Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #1

Included GPS

I have a 2016 GreyHawk 31FS on order and the features listed include GPS. I asked the dealer if the GPS was for RV's and large vehicles. He said he didn't know but it would seem odd if Jayco lists GPS as a selling point if it gives routes an RV can't take. Does anyone that has purchased a 2016 know if the GPS has settings specific to an RV?
melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

I haven't used the built-in GPS much, but I don't think it has those settings. I prefer to use my Garmin with settings for RV's, cars and trucks.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:24 AM   #3

We've found ANY of the in dash OEM GPS's to be of poor quality compared to the portable dash models. First thing is they are limited in what you can do while vehicle is moving. If one of us is navigating while the other is driving, this really limits what can be done. My wife, partner and navigator also uses the apps on her phone for more travel and navigation options.

Another item to work around because the "life police" want to control us. May they be tossed in to a bed of fire ants with their hands and feet tied.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #4

Much prefer my Garmin RV 760 LMT to dash unit. Lifetime updates, bigger screen, better function/interface, etc. Also, being removable I can set up a trip at home.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #5

My 2015 built-in GPS has an RV mode. That being said, I much prefer the external Garmin for the reasons mentioned by WaltW.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #6

The Garmin RV is a much better unit, and a lot easier to use and up-date. That's another reason why we chose the Redhawk over the Grayhawk, we didn't want the in-dash unit.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

The smart phone GPS apps are really good now a days, and there a quite a few to choose from. There are many specific to RV navigation. They're always updated automatically and are cheap compared to stand alone units.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #8

jloco, You said - "They're always updated automatically"

In the history of GPS's, this is the most important thing we have found about the APP GPS's in our smart phones. They update automatically, when needed and it works.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #9

I agree. My wife had a garmin. Now she has the Volvo sensus in her new Volvo. Both junk compared to the iPhone navigation.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #10

In my Greyhawk, Jensen radio/gps, the manual has a disclaimer saying that the unit's guidance may not always take your vehicle size, length and weight into consideration in route planning.
I, too, have a Garmin RV760 and love it.
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Dreamgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #11

The thing I like about my Garmin is it moved all my stored campground destinations to my new one when I upgraded to a newer unit for the RV. That's priceless.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #12

Do the cell phones apps work when out of cell range?
Old 03-25-2016, 05:17 AM   #13

Google Maps allows you to download zones. I don't know if you can tailor the zones you need.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:54 AM   #14

When in dash units get a little age [as little as a year] they fall behind in both features and functions and when they die or start to malfunction, you end up with a useless little screen on your dash. The portable garmin units generally come with map updates and are pretty cheap to replace if they stop working. I have never paid more than $150 for one and the latest one I have was $140 and has many of the features that come with the much more expensive models. It has map updates, monitors speed limits, gives a street view of upcoming exits on a route, has a smart search feature that learns your habits from previous searches. I would never pay extra for an in dash unit or select an RV because it offers it as a feature.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #15

We find the Garmin and others designed with the RV features embedded are much better. Most standard in dash units are for car travel. We us a Garmin mounted in the cup holder with a cup holder mount and arm by Ram Mount Inc.
These people make the best mounts out there. Even one for your Ipad to assist with nav use
Old 03-28-2016, 05:52 AM   #16

We have 2016 greyhawk with Jensen radio/DVD/cd/GPS. Does not have RV or Truck maps system. Tried to upgrade the maps and you cannot get them. It makes common sense that it should have it from Jayco but .....
Bought Garmin RV GPS. Also Good Sam Trip Planner gives you all the warnings for tunnels, bridges etch when you plan your trip.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:29 AM   #17

If its in your dash, think forever!! Wife of my boss had a 3 yr old Mercedes convertible that she loved and refused to replace with a new one. As property manager [and in charge of what ever the wife wanted] of this family business, I was charged to get her a new phone for the installed on board one that came with the phone. Guess what Mercedes sells a $85k car and 3 years later doesn't have an upgrade for a phone that comes with the car. You'll find the same thing happen over and over again with cars, rvs, and high end boats. In dash stuff dies and you're stuck. Don't pay for it up front and spend a whole lot less and get something easy to replace or upgrade when needed.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:54 AM   #18

One of the reasons we got the Redhawk, instead of the Grayhawk.

Some of the savings went into adding just the stuff that we really wanted. Couldn't see paying for a bunch of extras that we didn't need or want... The in-dash GPS was one of them.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #19

I personally really like the GPS in our 2016 Greyhawk 31FS. It's faster than my garmin portable and has a bigger screen. I don't rely on it to tell me which roads are safe for my motorhome (I go online and research rather than relying on any GPS...). It comes with a micro SD card that can be updated through a webpage and your computer.

Best,

James

JENSEN JRV215N AM/FM/DVD/USB/SXM Bluetooth® stereo with navigation
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #20
Wyn

I have the Clarion system in my 2015 Greyhawk, the GPS is almost useless. I use the Garmin RV660 which works great. We have it mounted on a Garmin 'beanbag' mount which sits on the dashboard but can be operated by my co-pilot for POI's and such.
Wyn is offline   Reply With Quote