Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2015, 06:49 AM   #1

In pursuit of a Seneca

We've been following the threads about the Senecas for quite awhile. And we are coming very close to purchasing one as our retirement camper/motor home/semi-permanent residence.

Just a little more financial matters to resolve and we will pull the plug and take possession of our future.

We have been camping since 2010. Having moved from a life time of over 40 years of marriage / sailing / cruising / living a life along or on the water.

Retired last December 1, 2014, but if you talk to the guys I worked with, I really retired about 2010. We made the decision to live in our travel trailer, an Arctic Fox 30U, over the Winter of 2013/2104 and set the goal of living in it full time as of March 2014. So far, we have succeeded and spent just a few nights in our house, since then. We are moving from our house to a condo in a retirement community to relieve ourselves of the home responsibilities, but have a home anchorage if one of us get sick or we decide we don't want this life style. At 66 and 62, we are healthy, but want to be ready for what comes in the future.

We live near a Corps of Engineers Reservoir with a great campground just 2 miles from our house. We raised our family on this lake and still find it a great place to home base in the Spring and Fall, with traveling south in the Winter and north in the Summer. I don't care for the heat and the bride doesn't like the cold.

Our neighbor's kids, from Colorado, have a Kodiak Seneca. So its got to be at least a 2011 or older. We know they like it and it seems to hold up well.

Last month on our way back to upstate New York, we went through Grand Rapids, Michigan and stopped at Motor Home 2 Go. They had a large selection of Senecas and Dynamaxs. Spent two days checking out all the models, drove a Senenca and just can't find a vehicle that fits our needs better.

Jan like the single unit. Personally, I like the flexibility of the truck and trailer. The Arctic Fox fits our needs and we pull it with a Chevy 2500HD with the diesel engine. We have pulled with a gas powered conversion van on a smaller trailer and really like the power, fuel economy and reliability of the diesel. The wife feels, as we get older, a single unit will resolve many of our setup and tear down issues of getting established in a camp or getting ready to move camp. The leveling, loading, hooking up and all the little issues of moving our rolling home down the road seems to be her major concern. She thinks a single unit resolves this. After 43 years she still doesn't catch on that I like to putts with stuff. Its just my nature.

How we got to the Seneca, is that nothing else fits the bill. I like a truck over a diesel pusher. I want the reliability of a vehicle that can be repaired by regular mechanics and not gymnasts. I want the established reliability of what companies use to deliver goods or haul stuff every day. I have experience with Freightliner and feel it can always be easily repaired by qualified mechanics.

What model of Seneca? Not sure. Most likely we will choose as to what is available, but are leaning toward the "bunk house" model or FS because of the bunks allowing extra storage. We have 4 grand kids and may make one or two pilgrimages with all of them, but the bunks seem to give the most flexibility for different needs and storage.

We will choose the model, color and style by what's on the lot at the time of purchase. Right now favoring MH2GO, but certainly not locked to them. We have no plans of ordering a unnit. Have only ordered a car once and wanted to change our mind before it was delivered. Like the idea of driving and walking through what we purchase, not something like it.

So after 6 months of lurking, looking, kicking tires and researching - this is where we are.

I thank you all for your postings and answers to posts for other people's needs. The opinions and different subjects have all helped us make these decisions.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #2

Ric, good luck with your purchase! We are also at the same place in our lives. Been lurking and gathering all we can on Seneca's. Don't like the 16MY interiors so focusing on 15MY.
Have you inquired w/ MH2Go on the % discounts on 2015 models? MHSRV advertises up to 40% off on 2015 models & 28% off new models. 40% is pretty high from what I've been reading more closer to 30% if you can get it, but if they'll go 40%, game on!

Keep us updated on your Endeavors.
Best regards, Tom
Tpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #3

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting about the different thoughts on the interiors. We actually like the 2016's better than the 2015's. Our basic thoughts on all RV interior colors is that they are designed by blind upset liberal artists with no sense of balance and after a bad night of too many drugs and booze. Our normal statement when walking in to any new RV is "What were they thinking?"i However, with that we live.
We do like the use of one color of leather and a sedate material that does not look like a funeral home motif, LSD dream, your great grandmother's parlor or a Taco Bell restaurant. With luck, it all eventually wears out and you can replace it with descent, matching colors or buy a different unit.
However, interiors colors are hopefully not high on the list of reasons to purchase. But that is why we want to see what we purchase, instead of ordering. If we purchase the Taco Bell Restaurant, it our decision that we think we can live with it. If we choose from swatches, we live with statements like " I thought it would look better".

Wonder if Jayco or any other RV company ever consulted with real people about colors, as opposed to the people you imagine as the stereotyped interior designers and art critiques?

To each his or her own. The statements and questions of "can you tolerate this?" are usually left to the bride and I try to be tolerant. She says I get to work on the big problems. If I resolve one, she will give me another. Right now my assigned problem is World Hunger. Had supper last night and breakfast this morning, personally I'm doing the best I can.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 09-26-2015, 07:29 PM   #4

We just bought our 2014 Jayco Seneca 37FS. Bought the one on RVTrader in NV, and absolutely love the bunk house floor plan and full queen berth overhead. Gives us many options as we too prepare for FT living in a few years. Likewise, it is very easy to service the Cummins in the M2 chassis and it drove like a dream for the 1,660 mile trip home. I did have an issue with the tranny cable as it jumped out of the bushing and I could not shift out of first on the on ramp. Towed to a Freightliner shop, and it was fixed in two hours...all warranty, plus they took care of a recall issue on a solenoid that had not been addressed. During the episode, I had both a Jayco rep and a Freightliner rep calling me for support. My insurance (Progressive) cover the tow. Again, as a newbie, I was really impressed with Jayco and Freightliner support....on a Saturday.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #5

Bit the bullet on a 2016 37FS at MH2GO. Put a deposit on it this morning. The grey interior sold us. Will close within the next couple of weeks.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 09-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave_Jan
I think you are going to love the FS. My Bride and I pulled the trigger on ours last year August and have not looked back. As with all RV's, there is some breaking in to do and bugs to work out but oh how we and our kids love it. Six grands and they love going with MiMi and PaPa.
97 Jeep Wrangler
Dave_Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:14 AM   #7

Took possession yesterday, my LORD, we had a lot of stuff to transfer. Right now more questions to figure out the right questions, than come up with answers. Staying in the Grand Rapids area until Monday or Tuesday and then headed back to Southern Illinois.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-10-2015, 06:48 AM   #8

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the Seneca as much as my wife and I enjoy our TS. As you come up with questions and concerns don't hesitate to post them here, other owners are happy to help and it is likely the issues that may surface have been faced (and solved) by others. Any many of us have performed various "modifications" that you may be interested in.

By the way if you are ever camping in north central IL, Rock Cut State Park is very nice with lots to do and see in the area. While Rock Cut is not full hookups, a Seneca is certainly capable of several days of electric-only camping. I have family in that general area and have stayed there numerous times, the last two occasions in my Seneca.

Enjoy!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote