Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #1

Hydraulic Auto-Leveling system

We have a 2014 Grey Hawk & I’m thinking about getting an automatic leveling system installed. Any suggestions, recommendations & estimated cost would be greatly appreciated . Also Is this something that needs to be done by a certified installer?
PopARotZPris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:14 AM   #2

I do not know if you are tracking on the incredible amount of problems the OEM auto leveling system is experiencing with the tank/pump holding bracket but just make sure whoever installs knows exactly what they are doing. In the end I do like ours but rarely if ever does the system get 100% level. Even after "zeroing" it out. I always finish up with small manual adjustments to get it where I want it.
Jim_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #3

Hydraulic Leveling

I like ours when it works.......

Its like anything automatic, lots of things to fail. When its inoperative I wonder if its worth the cost and headache.

Mine intermittently comes on with a blank panel and by some majic still levels ok.

It also sometimes alarms and shows a retract error when I start the RV ????
So far, I can reset that error.

I also don't care for the ground clearance I have to be careful when entering a road where a deep gutter is present, the back lifts will drag.

I am not looking forward to the day when we are ready to leave camp and the lifts will not retract.

All that said I don't miss cranking on a screw to get to level.

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopARotZPris View Post
Also Is this something that needs to be done by a certified installer?

I don't know - but after dorking with ours, it's not something I'd tackle.

Doggone parts are going to weigh a ton. You're going to have to fashion a bracket to attach the pump to the frame somehow. Running and routing thick hoses to all four jacks.

If the frame's not drilled for jack mounting, you'll have to do that. Grade 8 bolts are a must I'm guessing. [ Or better? ]

Then there's the electrical. The Jayco factory installs are wired into the ignition system. I'm not sure if that's a requirement or an option. But something to consider.

Pump's wired directly - with 6 or 8AWG cables - to the battery.

Ugh - personally, I'd pay an installer.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopARotZPris View Post
We have a 2014 Grey Hawk & I’m thinking about getting an automatic leveling system installed. Any suggestions, recommendations & estimated cost would be greatly appreciated . Also Is this something that needs to be done by a certified installer?
I'd look at BIG FOOT they have bolt on kits and it all depends on your comfort level and if you have all the tools.

https://www.shop.thebigfootleveler.c...lass-C_c44.htm
Old 10-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #6

We have a 2014 Greyhawk 31FK which came with factory installed Bigfoot levelers. I’ve been reading the threads discussing problems with the Lippert levelers on newer models and am very glad we have the Bigfoot system.

Have never had a problem with ours not extending or retracting when needed. Sometimes when parked for a few weeks one might leak down slightly and trigger the alarm when the RV is started. But a short push of the “Emergency Retract” button snugs them all up tight.

And for the record, I’d not want to do without my levelers. They make setup and packup much easier.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote