Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #1

Inside and outside water pump switches

I'm a newbie struggling to figure out my 2020 Redhawk SE 27N, including its water system.

There are two water pump switches: one on the outside on the Utility Center where you find settings for City fill, Country Fill, etc.; the other, on the inside on the Command Center monitor panel near the door. I have attached pictures of each to this post.

I thought the outside switch was only to turn on a pump for "country filling" - that is, filling the fresh water tank from a non-pressurized source. I thought the purpose of the inside switch was to activate a pump to pull water from the fresh water tank and run it through the sink, toilette, etc.

Now, it appears that I can't get water from the sink or make the toilette flush unless both the inside and the outside switches are turned on. If this is the way it is supposed to work, why are both switches needed? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Outside Water Pump Switch.jpg   Inside Water Pump Switch.jpg  
curtsnyder1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:10 PM   #2

Welcome to the JOF and congratulations on your new RV.
The 2 switches are a convenience factor so you can turn the pump ON or OFF from either location. If you are connected to a CG water system your switch combo will be City Fixtures and you can flip your water pump switch to OFF in your wet bay without having to go inside the coach. Otherwise your pump will run steady without pumping any water.
When you are leaving the CG you will flip the combo to Normal so that you will enable the onboard pump system. You can either turn the pump ON from the wet bay or go into the coach and turn it ON when you think you might need it.
Lots of folks keep their pump turned OFF while traveling to avoid any potential mishaps and turn it ON when someone needs to use the bathroom or run water in the kitchen. Then it’s convenient to use the switch inside the coach. I almost guarantee there will be a time you forget to flip the valves to Normal after disconnecting at a CG. That’s when you will expand your vocabulary as this system takes some getting used to. Safe travels and enjoy.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #3

Yep, that is how they work. You can turn the pump on or off from either location.

I mainly use the inside switch to control the pump and typically just leave it on during a camping trip. The outside one is useful when filling the tank. If filling from city water you can turn your pump off (if it was on) while you fill. If doing a country fill the switch is used to turn the pump on and off while sucking water in.

I recommend leaving the outside switch in the position that allows the inside switch to turn the pump on or off. That way when you press the top of the inside switch to turn the pump on you will indeed be turning it on. It just seems more natural that way. Just an opinion.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsnyder1991 View Post

Now, it appears that I can't get water from the sink or make the toilette flush unless both the inside and the outside switches are turned on. If this is the way it is supposed to work, why are both switches needed? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
That doesn't seen right, one or the other should turn the pump on. I personally would pull the switches and check the wiring. Every rig I've owned all the switches worked independently. Our SENECA actually had 3. Control Panel, Bath, and outside.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:31 AM   #5

I appreciate the feedback from Rice1951, JimD, and Grumpy, snippets of which I've pasted below:
  • Rice1951: The 2 switches are a convenience factor so you can turn the pump ON or OFF from either location.
  • JimD: You can turn the pump on or off from either location.
  • Grumpy: [Being required to have both switches on] doesn’t…[seem]...right, one or the other should turn the pump on. I personally would pull the switches and check the wiring. Every rig I've owned all the switches worked independently.

From these posts, it seems clear that I should not be required to have both switches on at the same time.

Of course, there could be something else going on here that is a user and/or rig issue, but at least your feedback will help me to begin an intelligent conversation with the dealer.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:25 AM   #6

Well, this is embarrassing, but I just discovered that the Redhawk works exactly as it's supposed to: the water pump can be turned on with either the outside OR the inside switch.

My misperception of the situation was caused by a combination of lack of experience and communication with the spouse. An IT guy I have worked with said he would describe it as PICNIC (problem in chair, not in computer).

Thanks, again, for the feedback and sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #7

Glad it got figured out! And it's not a waste of time. Fellas here love helping out. Happy trails!

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:

Not a problem.....
Old 09-07-2020, 09:22 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Well, this is embarrassing, but I just discovered that the Redhawk works exactly as it's supposed to: the water pump can be turned on with either the outside OR the inside switch.
Just also keep in mind, as this is how it works in my rig. If you leave the switch turned on at the shower location, when the pump switch is off at the main control panel, the Red "on" light will glow at the control panel. Took me a second to wonder why the pump was on, even when the switch at the control panel was off.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #10

Quote:
My misperception of the situation was caused by a combination of lack of experience and communication with the spouse. An IT guy I have worked with said he would describe it as PICNIC (problem in chair, not in computer).

PEBKAC!

Don't apologize! This one stumped me for a bit and I've seen it asked a dozen times.

Keep those questions coming! Better to ask them before something goes amiss than after! Like I sure wish that fellow had asked the group here before plugging his RV into 230V AC.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:58 PM   #11

Quote:
.....My misperception of the situation was caused by a combination of lack of experience and communication with the spouse.....
LOLwhen has this ever happened before? Glad you got it figured out.