Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #1

improving heat distribution, 31fs GH

Hey all, have only been out once so far in our 'new to us" '16 31fs greyhawk, it was relatively cool for northern phoenix so ended up using the electric heat pump alot, sail switch was bad so no gas furnace.
Replaced the switch and furnace works just fine now, except that for whatever reason they installed a vent 4 feet below the thermostat, and that vent blows out like mad, the 'hallway' in the bunkhouse slide blows out a little bit (as does the bathroom vent) but the back bedroom rectangular vent has no flow at all. Bought a damping vent to put in the living area to see if that helps improve the other vents flow (and keeps from having tons of hot air rising up around the thermostat).
Are there any other suggestions to help the flow/heat to the back bedroom vent? I was thinking maybe could put in one of those 4" computer case type muffin fans inline somewhere to give it a little boost.
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #2

I had the same issue with flow to the bunkhouse in my Northpoint. I found the end of the duct plenum wasnt put together very well. I got in there and fixed it and put better heat tape around the seams to seal the leaks. I then used the heat tape to basically block off ANY heat coming out of the first vent in the run, like yours, is right by the t-stat. HUGE difference in air flow and warmth in the back bunk now.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:17 PM   #3

yeah i installed the damping vent this morning, even with it closed off completely the airflow to the 2 other round vents (bunk area, and bathroom) and the rectangular vent next to back bed didn't seem any different I would think there should be a noticeable change considering the force/volume of air coming out of that vent when it's wide open
Old 12-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #4

Then I'd say you got a good air leak in the duct run like I did.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #5

Heres the link to the thread I started on my heat related issue.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ght-63735.html
Old 12-26-2019, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Heres the link to the thread I started on my heat related issue.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ght-63735.html

well that was a mess, sorry you had to do all that

my furnace and main plenum is under the fridge, and the various ducts run from there, i know there's a duct or two under the sink from replacing the lpco detector this morning, but it's a small hole and hard to see exactly what's going on in there, so not sure where the duct that feeds the bedroom vent runs, maybe if i get bored at the rv park this weekend i'll pull the inside panel off and see how the ducts come out of the plenum.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:30 AM   #7

Well with what I have found in our Seneca doing mods, it is most likely crushed, smashed, excessively long ducting and untapped joints. I have now accessed every area a duct runs and every one I removed at least 1-3’ of excess duct shoved in and area, cut out a section of duct that was at least 1/2 smashed, taped open holes in the flex duct and taped all the joints. Air flow and heating is so much better now, the excess ducting is just a heat loss and air flow is restored to what it should be. The furnace box itself now runs cooler as the fan is moving the air like it should be and not being restricted. Most of it was fairly easy to get to like under the bed and under cabinets but under the shower was a pain. Here are some pics of what I have found. The first two are a before and after under the bed, then a little of what I found under there......
Attached Thumbnails
C25C3E41-89F5-43D4-9746-40E539FC1D74.jpg   A80CA574-FC07-43D7-B708-A5B875AE8F82.jpg   392F9EB8-FBD6-4C03-AF45-2BF9A35627C0.jpg   2C615290-CD93-441C-8030-D3EDD11CB1F7.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #8

This must be a common problem. My bathroom and master bedroom are extremely hot and the main living area is cool, even after adjusting the vents.

I need to pull mine apart to check for a mouse nest since it really stinks since I fired it up. I'm expecting to find a hole chewed in a duct and a nest blocking a duct.
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Well with what I have found in our Seneca doing mods, it is most likely crushed, smashed, excessively long ducting and untapped joints. I have now accessed every area a duct runs and every one I removed at least 1-3’ of excess duct shoved in and area, cut out a section of duct that was at least 1/2 smashed, taped open holes in the flex duct and taped all the joints. Air flow and heating is so much better now, the excess ducting is just a heat loss and air flow is restored to what it should be. The furnace box itself now runs cooler as the fan is moving the air like it should be and not being restricted. Most of it was fairly easy to get to like under the bed and under cabinets but under the shower was a pain. Here are some pics of what I have found. The first two are a before and after under the bed, then a little of what I found under there......
incredible.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob393 View Post
This must be a common problem. My bathroom and master bedroom are extremely hot and the main living area is cool, even after adjusting the vents.

I need to pull mine apart to check for a mouse nest since it really stinks since I fired it up. I'm expecting to find a hole chewed in a duct and a nest blocking a duct.
guessing your furnace is near your bath/bedroom
Old 12-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
incredible....

I wish I could have gotten a pic of under the shower but I was working through a 4" vent hole in the base. They installed the shower drain pipe right over the flexible duct, smashing it to about 1" tall.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:23 PM   #11

Yes, as far as I can tell it is literally in the space between the master bedroom night stand and the vanity in the bathroom. I just know it can't be accessed from the outside where the exhaust exits through the cover plate..
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air flow, furnace, heat, vent