Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2021, 11:29 PM   #1

Hydraulic leveling issue

I've spent a couple hours trying to find my answer here with no luck.
My 2016 Greyhawk MV equalizer levels only partly descended and then they wouldn't retract. I had a mobile guy come out to my campsite and he said the hydraulic pump needs replacing. There was no way to get the part in as I needed to continue on my way. So he disconnected the hydraulic line and manually lifted them so I could leave. Now I'm back home and I'm questioning if it was the pump and not another issue. I feel he didn't troubleshoot completely. Has anyone had this issue or can direct me to the answers I need.
Thank you for your assistance.
naturekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:40 AM   #2

Check the fluid level first.

Next, I would contact the manufacturer. I'm only familiar with LCI (Lippert). They have excellent tech support and have emailed troubleshooting and specific product information. I would guess (hope) the others manufacturers are equally responsible.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:22 AM   #3

Contact Equilizer, they have excellent support. I had trouble with my 2016 a couple months ago. The jacks would not go down. Following their techs troubleshooting tips, I found the Contactor was bad. Repaired myself for $90. Check them out. https://eqsystems.us/service-and-support/
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
Contact [...] support.
+a billion.

Before you pop for a new pump, get a second opinion. I emailed Lippert support and their tech responded quickly. He was very helpful and patient with me. We exchanged pictures back and forth:

Me: "This wire????"
Him: "Nope, the one next to it!"

Fixed it for $0.00 with his help!!!
Old 11-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #5

Thumbs up Hydraulic leveling system

see today's posts
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ket-91442.html
Even if you haven't had any work done on your unit, the whole leveling system is very dependent on good ground & 12V connections. If it's like our 2020 Greyhawk, there will be a battery cable sized connection from the coach battery to the solenoid located at the hydraulic pump. There is a 100 amp fuse located in this line. If any of these connections are loose and or corroded, the system will not operate.
I also give many thumbs up to Lippert Customer Service. Great bunch of people.
Hope this helps, Bob
Bob91750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #6

Same issue with jacks, but a possible solution

I have had issues with the Equalizer system three times. The first two times, it was a fuse. I contacted Equalizer and was given some good info. Under the MH about midway front to back and side to side there is a black box. There are four screws holding it to the underside of the MH. It is between the frame rails. Yours may be in a different location if it is a different GreyHawk than mine (2016 29 MV). Once the four screws are removed, the two plugs can be removed and the black box can be taken out. There are six smaller screws that hold the lid on this box. Remove the six screws. Inside you will see five 5 amp mini fuses. Equalizer advised me to replace them with 10 amp fuses. Buy some extra fuses to carry with you. Check the original fuses before you remove them to see if this was the issue. My pump would run but the jacks stopped moving due to a burned out fuse. This happened twice so far.

The third time , the jacks stopped part way down so I removed the black box once again. However, all the fuses tested good, but I replaced them anyway. Still the jacks didn’t work. My friend was looking under the MH and saw a YELLOW fuse holder that went to the pump. This held a 20 amp fuse (not a mini size, but an automotive fuse with two blades) that was burned out. Replacing this fuse did the trick.

I called Equalizer to ask why does this keep happening. It could be several reasons there are four valves and after six years, one or more could be corroded. OR an animal such as a mouse or squirrel could have chewed on some wires. I just winterized my GreyHawk so I haven’t checked the valves, but I plan on buying new valve assemblies from Equalizer in the spring. In the meantime, I will not use the jacks. I hope this helps the OP or someone else with the same issues.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic pump, levels