Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #1

How to check tire pressure on sprinter 3500 dually

for the life of me, I can not figure this out. I know there has got to be a way to do it short of jacking her up and pulling the tires.
this is a '2017 Melbourne 24L on a 2016 sprinter 3500. I had thought to put valve extension on but the manual advises against it. was told by my Mercedes shop that this model has a tpms system installed but it only alarms when the pressure is low.

appreciate any help, first motorhome but been slide in pickup camping for 30 years, never dually.
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:38 AM   #2

If your Mercedes shop tells you the 3500 dual wheel Sprinter has OEM TPMS I would find another shop. The only way I have found to get an internal TPMS is one that uses a band to hold the sensor verses one incorporated in the valve and a separate screen in the cab to monitor the pressures. Extensions are not a good idea unless you use steel valves. the rubber valves MB uses will leak and fail over time with extensions.
I use this dually valve kit like this with cap type sensors.
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/produ...yvalve-dl1sp13
More expensive but if you are going to use cap style sensors it is a good solution.
In the meantime or if you are not going the TPMS route a truckers type gauge with dual chucks is a way to check all 4 rears. Not easy with the rubber valves but doable with practice. Here is an example of the type I am talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-ATG18...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #3

Here are some threads that may interest you on the Sprinter Forum. I cant find the original one I was thinking of but these will give you some ideas.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...hreads/101181/

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/98013/

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/64193/

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...4/#post-976533
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:07 PM   #4

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate the information. now, to find a shop that has some experience to install the tpms.

ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
If your Mercedes shop tells you the 3500 dual wheel Sprinter has OEM TPMS I would find another shop. The only way I have found to get an internal TPMS is one that uses a band to hold the sensor verses one incorporated in the valve and a separate screen in the cab to monitor the pressures. Extensions are not a good idea unless you use steel valves. the rubber valves MB uses will leak and fail over time with extensions.
I use this dually valve kit like this with cap type sensors.
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/produ...yvalve-dl1sp13
More expensive but if you are going to use cap style sensors it is a good solution.
In the meantime or if you are not going the TPMS route a truckers type gauge with dual chucks is a way to check all 4 rears. Not easy with the rubber valves but doable with practice. Here is an example of the type I am talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-ATG18...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old 09-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #5

We bought our 2021 Melbourne 24L last fall and it was clear to me the inner dually would be a huge pain to get to for removing and reinstalling the cap after inflating with an extended air chuck. Add to that the fact that all the valve stems were rubber, which are basically not the best to put it mildly. So I was off to the races in researching the best option for replacement stems that would be reliable, durable and provide easy access for checking and inflating. I went with the DL1SP13 Chrome Dually Valve Kit and added the front ones with it. My local tire shop installed all six this spring for $200. We took a 2,600 mile trip with them in May with no problems at all. They make checking air pressure as easy as it is with a car. We’re about to leave on a 5,000 trip in September and I just checked the pressures for the first time since May. No air loss at all. I would highly recommend these to anyone with duallys. One other thing: ours is a Sprinter 3500. The metal stems on front did come in slight contact with the chrome wheel cover hole it passed through. So I just took a drill chuck mounted grinding wheel and elongated the one hole on each side a bit to prevent any chance of chaffing through. The stems are chromed but they are actually made of brass so you don’t want anything rubbing on the sides.
PartsUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:08 PM   #6

nice to hear of a working solution! thanks

ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartsUnknown View Post
We bought our 2021 Melbourne 24L last fall and it was clear to me the inner dually would be a huge pain to get to for removing and reinstalling the cap after inflating with an extended air chuck. Add to that the fact that all the valve stems were rubber, which are basically not the best to put it mildly. So I was off to the races in researching the best option for replacement stems that would be reliable, durable and provide easy access for checking and inflating. I went with the DL1SP13 Chrome Dually Valve Kit and added the front ones with it. My local tire shop installed all six this spring for $200. We took a 2,600 mile trip with them in May with no problems at all. They make checking air pressure as easy as it is with a car. We’re about to leave on a 5,000 trip in September and I just checked the pressures for the first time since May. No air loss at all. I would highly recommend these to anyone with duallys. One other thing: ours is a Sprinter 3500. The metal stems on front did come in slight contact with the chrome wheel cover hole it passed through. So I just took a drill chuck mounted grinding wheel and elongated the one hole on each side a bit to prevent any chance of chaffing through. The stems are chromed but they are actually made of brass so you don’t want anything rubbing on the sides.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #7

It's a 2017 Jayco Melbourne, 39k miles.
When new, I took it to a truck tire shop here in Albuquerque. Not to a chain tire store.
Bought four metal valve stems from the shop. It was $120, I seem to recall.
They installed them, $10 each.
Now, checking tire pressure a 2-minute task.
Never had valve stem leaks. Although some people don't like 'em.
Lots of people install tire-pressure monitors and love 'em.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote