Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

Ice Maker Heated Water Supply Line?

I was starting to winterize a bit as we are expecting cold temps here in south Louisiana. Have noticed the white wire wrapped around the ice maker water supply line.

Could it be heated? I leave the RV plugged in so if so, one less thing I need to insulate. Have never had a problem before but was wondering what you all in the bitter cold do.

Thanks
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbroussard View Post
I was starting to winterize a bit as we are expecting cold temps here in south Louisiana. Have noticed the white wire wrapped around the ice maker water supply line.

Could it be heated? I leave the RV plugged in so if so, one less thing I need to insulate. Have never had a problem before but was wondering what you all in the bitter cold do.

Thanks
Yes, according to my Norcold parts diagram it does have a heated tube feeding the icemaker. But looking at how Jayco plumbed my unit, there still is quite a bit of exposed PEX tubing and the shutoff valve feeding the icemaker unheated in that outside access area. Now if you can figure out how to protect that piping (heat tape?) it might work out.

My unit is not plugged in in storage, so I always blow the icemaker out then add the pink stuff. I have a cord I plug into 120-volts to open the water solenoid for purging and adding antifreeze, makes the process very easy.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #3

Thanks

That may explain why I've never had issues. We are only looking at 30 tonight, so I'll leave it but may look at covering the outside just a but to stop direct wind although it is parked with a protected side. May try to extend that coverage of the wire just a bit.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbroussard View Post
That may explain why I've never had issues. We are only looking at 30 tonight, so I'll leave it but may look at covering the outside just a but to stop direct wind although it is parked with a protected side. May try to extend that coverage of the wire just a bit.

Thanks!
We never had trouble at 17 with our SENECA, the fridge generates heat which helps, but the fridge has to be on.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
We never had trouble at 17 with our SENECA, the fridge generates heat which helps, but the fridge has to be on.
And I do leave my fridge plugged in. Fortunately in South Louisiana, we don't stay that cold for long and I can resume normal camping operations.

Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #6

I run anti freeze through the ice maker until pink slush appears in the cube catcher.
3 New England winters of doing this now.. No problems. Come spring time, I'll throw away the first 5 or 6 batches of ice, then good to go. No smell, no weird taste.
I suppose I could drain the line, but I really don't want to pull the fridge out and possibly damage the floor.