Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2023, 12:18 PM   #1
MDR

Humming sound

I have a humming sound coming from under the bed slide out when hooked up to 30 amp any ideas. Thanks
MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:27 PM   #2

Transfer switch, or perhaps your converter.

Not necessarily a problem (other than the sound that could be irritating). To know for sure you could raise your mattress and take out the screws for the piece of plywood that covers the electrical components under the bed and take a closer look.
~CA
Old 01-31-2023, 01:01 PM   #3
MDR

Humming

It is the automatic transfer switch that’s humming . I took your advice and pulled the plywood up. Is it safe to use for a couple of months as we are on the road
MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR View Post
It is the automatic transfer switch that’s humming . I took your advice and pulled the plywood up. Is it safe to use for a couple of months as we are on the road
The humming isn't a safety concern, more of an annoyance. It could become louder or even quieter at different times, locations, and different power loads so if you hear a change in the humming, that is not a concern either (unless it is super loud perhaps). Some RV'rs have replaced theirs and I have read where some newer ones are quieter, but I don't have a recommendation for one in particular.

One tip for the transfer switch (unrelated to the humming) is to have everything that uses 120v turned off that you can (more for the higher power consumption items) when switching for shore power to gen power and when connecting\disconnecting from shore power as that will allow the transfer switch to last longer (the contacts in the switch in particular). ~CA
Old 01-31-2023, 01:26 PM   #5

You do not mention what year your MH is.

There has been a discussions on loose power feed cables at the transfer switch. If you are comfortable with any electrical work I would recommend ensuring the wire connections are tight.

Make sure to be disconnected from shore power, Genny is turned off, and it would be wise to disconnect the coach batteries incase you have an inverter. Check the connections. I use the tighten, wiggle, tighten is the method.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
You do not mention what year your MH is.

There has been a discussions on loose power feed cables at the transfer switch. If you are comfortable with any electrical work I would recommend ensuring the wire connections are tight.
This!

Mine burned up. While you're in there, check those connections.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:37 PM   #7

I agree that checking the connections is a good thing to do. Also, relocating the wires can sometimes decrease the humming sound. The humming sound itself though isn't uncommon or an indicator that you have a loose connection (or a tight connection), but for safety reasons it is good to check the connections in and out of the transfer switch anyway, especially while you are there checking it out. As already mentioned, be sure to be safe\careful when doing so and make sure you have all of the power turned off. ~CA
Old 01-31-2023, 06:46 PM   #8

A xfer switch is basically a relay with an electromagnetic contactor that switches between shore and gen power and under normal conditions they hum. However if the humming gets progressively louder and the contactor gets hot it is a sign that the xfer switch is going to fail. If the xfer switch starts to chatter then that is definitely a sign it is failing.
If the humming is just plain annoying try and mount the xfer switch to a rubber insulating pad and if that doesn't work you can replace the xfer switch with a DC coil in the contactor, just be prepared to pay a bit more for a Dc coil contactor than a xfer switch with an AC coil.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:55 PM   #9

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/...sfer-switch-2/
https://wfcoelectronics.com/product-...ches/t-series/
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote