Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

Installing Exterior Baggage/Compartment Door Clips

Like some of you, my head is getting a little sore holding open the exterior baggage or compartment doors when I want to get something out that requires two hands. So I purchased some standard white spring-loaded clips that should do the job on our 2018 29MV.

Now that the time has come to do the installation, I'm a tad worried about drilling screw holes in the sides of our nice new MH. I have no idea if I'm going to be drilling and screwing into pipes, or wires, or ductwork, or into a proper solid surface. The screws I got are #8 x 1/2" stainless so they won't go too deep, but I still have no idea what's behind door number one. And from what I have seen and read on the JOF, the Jayco employees aren't worried about where and how the utilities are run.

I know some of you may have used adhesive or glue or tape or screws. So, what works best? Should I be worried, or just go for it? I am extremely careful so I won't be predrilling a 2"deep hole for a 1/2" screw. Your opinions are always appreciated!

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

Just tape and screws.
mcole9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
Like some of you, my head is getting a little sore holding open the exterior baggage or compartment doors when I want to get something out that requires two hands. So I purchased some standard white spring-loaded clips that should do the job on our 2018 29MV.

Now that the time has come to do the installation, I'm a tad worried about drilling screw holes in the sides of our nice new MH. I have no idea if I'm going to be drilling and screwing into pipes, or wires, or ductwork, or into a proper solid surface. The screws I got are #8 x 1/2" stainless so they won't go too deep, but I still have no idea what's behind door number one. And from what I have seen and read on the JOF, the Jayco employees aren't worried about where and how the utilities are run.

I know some of you may have used adhesive or glue or tape or screws. So, what works best? Should I be worried, or just go for it? I am extremely careful so I won't be predrilling a 2"deep hole for a 1/2" screw. Your opinions are always appreciated!

I used 3M auto emblem tape. They have been on for over a year, I live in AZ (high heat and teens in the winter) and they hold without any worries .... and, no drilling !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #4

Like you i didnt want to drill holes in new rv so used the doubled sided molding tape. comes in different widths and can be purchased at auto parts stores. Has held over a year. I also used it to secure the stove top cover I added also
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #5

Like others, I installed the clips using 3M Moulding Tape. Never had one come loose. I prepped the surface with alcohol first. Just make sure not to touch the sticky side of the tape with your fingers. I didn't want to use plastic clips, I found these stanless steel ones. (same vendor I bought my recliners from).

https://www.recpro.com/rv-baggage-do...ainless-steel/
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:43 AM   #6

I used some plain old silicone caulk that dries clear. Hasn't been that long yet but seems to be holding just fine.
ekdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:03 AM   #7
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
The new campers have magnets which are even easier than the spring clips. Have you thought about trying those? The spring clips still need two hands to fasten them open but the magnets only take one.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #8

Pretty much everything attached to the outside of the unit uses screws and butyl tape. When I put these on my old trailer that's what I did, screwed them in with butyl tape on the backside. Never had a problem.

They came on my current trailer and that's exactly how they are mounted.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #9

Our Prestige came with these baggage door clips. I can tell you that the placement is very important. Some of mine work better than others and it's because they are either too high or low on the door to catch properly. They do all work but some are better than others.

Also the factory didn't install any door clips on the compartment doors where the slides cover the doors when out. I understand why but shen the slides are in I miss not having them there.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #10

Then you have to screw or glue twice per door
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote