Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2020, 08:33 PM   #1

I have a decision to make.

Weighed my 22J today. The first weight was Fnt Axle = 3900#. Rear Axle = 7800#. Total = 11700#. All these numbers are well within the limits.

My 22J is GVWR = 14500#, Front Axle = 5000#, and Rear Axle = 9600#. and CCC = 3858#. The 3858# was before the Fantastic Fan and Slide topper were added.

I weighed it again, this time with a aluminum cargo box on it. I will use it to carry some extra stuff like a Coleman propane stove, and Coleman type grill along with 4 1# bottles of propane, my Gen-turi, an aluminum flag pole, my stinky slinky plus a 10" extension, and a 25# heavy 30 amp extension cord.

The net weight added was 180#. Which is pretty negligible. New total weight is 11800#.

Unfortunately, it took 160# off the front axle, now 3740#, and added 340# to the rear axle. This is well within the real rating of 9600#.

The problem, as I see it, is the weight taken off the front axle. I suspect it will add to an uncivil drive.

My question is, would something like Firestone airbags throw some weight back to the front axles? Is there anything else I could do to shift some weight back to the front axles?

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:35 AM   #2

we have a 2019 22j and love it. question did you add the weight of driver and passenger to front end weight? might counter the extra weight of storage box on rear. full tank of fresh water gave us a better ride.did many suspension upgrades as well
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #3

Yes, both the Mrs. and I were up front both times we weighed. I had a 2/3 full tank of fresh water.

Should have had a full tank, but when I filled it the first time, even after cutting off the faucet at the house, water continued to flow out the over flow tubes, as if it was being pumped out. Ended up with an empty fresh water tank. Filled it a second time, but shut it off as soon as 2/3 showed sready on the board.

She was loaded with all the permanent stuff. On a trip, we'd add some clothes and some fresh foods. That would be a max of 200#, if that, and mostly amidships.

The weight tickets show me I can let a little air pressure out of the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
we have a 2019 22j and love it. question did you add the weight of driver and passenger to front end weight? might counter the extra weight of storage box on rear. full tank of fresh water gave us a better ride.did many suspension upgrades as well

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:16 AM   #4

I would not think that little weight removal from the front would change the driving profile that much. Removing one person from the front seat would probably be close to that. The 160 lbs It is less then 5% reduction.

I would get individual tire weighs before reducing air pressures as side to side weights can vary pretty significantly in these units. Slides, cabinets, tanks and how people load there units can unbalance side to side weights and be off by 10% or more.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote