Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #21

Hi, I have an exact motorhome as yours. My fix was to tighten the grounding plate of the heater. this has solved all my tankless erratic issues. I hope this helps........Tom
THOMAS843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
We have a 2016 with the tankless Girard. Have you been shown/told about the Secret Reset button? Every now and then ours needs to be reset to start producing hot water.
Yes! Thanks for mentioning. We learned all about that secret button thanks to YouTube! The button didn’t solve the issue in the one frigid excursion I shared which is why we had to take it to service. on a a separate topic, did you do anything to help the cablle in your 2016? We swapped the physical cable out ourselves but still get bad reception. We can tell that other campers seem ok. It seems like something we should be able to fix ourselves via service but are starting to get used to the snowy static!
RVcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbahn View Post
I'm not about to change heater systems since our tankless Girard seems to work fine for us, but I'm curious about the utility of tank storage vs. tankless.

As I see it, you can use a water tank to lather up, then shut it off to scrub, and then rinse. With the tankless you can't do that because if you shut it off you then get a bolus of cold water while you wait for the heater to sense the flow, ignite the burner, then deliver water at the set temperature. So with tankless you need to keep the hot water flowing, which wastes an "unknown" amount of propane and an "unknown" amount of water while you are lathering. On the other hand, you are using energy of some sort to keep the heated tank at a constant level even when it's not in use.

So I'm sure that there are pros and cons for each choice, and I suspect that ultimately it may amount to tiny factors such as volume of water in the hot water line vs. volume of propane or electricity to maintain the tank temperature, etc., etc. . . .

Thoughts? Or does it all boil down to how much boondocking you do vs. hook-ups?
I hate our girard, in our old coachmen classic we had a 3 way regular water heater, propane, electric and battery. Never any problems it was only a 6 gallon. But never ran out of hot water. We could turn off water lather up and turn back on and not get hit with ice cold water. Never will I have a tankless again, we’re stuck with this until we upgrade to a diesel. But by far our 3 way regular was the best.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcoffee View Post
on a a separate topic, did you do anything to help the cablle in your 2016?

Reception as in Over the Air? Local TV stations? If so - we're fine. Both TVs pull in stations from the antenna just fine.

If you meant Cable TV - as in "plug into the campground pedestal for cable TV" - I've only used that once. And if I recall, it was OK.

We've switched over to Amazon Fire Sticks when we have Internet and use OTA or DVDs when we don't.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:26 PM   #25

Tankless for us. Yes a little learning curve. Cold weather camping (below freezing) a plus.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:52 PM   #26

Quote:
We have a 2016 with the tankless Girard. Have you been shown/told about the Secret Reset button? Every now and then ours needs to be reset to start producing hot water.
I have a 2017 Greyhawk with a Girard tankless and am having issues getting hot water. Is there really a Secret Reset Button?

GerryDe
GerryDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:08 AM   #27

Quote:
I know that there is a small reset button fairly deep in the compartment, but that doesn't apply unless you're getting no heat at all. My current problem with the tankless is that when I'm hooked up to city fixtures with a pressure regulator the flow is often insufficient to trigger the switch that turns it on, especially when using the bathroom sink. It works with the "Normal" setting using the fresh water tank, but it's very intermittent using "City Fixtures".

I haven't found a way to change the flow setting but I have been looking for a pressure regulator that goes a little above 50 psi.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:01 AM   #28

The reset button is only on a few models. Girard told me ours didn’t have one
Old 05-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryDe View Post
I have a 2017 Greyhawk with a Girard tankless and am having issues getting hot water. Is there really a Secret Reset Button?

GerryDe

What the other's have posted is correct. I have their "Second Generation" model - the GSWH-1M. https://www.girardgroupcompanies.com...ater-heater-68

Here's the video on the reset button for our models:

Old 05-13-2021, 10:17 AM   #30

We have the standard 6 gallon and have had it for 4 years with no problems.
I turn it off at night and since it has both gas and electric run both for quick recovery.
Since I was in the Navy I am use to water rationing when necessary so I use the shut off feature.
My wife does not and has never had a problem.
Both grandchildren can get showers off of one tank.
As mentioned, the instantaneous can use a little more water than the one with the tank.
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #31

Thanks everyone. I have the Girard GSWH-2 tankless water heater. I don't think it has the secret switch. I looked and couldn't find one.
I will have to call Girard for help.
GerryDe.
GerryDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #32

Yeah the later generation 2 and generation 3 DONOT have the switch. I have been in contact with the VP of Gerrard with our issues and he verified what the tech support said, basically we’re out of luck. NOT on our unit.