Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #1

Installing Solar on a Melbourne

Hello fellow Jayco owners! My wife and I recently picked up a 2008 26A Melbourne. I've made a few first upgrades, including the new radio screen attached below 😍 Next up on the project list is solar. I've got 3x100w panels coming with a 40A MPPT charge controller. I've done a RV solar install before but this RV is a fair amount smaller. I'm struggling to find a creative way to run the cables down from the roof and where to put the charge controller that's not too far from the battery bank. After some back and forth, I'm thinking the best option is cables down through the roof and into the back cabinet, then along the back wall and under the bed where the controller will be. I'm hesitant with this spot because it leave no option but to run the battery cables 8-10ft knowing there will be a loss of power. Thinking I might just upgrade the cables from 10awg to 6awg to help with the distance.

But alas! I'm here to see if anyone else has done this before and where your solar pieces are at.

Smooth roads ✌️
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
20200730_180859_HDR.jpg  
thejonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:48 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I don’t know how it would work for solar wires but I read that others have used the refrigerator vent on the roof to get wires down to a cabinet. Good luck.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:36 AM   #3

Howdy-- I have a 29D, the dealer ran the through fridge vent, and the controller is on the entry wall above all the other switches. As far as all the downsteam wires, it looks like they used the wires that came in the kit (Zamp)
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26a, install, melbourne, panels, solar