Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

Installing XM radio and antenna on a Greyhawk

FWIW, Just installed an XM radio in our 2016 Greyhawk! After reading all the posts and looking at pricing, I elected to go with the easy XM radio and antenna purchased at Best Buy. Total kit $39.95. Installed the antenna on the roof routing the cable down the side and in through the drivers side door hiding it in the seal! Ran it to the tunnel and connected it to the radio. I used small plastic conduit from Lowes to cover the outside routed wire! Beige matches cab color perfectly. The audio cable hooks to the aux in and operates through the panel by pushing Aux 1 on the panel. Still allows GPS to announces direction. Power plugs into one of the 2 power outlets. Really works well and allows me to use the unit as a portable on my motorcycle. Only had to purchase an additional antenna. The antenna is a magnetic mount but I attached to the roof with 3M outdoor tape. Many options to install radio. I chose industrial strength Velcro. The retrofit adapter for the Greyhawk costs $18.99 and the antenna another $26.99. The install I chose allows portability, without radio removal! Either way, you still have to deal with the antenna install. Not perfect but works for me!
ncgreyhawkmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #2

Smile

Ncgreyhawkmv, Could you show photos of the installed conduit you used? Also the installation of the antenna on the roof. This could solve my issue of installing the antenna on the roof. Thanks!

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

Traveling today. Will post some tomorrow!
Old 02-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #4

I too have a 2016 Greyhawk with the Jensen system and would like to know how you did this as well. I really want the added benefit of the satellite service, so if you could post some pics and part numbers that would be awesome.
Thanks
TomE1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:12 AM   #5

Here are the pics of the install. The antenna is simply installed on the roof above the drivers side using 3M automotive double sided tape. The radio is a Sirius ez model purchased from Best Buy. It can also be purchased directly from Sirius. It comes with an automotive install package. I have some finishing touches to add to the conduit to cover the joints. All of the wiring attaches just above the housing on the dashboard. The power cord is plugged into the outlet on the dashboard. Audio cord plugs into the aux outlet also on the dashboard. Works great. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9022.jpg   IMG_9025.jpg   IMG_9027.jpg  
Old 02-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #6

One additional note. I used the 3m tape (thin size) to attach the conduit to the camper. The tape on the conduit tends to give way when exposed to weather over time. The 3M tape is available in the automotive department at Walmart.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #7

Hi Guys,
Just installed an XM antenna on my Redhawk 26X1. I decided to go through the roof to route the cable inside. I used some parts from Home Depot to make a cable pass-through and it worked like a charm. I got a surprise though, I found that I have a styrofoam roof! There is the 1/8 interior panel, 1-1/2 inches of styrofoam, a 1/8 plywood deck and the IPO roof, That's it. Works, but take care on those roofs!
mcole9 is offline   Reply With Quote