Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #1

Installing a Trac Bar on a Greyhawk MV

Reaching out to those who know.....

I'm researching the installation of a Trac Bar on the rear of my '16 Greyhawk 29 MV with the J'Ride Suspension setup.

Having watched U-Tude videos on the issue, I realize that the rear sway bars on my coach are not connected like most. The rear sway bar tips hang from rods instead of bolted straight to the frame.

Has anyone here experienced the installation of a rear "trac bar" on a Jayco Class C (E450) coach with J'Ride suspension...??

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #2

I installed a Supersteer SS 450 Track bar on my 2016 Redhawk 29XK and Hellwig Heavy Duty sway bars Front and Rear.
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #3

I received a return phone call from Blue Ox with somewhat sad news.

He asked if the exhaust pipe crossed over the differential and came out the back or rear side of the coach. I said yes. He said that the Blue Ox Trac bar could not be installed until the exhaust length was reduced to a length that would allow the tail pipe to come out of the rear side before crossing the differential (rear wheels)

He indicated shortening the length of the exhaust would allow clearance across the right side of the differential for the trac bar.

He also indicated that he was not aware of any trac bar manufactured that would fit as long as that exhaust was over the differential.

SO .... elcheapo I'm wondering did your Redhawk coach come with J'Ride ...???

Did your exhaust pipe and muffler cross over the rear differential before exiting out of the rear..???

Old 04-15-2017, 05:42 AM   #4

I was wondering,what is a rear trac bar and what is its purpose.I have a 2017 greyhawk .
Seems pretty stable and rides pretty nice with the Jride suspension ?
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:37 AM   #5

My tail pipe comes out behind the right rear tires, goes over right rear axle. My trac bar mounts to left side of frame and bottom right axle sway bar mounting plate. I also have the J Ride springs on it. Purpose of trac bar is to eliminate side sway from leaf springs as it ties the rear axle to the frame. My chassis is a Ford E-450.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapo View Post
My tail pipe comes out behind the right rear tires, goes over right rear axle. My trac bar mounts to left side of frame and bottom right axle sway bar mounting plate. I also have the J Ride springs on it. Purpose of trac bar is to eliminate side sway from leaf springs as it ties the rear axle to the frame. My chassis is a Ford E-450.
Thanks ..... So, which Trac Bar did you install on your Redhawk ...???
Old 04-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #7

Supersteer SS 450 looks just like a Blue Ox TT2450.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
I was wondering,what is a rear trac bar and what is its purpose.I have a 2017 greyhawk .
Seems pretty stable and rides pretty nice with the Jride suspension ?
You can google "sway bar vs trac bar" but essentially, a sway bar reduces the tendency of the coach to roll over when going around a corner. Make a tight right turn and the coach tends to roll to the left.

A trac bar keeps the axle centered under the coach. If you feel like your rear end is pushed to one side when a big semi comes up from behind, you might want to look into a trac bar.

I think that's what they do.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #9

We have a '17 Redhawk on the E-450 chassis and installed the Blue OX TT2450. Our exhaust runs high above and over the rear axle then down and out the side behind the rear wheels. You'll find a lot of reviews stating how the blue ox instructions are backwards. If you try to install it how they are written it will never work. The shop that installed mine was quite frustrated but was able to reach blue ox and after a lot of "discussion" they finally admitted it was wrong and that the way he was installing it was correct. If you look on Amazon the reviews are mediocre but all are related to bad instructions.

These things should be standard from the factory.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #10

I am in the process of installing the Blue Ox TT2450 on my 2017 Redhawk 29XK. It does not fit. The bar is too short by 1-1/4 inch. I have been working with Blue Ox since 4/11/17 trying to get the problem resolved. I thought I may have done something wrong so I had a RV tech that retired from Colton RV look at it and he assured me the brackets are installed correctly (There is not much room where the brackets have to attach). This was supposed to be a bolt on simple application. Blue Ox is working with me to get it resolved, but right now I am sitting on a $630.00 product I cant use.
fuimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuimus View Post
I am in the process of installing the Blue Ox TT2450 on my 2017 Redhawk 29XK. It does not fit. The bar is too short by 1-1/4 inch. I have been working with Blue Ox since 4/11/17 trying to get the problem resolved. I thought I may have done something wrong so I had a RV tech that retired from Colton RV look at it and he assured me the brackets are installed correctly (There is not much room where the brackets have to attach). This was supposed to be a bolt on simple application. Blue Ox is working with me to get it resolved, but right now I am sitting on a $630.00 product I cant use.

Have you asked about the instructions being backwards? Ours is installed on a 2017 redhawk 29xk and installed just fine once we figured out the instructions were wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
Have you asked about the instructions being backwards? Ours is installed on a 2017 redhawk 29xk and installed just fine once we figured out the instructions were wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I have the updated instructions They have me installing the the frame bracket on the drivers side. Exhaust is on the passenger side. I did it just like this video.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #13

Did you try adjusting the rod eye on the one end that is adjustable ?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #14

Oh yeah
Old 04-21-2017, 05:57 AM   #15

Yes I did adjust. I wasn't comfortable with the amount of adjustment.https://goo.gl/photos/ZgYwhTtqNkBaR1AK9

You can see the amount of threads in the bar
https://goo.gl/photos/zp9qRVjDwuioHPvV9
Old 04-21-2017, 06:23 AM   #16

I also noticed in your photos, that the right side bracket that mounts to the sway bar bracket does not have the side flanges with set screws that keep it from moving side ways. It shows them on the Blue OX instructions. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...structions.pdf
Old 04-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #17

these are the instructions that came with mine
https://goo.gl/photos/R7pNwfGVh22oXunk9
Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #18

Looks to me like they made it cheaper to make. I bought a Supersteer SS450, much better quality and lower cost.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:24 AM   #19

Yes I looked at the ss450 and it looked identical to the blue ox. Cept for the newer blue ox eliminated the the sidea adjustments on the axle bracket. But that wouldn't account for the 1-1/4 inch discrepency
Old 05-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #20

An update to my Tiger Trak Install. Connor at Blue Ox got me into Colton RV to have them check my installation. The Tech took the bracket off and moved it down the frame what little he could and turned the top frame plate with the chamferd rods to the inside of the coach, That gave him enough to get about 10 threads into the bar. He said it was a real struggle to get it to attach. Bottom line, it is not a simple bolt on application in my case. It also cost me another 300.00. But I am glad I have it installed.