Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #1

Hughes Autoformer

My Shore Power setup....
It's winter and my new Jayco Melbourne Elite (30amp)is just sitting there. Well that don't mean I can't get stuff now to prep her out for early spring. Good buys out there to now, being off season.

So I bought me a Hughes Autoformer, a Hughes Bulldog surge whip, and the Progresive EMS HW30C. Wiring..?? ..well heres my thoughts....
I got the surge whip at the pedestal to catch surges/spikes before the Autoformer. The Autoformer has surge protection but if it trips the whole darn things got to be shipped back...plus then I have nothing while it's gone. Also gives me a double trip if it's a serious close lightening strike, I had that once scared me to death. The Autoformer doesn't pull power from the main trunk line...has a kicker and capacitor setup retaining a specific level. This way brown outs won't burn my electronics up. From there going to the Progresive EMS, it's primary purpose is for a power timer. If the power fluctuates drastically or kicks off and back on...a timer kicks in so she doesn't burn my AC. ECT.
I'm going to omit my Jayco plug in..just let it be, but not hard wired in. I'm placing my Autoformer and EMS in the rear bay with a (capped 3"PVC) fitting (cut neat,flush,sealed) to the bottom of the compartment. Now I connect to the pedestal and drop my power line out of the base of the comparment to hookup.
So technically there is 3 surge protectors inline...couldn't figure away to get arround not having a 3rd one. The EMS had me stumped, but I wanted a quality one.

Well I posted this for chat, tips, and insight. Did I buy right or wrong?? Is my system going to work?? Give me your thoughts....next is 2 POWER INVERTERs/1-SOLAR System and primary...the 2nd inverter is for BOON Docking. Scratching my head already on that one.
Happy camping to all, and safe travels.
The Old Goat
Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #2

IMHO a EMS (& water regulator) is a must have for all RV's.
The Autoformer will keep you up and running in the event of a low voltage problem.
A less expensive surge protector at the pedestal is relatively inexpensive insurance.
So if you have tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands tied up in your RV and a electrical (or water) problem could cost you thousands. A few hundred dollars is no big deal.
I also have a SSP-50x at the pedsetal. I have the autoformer in the basement. I have the EMS-HW50C installed just behind the main power panel.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #3

Thank you 2naEagle for your reply,

I was hoping to see someone reply who was running this setup in "a series" installation. My reasoning is running (3) surge protectors back to back, in-line. Sometimes with electronic
situations running multiple units in a series will distort, deplete, or all togeather eliminate their effectiveness and pupose.
Myself....hoping the surge/spike protection in this scenario would add layers of protection rather than rendering it inoperable. The AutoFormer and Progresive EMS seems to be a "sistered application" for many users. The Hughes Bulldog at the pedestal was actually my primary concern of over engineering and causing posiable problems.
The fact "you" have a working system with the surge protection prior to the Autoformer, with the EMS " after the Autoformer says the system works. Thank you...

I question..??.. Have you had any problems and/or situation where the system actually did protect your MAIN PANEL??? Being surge, spikes, brown outs,lightening strikes; I don't wish that on you and hopefully you never have. BUT.....I'm installing the setup, yet in the back of my mind I will question the effectiveness untill tested. I feel, I/we have given a ton of prevention that is feeseable and costly. Yet compared to other cost factors due to spikes/low voltage in repairs and ruining a good RV trip, I think its worth it.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #4

My Autoformer is a old one and doesn't have surge protection. I started off just carrying is with me. If the voltage would run in the low teens I would plug it in. When I got the new trailer I just went ahead and installed it semi permanent behind the basement wall. So far I haven't had any problems. You can see it here at post #9 https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-43104.html
Old 02-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #5

FWIW, my setup is autoformer, ATS (so the house is protected from a failing genset also), and EMS.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #6

I feel like a failure as an engineer, I only have an EMS in-line! I guess I need 2 more boxes in-line to be legit.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
I feel like a failure as an engineer, I only have an EMS in-line! I guess I need 2 more boxes in-line to be legit.
Just gotta have all the latest stuff huh! It's an addiction ya know.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #8

HUGHES MANUFACTURING.....POST UPDATE..I contacted them Contacted via phone on 02/11/19
3-UPDATES POSTED

Newer Autoformer (SP) Models, mine is a RV2130-SP....The Autoformer does NOT have to be mailed back to the manufacturer if the surge protection blows. The "older" models still do.The new (SP) Models ONLY have a user friendly replacement surge protection which can now be installed. Not like the older models where the whole #35pd unit must be mailed back. Ordering replacement is direct from Hughes and they ship to YOU directly.

PWD30- Surge whip....This unit also has a replaceable surge protection. Like the Autoformer, the replacement is $28 totol shipped to you.this also must be purchased directly It is easy and user friendly to replace. (Note: This for me makes checking the pedestal much easier prior to caravan plug in. My Utoformer is built "inside" the caravan making the visual light check hard to see.)

I spoke to them concerning the setup with the Progresive EMS HW30C installation as well. Here are the technicians at HUGHES recommendation fro installation, after an explanation as to why.

At the RV POWER PEDESTAL...note : (sistered 30A/50A surge whip and Autoformer applies, amperage dependent on caravan reqirements)
1ST...Install PWD30 surge whip...after inline next
2nd..Install Autoformer ...after inline next
3rd..EMS unit (I purchased Progresive HW30C)

Hughes technician stated: This setup gives superior protection with the reason why. The PWD-30 whip at pedestal allows easy testing of hard wiring safety conditions at the pedestal. The whip will take the surge rather than the Autoformer. The replacement part very rarely needs replaced. I wanted a spare and the rep stated they haven't sold hardly any (5 maybe6) over the years. The unit is sturdy and reliable.

The Autoformer next inline...Reasoning statement: The Autoformer also has a owner replaceable surge protector. But the AutoFormers primary purpose is to Boost power under low amp line load. Also the Autoformer retains all the low level amp cutoffs if required. (Note) You now have 2 surge/spike protection plus and low level and wiring protection with this format. BUT NO HIGH AMP PROTECTION.

Progresive EMS Iinstallation next....This gets installed after the Autoformer (just before actual wiring to the caravan). Reasoning statement: The EMS unit serves as a HIGH AMP cut off if for some reason the Hughes Autoformer Boosts above limits...also the EMS usually will have a timer delay if a power shutdown or rolling power outages occur. This allows equipment in the caravan (compressor units) to reset without a pressurized hard start. Also the EMS scans the full inline wiring setup for hazard condition (if detectable) and shuts down the whole wiring apparatus.

My Notes/Views/Thoughts.....The Autoformer and EMS unit should be purchased togeather if finances allow...(again not a neccessaty but wise if it can be accomplished.) Autoformer has built in inline wiring safety checks and a surge protector, also the EMS is a full "FINAL" Layer of protection to your coaches sensitive equipment as well as costly refrigeration and A.C. repairs. The PWD30..pedestal power whip is not a necessity (but note for $100) it layers protection to the Autoformer. Also the replacement surge protection is a much easier task than The Autoformer is if you have it BUILT IN your caravan as I do.The Autoformer and EMS is primary for low and high level Amp/spike/surge protection. With a spike tripping the Autoformer and surge replacement being required...you have defeated the whole system for not purchasing the pedestal protection.

My purchases as follows on 02/2019...AMAZON
PWD-30.....$99.55
Hughes Autoformer RV2130-SP...344.52 (note: be sure to by the newer (SP) model)
Progresive EMS HW30C..$226.65

Hughes Manufacturer contact
888-540-1504

Additional notes....This setup is expensive and may not be for everyone's needs or requirements. But for me it works, now truth be said. Lets hope I never need the surge or spike protection. But I do know in many cases, I encountered rolling power outages and fluctuations. I also encountered low line votage/amperage at the parks.

Hope this post helps and....Happy Camping and Trails to ALL.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #9

Thank you for the information.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #10

FYI, the Progressive EMS-HW30C spec sheet states that it has over/under voltage protection but no over current protection. I witnessed this a couple of weeks ago when I saw the current on my display go up to 43 amps for a bit before the house breaker tripped.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:30 AM   #11

You got the jist of things. Did you check the voltage with the A/C on without the Autoformer? That might surprise you.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote