Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

In Line Water Filter

Good Day All,

I finally have my rig home from the dealer for a few days... They are still waiting on a new kitchen counter for me

I am trying to find my way around and cannot for the life of me find the in line water filter. Does anyone know where it is on the 29ME, The manuals are horrible for this.

My plan is to bypass the filter as we bring bottle water for drinking and I don't want to end up filling a 1/2 gallion container full of pink stuff when I winterize.

Thanks in advance!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

Have you looked under the kitchen sink and in the utility compartment. On the Seneca it is located same compartment as the water/ sewer connections.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #3

Carpeted over???

I have kind of found it... I took a panel off in my back storage compartment and I can see it. But it is too far in for me to reach. It looks like from inside the storage compartment that there is an access panel under my bed.. But in the bedroom that area is covered with carpet.... Is it possible they carpeted over the access panel???

Old 08-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #4

My 2015 29 MV has the whole house filter under the lav sink. Sounds like yours is in a different place.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #5

What a nightmare

There was noo access panel... I had to pull out all of the walls inside the storage compartment to reach it... And you need a freaking engineering degree to understand all this piping.

There are shutoffs on either side of the filter... I assume they are just for the purpose of changing the filter without allowing large air bubbles into the pipe... The maunal claims the rig comes with a pipe for bypassing the filter... I did not get that

Considering this item needs regular maintenance... What a nightmare!!!

Old 08-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #6

my dealer pulled the back panel off and showed me where the filter was then advised against installing the filter for two reasons 1 being it is a pia to change and 2 nobody drinks campground water anyway. So we left ours out and havent had any problems. I dont think the dealer installed a bypass kit im pretty sure they just left it out.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #7

Your dealer was right

GH01... Your dealer was bang on. I will not be using filter.... My only concern now is winterizing and having to flush that container full of pink stuff every spring. That and the way it is set up I will never be able to flush all the water so it will not be 100% antifreeze.

I have attached a couple of photos... One is the compartment opened up from the passenger side. The second is the reason I am happy I did it... Check out the 12" by 6" hole that Jayco never bothered to fill...That is some of the shoddiest trailer construction I have ever seen... I would have had an entire colony of mice in there next spring. There is no possible excuse for such crumby workmanship!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 08-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #8

The Hole

The Hole!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 08-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #9

Yowza, is that inconvenient or what! Glad my MV has it in a convenient location because I use it. I put a filter in that takes care of bad tasting campground water. If I wasn't able to replace the filter with a good one I would have put an undersink filter in just like my last rig. I've been to quite a few different campgrounds across the US this year and the filter took care of any bad flavors.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #10

I haven't used mine yet. I still hang a blue Camco filter off the side of the coach.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #11

My filter in the 31FK is in a similar compartment but at least it is near the access panel and not way back inside the compartment. To make it easier to get to, I replaced the screws with Velcro and added grab handles.

The filter housing was also wrapped with flexible electrical conduit making it nigh on impossible to unscrew. Our dealer relocated that wiring as a warranty fix which I much appreciated.

And Jayco also left several large holes for piping, wiring and hoses throughout my Greyhawk. Open the wooden panel beneath your bed and look into the electrical component compartment. I expect you'll see the ground through the holes. I filled all I could find with spray foam insulation to stop drafts and keep out mice.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
My 2015 29 MV has the whole house filter under the lav sink. Sounds like yours is in a different place.
X2

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post

And Jayco also left several large holes for piping, wiring and hoses throughout my Greyhawk. Open the wooden panel beneath your bed and look into the electrical component compartment. I expect you'll see the ground through the holes. I filled all I could find with spray foam insulation to stop drafts and keep out mice.
Thanks NCR... That area is actually the under bed compartment on the ME so it seems Jayco is fairly consistent in thier lack of effort in that area. That was one of three holes in that space, none of them were properly filled but that was the biggest of them. I dumped almost an entire can of rodent resistant expanding foam into the holes to fill them up. I had to build the big hole up one layer at a time to fill it.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #14

Here is what was under my bed in the corner you can see the white wire with exposed wiring. I was pissed when i took the cover off and saw that. Luckily it was only a extra ground wire. But it is a complete mess under their. Anyway back to the filter i winterized mine by blowing the lines out with compressed air then adding antifreeze. It was seasy to do and that way you dont have to worry about water in the filter housing.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #15

Additional smoke detector

Given all the electrical devices and wiring in the compartment beneath our bed, I installed a battery powered smoke detector in there. If something did smolder while sleeping, you could be in serious trouble long before the smoke alarm in the forward kitchen in our FK sounded off.

When I un-winterize the Greyhawk, I also change the smoke detector battery to prevent those 3 AM low-battery chirps.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #16

Replaced the under galley sink impossible to reach without 4' arms water filter with the bypass hose. We only use the blue camco filter attached to campground faucet. So easy to replace!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #17

I'd love to know where this mystical bypass hose is. I don't have one (unless its hidden away somewhere I've yet to look). I wonder if its IN the canister that houses the filter .....

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #18

My bypass hose came in a bucket with other stuff. I wondered what it was for until I went to winterize just last December. Couldn't reach it so filled it with pink antifreeze. Then in Spring removed the bank of drawers and spent an hour on my back, cussing Jayco, but got it done, for good.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #19

Boy, I'm sure glad I live in the Southwest ! .......

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #20

Fortunately the filter in the MV is under the lav sink. I winterize with air so it's just a matter of removing the canister and emptying the water out. It's a bit more of a bother getting to the water pump filter to empty it.