Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #1

Interested in a 2020 Seneca HJ

I'm really interested in the Seneca S2RV Chassis with 360HP/800 ft. lb. torque, 29,000 GVW, 41,000 GCWR, and higher pass-thru storage. My main objective is to be able to tow 7,000 lbs. and/or put 1,000# of tongue weight on the receiver and never have to think about it. I'll be moving from a 36' Class A gas that doesn't perform all that well with a 5K trailer on back, but gets the job done. One thing stopping me, layout-wise, is the fact that we can't access the rear bedroom with the passenger side slide-out closed. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
bob-kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #2

We use our bedroom by putting out the driver side slide ( no support under the foot of the bed because the base is stationary ) the door opening is tight but useable with the passenger side slide in - we have spent many nights at Wallyworld or a truck stop where we can’t put all slides out Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-kessler View Post
I'll be moving from a 36' Class A gas that doesn't perform all that well with a 5K trailer on back, but gets the job done. One thing stopping me, layout-wise, is the fact that we can't access the rear bedroom with the passenger side slide-out closed. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
You will really be pleased with the much more stable and relaxed ride the Seneca platform provides. We also went from a 38 ft A gasser to the Seneca and it was a night and day difference in drive-ability. You didn't say why you wanted to access the BR, but you certainly can access the bed, rear closet, and all upper cabinets by climbing in through the door. This is with both slides in. You won't be able to access the stacked washer/dryer, the lower dresser drawers on the patio side, underneath the bed, or the fuse and breaker panels.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #4

Question about holding tanks

A question I have regarding the Seneca is in regards to the holding tanks. Are the tanks installed in a heated compartment or are there heat strips/blankets around the tanks?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
A question I have regarding the Seneca is in regards to the holding tanks. Are the tanks installed in a heated compartment or are there heat strips/blankets around the tanks?
I can only speak for a TS. The gray tank was in the wheel well which did have a heat run to that area. The black tank was in a bay across from the wet bay (which you will likely heat with a heater). From installing remote temp sensors, the bay areas will only be about 5 degrees above ambient temp. Jayco tells you in the brochure that it has a heated and enclosed underbelly, but if you call them they tell you this is NOT a four season coach. I don’t believe that heat run to the wheel well can provide enough heat for freeze protection. I empty the gray tank and have heat tape on water lines. I don’t use my black tank so it’s not an issue.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #6

Welcome to your search for a Super C Motorhome... and Welcome to the Jayco Owners forum.. JOF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-kessler View Post
I'm really interested in the Seneca S2RV Chassis with 360HP/800 ft. lb. torque, 29,000 GVW, 41,000 GCWR, and higher pass-thru storage. My main objective is to be able to tow 7,000 lbs. and/or put 1,000# of tongue weight on the receiver and never have to think about it. I'll be moving from a 36' Class A gas that doesn't perform all that well with a 5K trailer on back, but gets the job done. One thing stopping me, layout-wise, is the fact that we can't access the rear bedroom with the passenger side slide-out closed. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Even those of us on the M2 chassis have no problem towing 7k#. Yes the new chassis has more power and torque that will perform better than our 33kGVWR which is where we run most of the time with our trailer/toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
We use our bedroom by putting out the driver side slide ( no support under the foot of the bed because the base is stationary ) the door opening is tight but useable with the passenger side slide in - we have spent many nights at Wallyworld or a truck stop where we can’t put all slides out Les
This is going to be a HUGE consideration on your part - shopping for the right floor plan. We wanted something that we could get around in with the drivers side slide retracted in - but push out the passenger bedroom slide out when we needed to stop for a quick night sleep. We spend a few nights a year in front of friends houses on their street (where we can not put out the drivers side slide). We found our floor plan allows full access to everything except three cabinets (that we put rarely needed stuff into that we have not seen in a couple of years anyways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
You will really be pleased with the much more stable and relaxed ride the Seneca platform provides.
Can not agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Jayco might claim that they are in a heated compartment... but with a minor investment in a couple of electric heaters mounted in the right places - our Seneca has seen us thru some amazing winter camping - even the bomb cyclone that hit Minnesota last spring. (Search for the JOF thread I posted on the enclosed compartment heaters I added- and others have done too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
I can only speak for a TS. The gray tank was in the wheel well which did have a heat run to that area. The black tank was in a bay across from the wet bay (which you will likely heat with a heater). From installing remote temp sensors, the bay areas will only be about 5 degrees above ambient temp. Jayco tells you in the brochure that it has a heated and enclosed underbelly, but if you call them they tell you this is NOT a four season coach. I don’t believe that heat run to the wheel well can provide enough heat for freeze protection. I empty the gray tank and have heat tape on water lines. I don’t use my black tank so it’s not an issue.
We use them all... (with the heaters I mentioned) all the way to +5F with all tanks in use. (we disconnect the fresh and black/grey hoses at night... stay on our own internal water systems overnight to avoid external freeze issues.)
Attached Thumbnails
20190411_172303.jpg   20171031_140540.jpg   20171031_140558.jpg   20180504_111319.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ScaleTicket20171111.pdf (232.9 KB, 5 views)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote