Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Humming sound in Seneca

We have a humming sound in the rear of our Seneca whenever we are on shore power. I'm not familiar with the components yet so wonder if the Seneca always converts 120VAC to 12VDC and that's where the noise is coming from?

Do others also have the constant humming? My concern is that the noise is a precursor to failure. It's also very annoying.

Thanks

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #2

Probably the transfer switch. Not a precursor to a failure, just the nature of the beast.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #3

I have a 2014 Seneca 37TS and my converter makes a similar noise. I narrowed it down by shutting off its individual breaker and ...... silence! My transfer switch seems quiet since I still had the rest of the coach powered when I did the test. We have very large converters and I suspect larger may make them noisier.

When I have low coach batteries and high 12-volt load, it is slightly louder yet and the fans also kick in and out, adding to the cacophony. I wish it was hidden since it is in the bedroom. But it hasn't kept me up!
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #4

Common noise for the battery charger/ 110 volt to 12 volt converter. There are also cooling fans and that does contribute to the noise.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #5

rgolding, but humming all the time? I am plugged in, 12V switch off, and it's humming. I would think it would stop running sometime. Chassis batteries may have some load but they are not connected to the house batteries via charger/converter.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
rgolding, but humming all the time? I am plugged in, 12V switch off, and it's humming. I would think it would stop running sometime. Chassis batteries may have some load but they are not connected to the house batteries via charger/converter.
Still putting my money on the transfer switch. Had that with our 08 SENECA after they replaced it do to the recall.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
Did you try shutting off the "converter" breaker while plugged in to shore power to see if that made noise stop? That will take the converter offline but the transfer switch will be unaffected.

Doing that is the only thing that stops my Seneca's humming, my transfer switch is quiet. It gets louder as I add 12-volt loads. After running for a while with high loads the cooling fans eventually kick in.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote