Jayco RV Owners Forum

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 149
insurance on a toad

I tow my 08 Ford Edge now. My 02 Greyhawk seams to pull it ok. I would like to find a smaller vehicle to pull. If I get a smaller toad, My Insurance co. makes me insure the vehicle rather it sits or not. Has anyone heard of a insurance company what will insure the toad only when it is being used. In my case a little over a month and a half. Thanks Stan

stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
Jagiven's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,114
Ask the question about putting the vehicle in storage, for a good part of the year. My model T is licensed and insured as an every day drive. I call up the insurance lady every fall and pull most of the insurance. For the next 6 or 7 months it costs me $7.

Key is to ask question. If you still do not like what they are saying start shopping around.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
Senior Member
edatlanta's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville, AL - Home Base
Posts: 2,524
I would check with your state DMV first. Most states require a minimum insurance level just to have a state tag on it. Actually driving it makes no difference. Then I would shop around and see what insurance could do for me.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
Senior Member
RoyBraddy's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: King George
Posts: 2,397
You can stop everything except COMPREHENSIVE coverage here where i live and keep your tags still valid whether you drive it or not.

When leaving your toad parked at home with no insurance coverage and a tree falls on it don't think the home owners insurance will cover it...

If you are still financing your toad the local finance company will have some requirements as well on how much Insurance you need to keep active whether you drive it or not.

Learn all those things first before trying to do what you are wanting to do...

Here the insurance companies and the DMV are linked together. If you don't have the required Insurance the DMV will immediately pull your tags. Some states require you to have Insurance active when being checked by local police for various reasons. Failure to prove Insurance usually results in the tags being pulled immediately. In Texas a local driver license check also checks for the proper Insurance Coverage on the vehicle you are driving... Kinda hard to navigate down the road without tags on the vehicle...

Roy Ken
Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.