Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #1

How it all started and where we are now?

As I face a new year I ponder on the past. My camping experience started with just me and the missus in a 9 1/2 vanguard camper and truck. Then two little ones arrived and grew . We picked up a 1976 20RG Minnie Winnie rebuilt it top to bottom , front to back and had an adventure. In 1996 we left when the kids got out school and headed south, through Yellow Stone then Mount Rushmore, south through Graceland and ending up in Kissimmee for the summer, short excursion into the keys then got home 3 days before school started, 7 weeks of RV living created memories for a lifetime. Then shifted from wheels to land via a lake front cabin. After a few years kids got older, found other interests, so sold the land and back to wheels for me and the missus. We started with a class A 34 foot Winnebago. After a few trips wife did not like the feel of swaying in the wind while driving, so we down sized to a 2010 28 foot Itasca Cambria. It did all we asked of it, towed our atv's,great to road trip with. BUT ! then with retirement looming and longer trips planned for us we needed more room and storage. Enter the 2015 37rb Seneca, I truly like this model and the floor plan works for us. I have had to do a lot of TLC to make things right. This forum has been an immense source of information and help. We have a big trip planned to be at the factory April 23rd then onto a trip south into Florida, back up through the west and home. So in closing I think about the path that got us here and wonder how others have progressed to their current RV. It would be nice to hear of some of them. To all have my JOF family have a very happy and safe New year's eve , may in 2018 we all have health , happiness and safe travels, Gord and Lady B
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #2

How do you make an appointment at the factory, and does your unit have to still be under warranty? Would like to covert the over the cab bed area into the entertainment center, we now realize that we don’t use that area for sleeping. Might just have to hire a professional carpenter. Happy New Year ��
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1mc View Post
How do you make an appointment at the factory, and does your unit have to still be under warranty?
Call and ask for the service center. As to warranty, didn't previously, but it will probably depend on how busy they are.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1mc View Post
How do you make an appointment at the factory, and does your unit have to still be under warranty? Would like to covert the over the cab bed area into the entertainment center, we now realize that we don’t use that area for sleeping. Might just have to hire a professional carpenter. Happy New Year ��
Joe, my main contact was Randy West he was always great to deal with. He has moved on and his replacement is a gentleman by the name of Mitchell Grooms. I will be meeting him at the Factory visit. My unit runs out of it's two year warranty at the end of May hence the April visit. His contact info is as follows. PH #800-517-9137 Opt.1 Opt.2 . His email address is Mitchell_Grooms@jayco.com . I hope this helps. A happy New Year to you as well.
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #5

How it all started and where we are now?

The original post sort of got side tracked but I thought I would let you know how we got here. I went from dead stop with no motor home experience to full speed ahead. I used to tent camp as a kid all across the country. So I had lots of camping experience. As I have gotten older ground camping started to have less of an appeal but I still love to travel and see this wonderful country. I travel and stay in hotels during the week and the thought of staying in hotels over the weekend was not what I wanted. A friend has a Discovery class a and we had traveled with them a few times. Two years ago I took my family to California wine country and to see the redwoods. This released a lot of memories and started the itch so after a year of looking we decided on the Seneca and the rest is history.
Glad I have to opportunity to travel with my family and our dog in our own home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #6

We have a factory appointment on May 1st to work on our bedroom slide - warranty ends May 18th.

We have been camping our whole married life, almost 49 years now. As our signature indicates, we've had a few; and each, even the purchase mistakes, have served their purpose. We're now retired and travel all over with our motorhome. We honestly don't know what life would have been without camping all these years. Our four children agree that they have been some of the best times we've had. Their families now camp, too. It gets in your blood. We owned the Shasta the longest, 22 years.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #7

Gord and Lady B. That is a very interesting post that you wrote. It caused me to reflect on how we ended up with our campers and our adventures.
I thought that it would take a lengthy post to sum it up but maybe not. Here goes.
The feeling that we get from, getting up in the morning, make a thermos of coffee, get in our rig and head down the road not knowing where we will end up that day. We will have a distant idea where we want to get to but it might be days away. We love that feeling, gypsies so to speak.
Bob and Lorraine plus our pooch Maggie
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote