers and cruise control way too often.
Quote:
Not for us.. more in the 7-10 range, but running with the genny on and pulling a loaded trailer with total weight at 33k.
Quote:
That question must be answered by your DW! Floorplan is one of the biggest reasons for choosing a Seneca. Our preference is the 36FK (that is not built any more)
Quote:
Every one the options that you can afford!
Quote:
... another DW question
Quote:

Bill
We bought a barely used (9,000mi) rig - so we did not have to take the depreciation and have to deal with all the things that the Dealer / Pre-PDI inspection failed to notice (spelled: IGNORED)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #18

Seneca owner

I have a 2019 Jayco Seneca and I am having a lot of problems with it, walls falling apart, digital antenna fell off, fridge latch/ fridge door has to be replaced, window having to be replaced/now looks terrible, rear cap cracked, stress cracks in panels among many other things. worst part about it...take it in to get fixed and they screw up more things then they actually fix. I have also had several problems with the freightliner/chassis part, power steering pump cut my first vacation short and completely rune the one to follow because dealer could not fix pump in a week. next was the DEF header witch puts the truck into limp mode...then try to find someone to help you is almost impossible. Freightliner has 24hr service places but they are NOT FOR RV's. I researched mine before I purchased but I am definitely not living the dream like I researched.
Completely disappointed with my purchase from Dixie RV and there service department, as I reply to this thread my RV is in the shop again. I wish I could just give it back. This purchase has ruined my retirement, will be paying for a POS for many years to come.
schultzmna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #19

How is the Seneca

Very disappointed owner of a 2018 Seneca 37ts. Soooo many things have “gone south” & the repairs (under warranty) have kept the unit in the shop off & on for10 months due to “we are waiting on parts!!” they say to me. The leveling system has stopped working 2 different times with different causes.
Can not recommend a Seneca purchase.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #20

Thumbs up Loving the 37 RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
I'm sort of in the same boat... Own a Greyhawk 30X now that we haven't even had a full year and I already want a Seneca/Acolade 37RB... We haven't made the move since we figure we're going to get killed on our 30X trade and will have to have a massive downpayment to compensate so... It is what it is...

Jeff
We are in a 2015 37RB my DW loves the fact that company can use the front washroom without having to go through our bedroom. As for the coach issues, Jacob and Jayco stepped up pretty good. When moving something like this down the back roads we take to go trail riding something always seems to shake loose so being handy and fixing things your self will be an asset. But keeping up with all the great mods others have done NOW ! that's a different story. But all in all very satisfied with our unit.
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new owner