Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #1

how to clean front cap on our Greyhawk?

We just got our Class C this spring and now we have bugs on the front cap. Does anyone have any good, easy, safe ways of cleaning that cap? We have found it hard to reach across to get to the middle (need longer arms?) Any suggestions would be appreciated -
3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Site Team

I've seen several brushes that have an telescopic handle for tall, or hard to reach areas. You can also spray on Bug and Black Streak remover to soften them up first, brush the area, and hose it off. If you need to, you can get closer to the front with a step ladder, but it's best to have someone spot you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #3

Two step process

How clean the cap gets depends on my energy level... Doing it properly is a two step process for me. I use a soft bristle brush and start from up on the roof and brush down the cap. Then I get my ladder and work the bottom half.

I use a wash and wax product... I am sure seperate products would do a better job but I don't see any safe way to do a proper wax and buff job on that cap.

My last TT had Diamond Coat on it.... I really miss that finish!!!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:03 PM   #4

a couple of good ideas

Thanks for the ideas - a spray bug cleaner would be something to look for, we have used bug cleaner on our previous 5er that is poured onto a rag and rubbed on. Also, finding a wash and wax combo would be a time and work saver!
3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #5

I Use soft scrub for the bugs and oxidation and then gave it a good waxing and buff for shine. I was able to reach all areas on my with a six foot ladder.
DumpStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #6

Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpStation View Post
I Use soft scrub for the bugs and oxidation and then gave it a good waxing and buff for shine. I was able to reach all areas on my with a six foot ladder.
Great that you can pull it off, but that is some serious gymnastics my friend. Unless you are incredibly tall I have to assume to stand on the top rung???... I have fallen off a ladder once cleaning an RV... Not a mistake I intend to replicate.

Just trying to envision the logistics... Are you coming at it from the sides or reaching over the hood of the truck? Heck I can't even reach the entire windshield let alone buff the end cap.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Great that you can pull it off, but that is some serious gymnastics my friend. Unless you are incredibly tall I have to assume to stand on the top rung???... I have fallen off a ladder once cleaning an RV... Not a mistake I intend to replicate.

Just trying to envision the logistics... Are you coming at it from the sides or reaching over the hood of the truck? Heck I can't even reach the entire windshield let alone buff the end cap.
I'm actually short, 5'6" but very nimble and my Greyhawk is an 09 and has more of a box shaped overhead cab design than yours so it's easier to reach from a 6' step ladder side angled from the 2nd highest rug.

For your type of cabover I would use two 6' steps side to side and build a scaffold using a new 2X10x8 or two of these boards screwed together if over 200lbs. I'd position it 6" away from the tip of the cab. This way you wouldn't have to lean too far over, compromising the stability of the scaffold. If stability is a concern, I would screw or mount the far side leg bottoms, or feet of the ladders each to a piece 2x6x4 laying it flat, extending the extra length of the boards away from the front of the rig. This will eleminate any tipping concerns. I built a setup like this year's ago when I rehabbed the cabover on my older 1st rig that suffered delamination from water damage.
DumpStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #8

I use a swifer with spray9 reliable cleaner, then use their spray wax and the swiffer to buff it. Works good from the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #9

I have an 08 GH 31ss, and use a 6' step ladder turned sideways (front & rear ladder legs against bumper) and climb up, then put one foot lightly on the black strip where the wipers are located and the other foot close to the ladder leg closest to the bumper. Wife holds the ladder for me, and I can reach the top of the front cap/clearance lights. I do have to move the ladder as I'm careful not to over reach in this position, but it works for me. I'm 6' tall, 210#, I've not heard the black strip crack or make a sound while standing like this.

I can scrub the bugs off, even apply wax and use a buffer in this position, just need to be careful and not over reach.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #10

Or one of those HD ladder units that folds into a scaffold. Very sturdy but pricey. I use the long brush and goo stepladder from both sides and a step stool for the center front. I get some from the roof during roof cleaning and wax as much as possible.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:29 AM   #11

I do two additional tasks at most fuel stops, clean the windshield and clean the front cap. I pull my soft bristle brush from the rear bay, extend it, drop it in the window cleaner bunch and go to town.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #12

Okay I have done this a few times on my last Tioga, but its not very safe. I park it next to a solid 6 foot fence. Put an 8' ladder on opposite side of MH. Than I put a 2 x 8 to span across at the 6 foot height. This puts you over the hood area able to reach the upper cap to clean and wax.
2007 Jayco Seneca 34SS, Duramax
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD Dbl-Cab = Toad
SousaInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #13

Pressure washer

I decided that since it costs about $40 a pop to wash my Grayhawk at the local truck wash, I would invest in a powerwasher. For about $200 (the cost of 5 washes) I got myself an electric one that has about a 2000 psi output, which I found was pretty much enough to blow the bugs off the front cap, the front headlights, the doors, the mirrors, everything. Not much bug glue can withstand a 2000 psi blast of wter, although some put up a good fight.

I started by washing with a soapy mix , brushed it down, then went to a spraying! I had to work pretty fast here in Texas, as it was about 103 outside and the water was evaporating pretty fast, but it did the job.
TimHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #14

Pressure Washer Caution

Just a word of caution to Pressure Washer users... Unless you invested in full body paint... Be very careful! I did not supervise the kids while pressure washing my old TT... The decals did not survive!

Old 05-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #15

Falling off ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did a tumble from the top of a ladder when washing my Class A....... now l have. Class C and it is just as tall and l agree, not going to do that act again, l use a extension pole now.
Toad: 2013 Honda CRV
US NAVY & ARMY
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #16

I use an extension ladder lying against the cap with split pool noodles on the ladder to protect from scratches.
landinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #17

I use this, it works well for me getting the bugs off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #18

I use a swifer and simple green, works for me, just double up the pads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #19

I built a scaffold from an aluminum extension ladder I had setting around, added a few c-clamps to keep it secure while I am on it. I set the height then drive our Seneca up to it with the DW spotting for me. The picture shows it in the lower position, but it can be raised it up so I can easily clean and apply a coat of Rejex to the upper area of the cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Wash day1.jpg  
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #20

I also wax with ReJex. With a coat of that on your rv the bugs come off much easier. You can buy it on Amazon. I've used it for years, easy on, easy off.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote