Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Talking Initial Thoughts - 2015 Greyhawk 31FS - Maiden Voyage

The DW and I (sans kids) were able to get away with the new RV for a weekend at Elk Neck State Park in Maryland.
Link to Pictures

This was the “try everything out and make sure it all works before we head to Myrtle Beach for a week with the kids” weekend. The following are some of my thoughts about our new RV, but overall, I have to say I love it.

This trip also helped confirm that moving to a Class C was the right decision for us. We wanted a bigger camper, wanted a bed for all the kids (not the couch or dinette), but we also didn’t want to pull/tow a bigger rig and buy a giant pickup to do it. So a Class C turned out to be the right answer for us.

Now, I have opinions on every nook and cranny of the RV, but I’ll spare you some of it (unless you ask) and just share a few with you here.

Driving:
Handling
I thought the steering was a bit spongy. Lots of play and constant correction needed. I got used to it and I’m sure it’s just a change from driving a car/suv, but wish it were a little tighter. I may have this looked at by the dealer in the near future, just to be sure all is ok.
Ride
I thought the ride was smooth, very good.
Comfort
Seat is comfortable, and lots of cupholders and center console areas to keep things (maybe too much )
Acceleration
The Ford E450 had a ton of giddy-up and go. Very happy with engine performance, and I feel confident behind the wheel.
Breaking
I thought the breaking was great!

Radio/DVD/Bluetooth
More research needed here, but the Bluetooth connection between my phone and iPad was very easy. I haven't tried out the Bluetooth microphone yet, but I think I found it in a box in a drawer, so I don't think one is installed. The Navigation works fine, and is very usable. I might stick with my iPhone, though, as Google maps is so easy and it plays through the speakers via Bluetooth. There are some cool features on the Nav that will track your trip, etc.
Using all the speakers is still a question that I need to work out. Not sure if volumes can be adjusted individually...cockpit, vs. Interior vs. Exterior. More research needed.

Water
I was initially overwhelmed when looking at all the settings available for the for the inbound water supply (2 dials with 3 settings on each). These switches are located on the wall in the garage. I'm sure someone has posted on these, but it took me a minute to figure them out. Here's what I think (please let me know if I'm close)
  1. City Fixtures - Use this when hooking up pressurized water (CG, hose, etc). I used this one at the campsite where I had pressurized water and it worked great.
  2. City Fill Tank - ??? My guess is that you use this to fill your fresh water tank from pressurized water
  3. Country Fill - ??? No idea what this meains, but maybe it's to fill the fresh tank from a well (non-pressurized?)
  4. Normal - I think this is for boondocking, when your fresh tank is full, and you are using the water pump
  5. Sanitize/Winterize Lines - HW bypass for running anti-freeze through your lines
  6. Sanitize Tank - Used for sanitizing fresh water tank, and doesn't flow to faucets
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4937.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	17315

Outside Shower
The only reason I'm mentioning this feature is because there is a lighted switch in the outside shower compartment. No idea what this switch is for. Any ideas?

Tankless Hot Water Heater
I know this is a controversial subject on this forum, however, it worked like a charm, I’m very happy. The greatest invention since sliced bread? Maybe. If you follow the directions and know how it works (not like a regular HW heater), it should work for you. It was a very cold weekend (30 degrees) so we had the control knob up to about ¾ of the way. Very hot/nice showers. Latency was very short, to all the faucets, so not a lot of water wasted, either (certainly no more/less than a tank). Both my wife and I took back-to-back showers with no issues at all (we also washed dishes, no problem). I made sure that no other water was being used, while taking a shower, so that the pressure remained constant/steady, which is key to the system. I know that some folks on this forum have ripped these tankless units out and put the 6 gal units back in, but I would say that if your unit is not working, it’s broken and get it fixed/replaced by the dealer, don’t swap it out for the old kind. Also, the amount of propane used by this unit is tiny…so don’t let that deter you. It only kicks on when hot water is demanded and it’s very efficient.

Heating System
I learned a lot about the heating system. First, there are two unique components in this rig.
1) The AC unit, which is also a heat pump (electric) and is ducted through the ceiling, and
2) the furnace (propane), which is ducted through the floor.
Since I was hooked up to shore power, I wanted free heat, so I had my thermostat switched to electric heat. However, I started to notice over the night and morning, that I would hear the furnace kicking on (it was a very cold weekend). What I found out, talking to another camper that actually does HVAC work, is that my thermostat is actually a “smart” thermostat. Since I had it switched to electric heat, the heat pump would crank out as much hot air as possible, but since it wasn’t reaching my desired temperature, the thermostat knows to kick on the furnace (assuming the propane is turned on, which is was). I loved this feature and we stayed toasty warm as the thermostat and heaters kicked on/off appropriately to get the RV to the right temp.

Quick Mods
TV While Traveling
If you are not familiar, Jayco puts a relay switch on the outlet in the bunk over the cab (where the main TV is plugged in) that kills the power to that outlet when the engine is on. I fixed this by cutting the red wire, and putting a wire cap on the red wire. Very easy, and now kids can watch TV on the way to wherever we are going.

Shower Head
Replaced the factory showerhead with an Oxygenics unit, for 2 reasons.
1. The Oxygenics showerhead will save water when the water is actually flowing, and 2. The factory showerhead had no on/off switch to save water when you aren’t using it, like suddsing your head, etc. The new showerhead does.

Queen Bed
I saw a mod on youtube about how to extend our queen bed for sleeping. I'm 6'3" so I had to do this. Works awesome. I went to upholstery shop in town and for 20 bucks, I got a piece of cushion (cut to right dimensions) and he even sewed some nice fabric around it (he had it left over from something else). Here is the video.

Much more to share too at another time.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #2

Welcome

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum!

The "Country Fill" is for drawing water from a jug, bucket, bottle, etc. when boon-docking, and you need water from an alternative source. Ive seen units in a dry camping area with a hose stuck down into a 5 gallon jug, pumping water up from it.

Now, if we van just figure out a way to carry the spare tire... The bumper is too weak, the rear storage compartment door is too small, and using a receiver hitch carrier blocks the rear hatch. Good grief!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Congratulations, and welcome to the forum!
The "Country Fill" is for drawing water from a jug, bucket, bottle, etc. when boon-docking, and you need water from an alternative source. Ive seen units in a dry camping area with a hose stuck down into a 5 gallon jug, pumping water up from it.
And the lighted switch in that compartment is for the water pump to make use of the "Country Fill" feature (or the outside shower if boondocking) . . .

And yeh, "Normal" is for use while travelling when you have some water in the tank. We usually try to keep 1/4 to 1/2 tank or so while travelling which easily looks after toilet flush/hand washes/lunch dishes during the day before we get to the next campground . . .

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #4

Ahh boondocking!!! Makes sense. Thank you guys!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 AM   #5

Good to hear you had a problem free maiden voyage. We took ours down to Disney for a week in the beginning of March. Everything went great, no big issues. I am bringing it back for a leaking hydraulic unit for the jacks. We had to stop several times because the alarm was going off. The jacks would drop and lose contact with the pin.

My tv only works if I unplug all the rca's and cable from it. Removing the red wire from the outlet worked. There's another safety mechanism on mine. I just use a bluray player plugged into the same outlet with the factory wiring to the tv unplugged.

You can control the volume between the front cab and living area by adjusting the fade on the radio. The outside speakers are controlled by the master volume. I have to say the Jensen setup is my least favorite thing with this motorhome. I already bought a better gps for it. I've been researching some double din head units as well. Also, a separate volume control for outside shouldn't be too difficult to install. For now an easy fix is to take the remote outside and point it through the passenger side window to adjust the volume. When you get a chance take the left hand drawer out under the bottom bunk. Make sure theres a cover over the speaker there. There wasn't on mine so I made one myself. A lot of cold air comes through it without some sort of cover. I can post pics if you need better explanation.

I like the extend-a-bed mod. Just don't forget to remove it before bringing the slide in . They didn't leave any clearance there.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:56 AM   #6

It's great to hear others are having mainly problem free shakedown trips!

We picked up our FS this time last year on a Friday. After a very long and rather disappointing delivery (dealer ordered the wrong exterior color), we took it home and loaded it up. We were gone early the next morning not knowing what to expect. Luckily, everything went really well!

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurv View Post
Good to hear you had a problem free maiden voyage. We took ours down to Disney for a week in the beginning of March. Everything went great, no big issues. I am bringing it back for a leaking hydraulic unit for the jacks. We had to stop several times because the alarm was going off. The jacks would drop and lose contact with the pin.

My tv only works if I unplug all the rca's and cable from it. Removing the red wire from the outlet worked. There's another safety mechanism on mine. I just use a bluray player plugged into the same outlet with the factory wiring to the tv unplugged.

You can control the volume between the front cab and living area by adjusting the fade on the radio. The outside speakers are controlled by the master volume. I have to say the Jensen setup is my least favorite thing with this motorhome. I already bought a better gps for it. I've been researching some double din head units as well. Also, a separate volume control for outside shouldn't be too difficult to install. For now an easy fix is to take the remote outside and point it through the passenger side window to adjust the volume. When you get a chance take the left hand drawer out under the bottom bunk. Make sure theres a cover over the speaker there. There wasn't on mine so I made one myself. A lot of cold air comes through it without some sort of cover. I can post pics if you need better explanation.

I like the extend-a-bed mod. Just don't forget to remove it before bringing the slide in . They didn't leave any clearance there.

In terms of your jack problem, take a close look at all of the jack feet. I was experiencing the same problem with the alarm, and thought the jacks were not retracting all the way up. Upon closer inspection, one of the sensor pins on the feet was bent. The jacks would retract all the way up, but when the bent pin would rotate it would lose contact with the jack foot and signal a retraction problem. Maybe not your case, but definitely worth a look!
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 AM   #8

The floating front end may be result of too much weight behind the rear axle.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The floating front end may be result of too much weight behind the rear axle.

As designed by Jayco? I'm wasn't carrying hardly any weight in addition to the curb weight, on this trip. (Clothes and a few lawn chairs)
Old 03-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikester View Post
As designed by Jayco? I'm wasn't carrying hardly any weight in addition to the curb weight, on this trip. (Clothes and a few lawn chairs)
Then I would take it to a truck suspension shop and have the alignment checked.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #11

An excellent review. I'm in the looking/deciding phase and a post like yours really helps.
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #12

We are beginning our second season with our2014 31fk Greyhawk. Very happy. Will need to replace washer at blackwster flush meets tank. Carefully open and close windows. Will do first roof inspection very soon lancastrr PA is first stop this April. Haven't tested tank heat pads. But everything else seems good. Dont overfil propane. Everyone on this forum has enriched our experience. We rented for 6 years before purchasing. I'm in jersey as well!
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #13

There is a thread on this site about the Helliwigs needing adjustment. I adjusted mine and found a big improvement in the ride. Seemed to help with the sway when big rigs were passing me.

Doesn't eliminate it but it helps.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #14

reitrof, I looked up and read (twice) the Hellwig thread you just mentioned. Good read. Mine are 4" so I've got some work to do. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:44 PM   #15

Nice writeup Bikester! Personally I thought the ride and handling was very good but I'm good to look at the helper spring adjustment. I'm one of the guys that replaced the tankless water heater after deciding it was way too cantankerous, fiddly, and not suitable for a low flow RV. My previous 2 RVs worked just fine with a standard 6 gallons WH and I could use the parks energy. My Garmin GPS works just fine. I like the display of the Jensen, but the maps are from 2012 and aren't updatable without a bucket of dough. All in all I think I got a lot of bang for the buck with the 29MV.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #16

Definitely agree with replacing the shower head. I'm surprised you didn't make a comment about the slide out retaining bars. Some dealers on the walk thru do not talk about those, but they should have been in the coach somewhere.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:19 PM   #17

Very happy to hear this review. I was dead set on a forester but was swayed to the Greyhawk recently. The Seneca would be nice, but I don't have that kind of scratch laying around.

Has anyone had the dealer put on slide toppers?

Thanks
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
reitrof, I looked up and read (twice) the Hellwig thread you just mentioned. Good read. Mine are 4" so I've got some work to do. Thanks for the heads up!
I did a write up on adjusting the heillwig's in that thread. Not hard to do at all. Mine are set to 2". Made a big difference in the handling!!
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
Has anyone had the dealer put on slide toppers?

Carl, I had the dealer put on black slide toppers) matches well to the paint job and I live in northeast not the desert) at my time of purchase. Happy I did. They only charged me for parts and threw in the installation.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #20

MomDad, yes your words were the reason I figured I could probably do the adjustment myself just fine. In a way I have a bit of trepidation in doing the adjustment as I'm very happy with the way it rides and drives. But I could always put it back if I didn't like it.
CarlB, I believe the Jayco is a better product than the Forest River. I use RV Consumer Group reviews and came to that conclusion. Yeppirs, Seneca would be nice but too rich for my blood also.
Bikester, such a deal you got from the dealer for the install. I watched a YouTube video and decided I could probably do it myself.

Tags
31fs, greyhawk, tankless