Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2022, 12:59 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Hi Brian,

Did you remove the fridge doors before removing your fridge?
You don’t have to but I did, it’s quick and easy tos do and makes the unit lighter and easier to hold on to.
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:05 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Well after 2 years of working with Jayco and Norcold and them saying everything was fine and trying to fix as much as possible the botched instillation by Jayco and trying every hack, tip, trick I gave up on the Norcold 1210. The main problem was Jayco installed the outside vents 6” to far to the left side putting the burner assembly tucked back in a corner making it totally inaccessible and drastically affecting the cooling. Everything I tried made the cooling better but even on a setting of 8 or 9 the fridge would only get to around 40 degrees and freezer to 18 degrees and the fridge temp would rise to 47-50 degrees while driving on gas. We boondock a lot and the 1210 is plenty big enough for the DW and I so we really didn’t feel the need to go residential. We decided to convert the Norcold to a residential compressor style fridge using the JC refrigeration HVAC, 120 volt unit. Because of the offset vent installation by Jayco, there was a concern the new HVAC unit would fit clearance wise. After many pictures and emails with JC Refrigeration they were by helpful and it was determined it should fit and they would take the extra step of tucking back the coolant lines for extra clearance. Installation was pretty simple and once the fridge was removed and the old cooling unit pulled out and cleaned, the new unit fit was great and the new unit was installed in about 20 minutes. I reworded the fridge 120 volt outlet to the factory 2000 watt inverter which will also be nice as the icemaker will work all the time now. Got th fridge back in place and wired everything up and started it up after letting it set for 12 hours and within 2 hours the fridge was at 38 and freezer was 16 degrees on setting 3! We stocked he fridge or a trip straight from the grocery store and it raised the temp to 42 but was down to 36 in less than an hour....the old unit would take 1/2 a day to recover from stocking. On our first trip we had hard ice cream for the first time and have been on setting 3 with a fridge temp of 35 and freezer at 2, temps we have never seen before. The 120 volt unit only draws .8 amps and in discussions with JC they said I should not see much difference in power usage with the battery bank and solar that we have. So far we are extremely happy with it in cooling, it’s quieter than the propane burner was and lots of ice! We have a boondocking trip coming up that we will be in 100 degree heat so that will be the true test and I will update after that trip.
Nice install, but I don't like ice in my beer but once and a while it's ok in my Bourbon, LOL