Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #1

I have to drill a hole in my roof

I have a 2017 seneca 37rb with the front entertainment center. I have to drill a hole in the roof to run a new data cable from my satellite to my IDU box behind my front TV. Thinking I'd go through the ceiling from inside the cabinet so the cable doesn't show. I need some advice or words of encouragement before I do this. How big of a hole because I have to make a bend in the cable and what can you use as a cover on the roof before you seal it. Anybody know the spacing on the truss in our ceiling. I'm unable to pull a new cable through because I found another rats nest in my ceiling, and it looks like removing the ceiling panels is not going to work.

Thanks for your comments
AL
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #2

The first thing you will need is a nice tranquilizer to settle your nerves. Punching a hole in your roof is a stressful ordeal.

I had to do it to my 2017 Greyhawk to get my Direct TV cables in. I had my son on the roof while I was inside. We punched the hole into a cabinet above the entry door. There were many cables already in the area behind the cabinet side wall so we just added a few more.

We used the cable cover that came with the install kit and used a lot of silicone sealant after cleaning everything with alcohol. Got the best sealant I could from Home Depot as I didn't want to cheap out here.

After over a year of use and a lot of rain storms, everything is still good. It should last many years before the silicone would need to be replaced.

Picture has arrows showing cable runs. The rear cables were for my solar panels which were run in through the fridge vent. No holes drilled there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2019-09-09 12-58-26.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #3

If you haven’t already done so the first thing to do is ask Jayco for the roof structure and wiring diagrams. Should help you chose the location to drill.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #4

Buy this to cover the hole.

https://www.amazon.com/KING-CE2000-P.../dp/B012ZYENQA

Your roof doesn't have many cross members since it is solid foam and not bat insulation. As was mentioned contact JAYCO for the framing schematic, but the last page of the 2016 brochure on line is pretty accurate.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #5

Like EA37TS said, contact Jayco for the roof layouts and wiring. Mine is a 2018.5 RB and I have attached my roof drawings they sent for mine to give you an idea what they look like. There are only 7 rafters in the whole roof. I used the winegard wire cover but like the one Grumpy posted better as it has a hump up for the cable. I would only use a big enough bit to get the cable in and use lots of Dicor. Drilling, you will go through the thin fiberglass roof, then 1/8" plywood then lots of foam, then thin plywood again and then the ceiling material. I just did it for a WeBoost install.
Attached Thumbnails
6B157B0A-54AC-4029-A989-E4BA46B4D0C1.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0042793_T_1-2_072617.pdf (246.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: pdf 0089752_D_1_021317.pdf (203.0 KB, 34 views)

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #6

Thanks everyone! Grumpy the cover has been ordered and Brian thanks for the drawings. Looking at the date of the drawings it looks like they have been the same since 2013
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote