Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2020, 12:37 AM   #1

how often Class C motorhome needs regular service?

For full-timer, Class C motorhome is home. How often Class C motorhome needs regular service? same day service?

If something goes wrong, normally how long does it usually take to get fixed? During these days, where to find a place to stay? hotel? expense covered by warranty?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:15 AM   #2

Hotel expense during warranty service is not paid by the manufacturer, that is your expense. The warranty will state the unit is for recreational use and not for full time living. Depending an where is is serviced some dealers have hookups for folks to stay on their lots temporarily but the question would be did that dealer sell you the rig and if not are they willing to service something they did not sell.

How often it needs service depends on the build and how often systems are used and fail.

The chassis will need service per the chassis manufacturer's recommendations.

Enjoy the journey.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #3

You will find that most things you can research and fix yourself. Because of long wait times to get into dealers in large city’s it is easier to just do it yourself. In first year of ownership I required the dealer one time. This was when we were in Billings Montana area. Stayed in area for three days to get in to shop. Fix took less than an hour and we were on our way. Good luck and safe travels.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #4

Depends on the chassis as well. The Mercedes chassis is up 20k mile intervals but a lot of owners including me choose 10k. Not sure what the Ford and Dodge intervals are but before I got the MB never heard of a 20k interval for oil and other Maint. Locally it takes about a full day to get a standard service but if you wait on it they say allow for 4 hours. I have never waited because I get a loaner car but if you do wait there are “free” snack and drinks and plush leather chairs to sit in.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Depends on the chassis as well. The Mercedes chassis is up 20k mile intervals but a lot of owners including me choose 10k. Not sure what the Ford and Dodge intervals are but before I got the MB never heard of a 20k interval for oil and other Maint. Locally it takes about a full day to get a standard service but if you wait on it they say allow for 4 hours. I have never waited because I get a loaner car but if you do wait there are “free” snack and drinks and plush leather chairs to sit in.
For regular service such as oil change, can we do it ourselves? is it difficult or easy? It is better to not drive home to the shop and wait there for many hours.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Hotel expense during warranty service is not paid by the manufacturer, that is your expense. The warranty will state the unit is for recreational use and not for full time living. Depending an where is is serviced some dealers have hookups for folks to stay on their lots temporarily but the question would be did that dealer sell you the rig and if not are they willing to service something they did not sell.

How often it needs service depends on the build and how often systems are used and fail.

The chassis will need service per the chassis manufacturer's recommendations.

Enjoy the journey.
That would be very nice to have hookup in dealer's lot. RV manufactures should have agreement with dealers on this. We as RV owners should request this.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:13 PM   #7

Our 2020 Ford E450 is a commercial vehicle. It only needs oil changes at 7500 mile intervals. That said, I want a Ford dealer to look it over when I go in for routine maintenance and not trust a 3rd party to spot any issues I might overlook. The V10 engine easily gets 200K without issues.

Get your maintenance done at home between trips rather than on the road. If you are full time then you may want to use the OEM dealers so the manufacturer has a record of who did what when to back up any future warranty claim. Also, having a Toad will give you a set of wheels to find accommodations should you need to leave it for a day or so.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
That would be very nice to have hookup in dealer's lot. RV manufactures should have agreement with dealers on this. We as RV owners should request this.

There are six pads over at Transwest in Frederick CO. No hookups but you can "boondock" a couple hundred feet from I-25 while you're waiting for them to get you in for your appointment.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #9

Between the Chassis manual, the Jayco owners manual and all the individual system manuals that come in that big package, when you bought your rig, will have any necessary preventative and scheduled maintenance sections in them. As far as corrective maintenance and warranty work is concerned call the dealer, where you bought it or a local authorized deal and ask the directly.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #10

When Class C motorhome is being serviced/repaired, can we stay inside the motorhome cooking meals or even sleeping inside? Is it being serviced/repaired right in an open parking lot, or need to be put into a small covered repair shop like regular cars? If it is in open parking lot being serviced/repaired from outside, we can stay inside motorhome comfortably, and do not need hotel.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #11

Quote:
When Class C motorhome is being serviced/repaired, can we stay inside the motorhome cooking meals or even sleeping inside? Is it being serviced/repaired right in an open parking lot, or need to be put into a small covered repair shop like regular cars? If it is in open parking lot being serviced/repaired from outside, we can stay inside motorhome comfortably, and do not need hotel.
No repair shop worth 2 cents will allow you to stay in a unit while it is serviced. The shop’s insurance will not allow it and you will be a disruption to the flow of work. Plan accordingly.

The diesel quick lubes might let you stay inside during an oil change.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:05 AM   #12

We service our Seneca twice a year, Spring and Fall. Oil change and filter plus grease zerts and a general check over by another set of eyes. Fuel filters get changed each Spring. In both cases, is between 5K and 10K. The generator is done at the same interval. Some may think this is a little much, but oil and filters are cheap compare to repair. We go to our dealership (MH2GO) for Jayco style needs and we go to a Freightliner Truck Center (Truck Centers of America) for those needs. Generator has gone in to a Cummins dealer once after 500 hours. It was warranty work. Our goal is to not break down on the road. 80K and 5 years and doing well, so far.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #13

Ours is required to be serviced once each year or 20,000 miles, but we do 10,000. We have an extended Mercedes warranty that we purchased when we bought. The warranty began after our regular Mercedes warranty ran out at 3 years or 36,000 miles. Our extended goes 7 years or 177,000 miles (from new - so we added 4 more years). Cost us $4,500. It's already almost paid for itself with 2 DEF system repairs ($1500 each). DEF is the weak link on the Mercedes. Both times, we had cracked DEF pump and injector leaks. We also have a service plan - 4 years at $2400 that includes service schedule A, B and C. A is oil change, fuel filter change, fuel water separator change (extremely important with these engines) every year; B is every other year brake system flush, new wiper blades, all new filters; C includes transmission oil filter change and all the other things on A & B. In the long-run it saves us $1600 vs going in for each thing and paying individually out of pocket. It follows all Mercedes maintenance recommendations. It's peace of mind and is good at any Mercedes dealer anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. We are at 4 1/2 years and 45,000 miles. We're not usually into warranties, but these have been well worth it for us. Things (other than oil changes) are complicated these days; and it's nice to know that no matter where we are, we can go to Mercedes. Their service is excellent...we've never had to leave our MH overnight.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #14

I think learning to perform routine maintenance on an rv is part of the journey. It helps to have some mechanical knowledge, but you can usually tap a friend and watch and learn. Saves a lot of money and reduces inconvenience.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #15

Doesn't reduce inconvenience when you live in Wyoming, and you're in Maine, and your DEF pump goes out. Have always performed my own maintenance on any car I've ever owned, and have done some pretty complex work on our RVs. You just reach a point in life when it's just not fun anymore. Like changing a motorhome tire instead of getting a roadside assistance policy for $90 a year. To each his own.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:09 AM   #16

Quote:
For regular service such as oil change, can we do it ourselves? is it difficult or easy? It is better to not drive home to the shop and wait there for many hours.
We have had our Greyhawk for almost 3 years and I have changed the oil 3 times. Parked it on a level street at the end of my driveway, used the leveling jacks to raise it up as high as it would go and slide under the front.

Not a difficult process unless you have to struggle to get the first oil filter off. I would also strongly recommend not only a very large oil container but some of those shops towels for wiping up spilled oil. Yes, I can attest to why that is a good suggestion! Wear some disposable gloves too.

Much less expensive than using any shop or dealer, IMO.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #17

Oh yeah, and not sure if anyone has pointed out that for some Jayco dealers, you may wait up to 3 months for an appointment! I'm not saying they will keep your RV that long, I am saying you might not even be able to drop it off for 3 months. Not counting how long it will take to them to repair whatever.

Our local (Ft. Worth, TX) dealer has told us this many times. I ended up going to a local RV rental, repair and resale place much closer to home and Jayco allowed them to do the warranty repairs, typically in under a week and then reimbursed me. We used our dealer one time for the first list of fixes right after we took our first trip. From that point on, it was essentially impossible to get in to see them. Thankfully Jayco allowed us to go local once I told them it was 90+ days (dealer) vs. 5 days (local).
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #18

Ford dealer

The 1st and only time so far, I had the oil changed in my Ford E-450 chassis Greyhawk motorhome, I took it to a Ford dealer that services big trucks and motorhomes.
Mullahey Ford in Arroyo Grande CA. They charged $100. While the chassis is still under warranty, I want to make sure I have a service record. Note not all Ford dealers service our motorhomes.
Skysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote