Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2022, 11:45 AM   #1

2013 31XL Redhawk plywood rotted underneath slide

Hey,

The plywood "sandwich" which exists between the steel slide mount and the aluminum subfloor has greatly deteriorated and needs to be replaced. I do not want to take out the slide floor (which seems to be sturdy and in good condition) and believe I can loosen the slide mount nuts to hammer in a piece or two of steel to support the slide and then replace the rest of the plywood with marine grade that surrounds this area. Thoughts or concerns?
Mandopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:15 PM   #2

Exclamation How to best seam plywood over aluminum frame

Hello,

I have some extensive rot in the area by my couch slide on a 2013 Redhawk 31XL. The frame underneath the plywood subfloor is aluminum. What is the best way to seam the new plywood together with the existing plywood that is undamaged? Id like to add some support blocking/cross member to support the seam. Would this need be welded because its aluminum? This seems to have some issues with the vacuum bonding and the ability to access the weld from the side that would be underneath the remaining plywood. Any other ideas? I cant use a joist hanger with the aluminum only being 2" wide x 1.5" tall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-27-2022, 02:27 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandopolis View Post
Hello,

I have some extensive rot in the area by my couch slide on a 2013 Redhawk 31XL. The frame underneath the plywood subfloor is aluminum. What is the best way to seam the new plywood together with the existing plywood that is undamaged? Id like to add some support blocking/cross member to support the seam. Would this need be welded because its aluminum? This seems to have some issues with the vacuum bonding and the ability to access the weld from the side that would be underneath the remaining plywood. Any other ideas? I cant use a joist hanger with the aluminum only being 2" wide x 1.5" tall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
One caution first is be very careful when welding on a MH. There is an array of electrical items on the rig that can be severely damaged when current starts flowing through the chassis, not the least of which is the torqshift transmission. Otherwise check out Simpson Strong Tie at any hardware store, run a series of 12-18" heavy duty straps and secure them with wood screws.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
One caution first is be very careful when welding on a MH. There is an array of electrical items on the rig that can be severely damaged when current starts flowing through the chassis, not the least of which is the torqshift transmission. Otherwise check out Simpson Strong Tie at any hardware store, run a series of 12-18" heavy duty straps and secure them with wood screws.

Wow, wouldn't have thought of that with the welder. Thanks! Not sure what you mean by the Simpson products though. Do you mean span them across the gap between the aluminum joists? Otherwise, I would need joist hangars that are smaller than for a 2x4, and I didn't see those unless there is a product I missed. I have included a pic showing where the support needs to go, The aluminum joists are only 1.5" x 2". Any other help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-27-2022, 05:32 PM   #5

Here is the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Inkedplywood seam.jpg  
Old 09-27-2022, 05:37 PM   #6

Here some pic of the area I'm referring to. Might be hard to see, but i would try to remove the rest of the rotten plywood and wedge the steel between the aluminum frame and steel slide mount.

Here is also a video where a guy wedges some steel underneath the slide where the wood was for support.

(the part I'm referring to starts at about 6:00)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2420.jpg   IMG_2419.jpg   IMG_2421.jpg   IMG_2422.jpg  
Old 09-27-2022, 05:38 PM   #7

Sorry the pics are upside down! (not sure why because they are right side up on my computer)

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:47 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandopolis View Post
Here is the pic
Kinda hard to tell exactly what you've got there, but if you've removed a section of decking, lay the new one in and use flat metal straps on the underside to secure the new section to the existing decking. Use the heavier gauge straps., Simpson carries two gauges. Most any big box lumber store will have them. They'll be in the same section with the joist hangars, etc.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
31xl, frame, plywood, plywood seam, rot, seam, slide