Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #1

Interior light LED conversion

Our 2011 Greyhawk has Halogen lights throughout. We would like to change them out to LED's. Would love to get some input on what others have done or would do visa-vie brands, colour, lumens etc.

My initial thought was "warm" or "natural" white as opposed to "cool" white. At the moment I'm leaning towards the "warm" while my wife thinks she would prefer the "natural". Anyone chose one and wish they had of chosen the other ?

The first one's I was looking to change out are the under cabinet lights in the kitchen. There are two fixtures (one double over the sink and one single in the corner) that both utilize 921 bulbs.

The two that I've initially narrowed it down to are :

921 LED, 295 Lumens, Warm White, 10-30vdc

Elite Series Wedge Base Retrofit Bulb

Both are in the 350 lumens range which I think should suffice although there is also this one which at 575 lumens, my gut tells me would likely be overkill :

Elite Series Retrofit Bulb

Thoughts or alternate suggestions ??

The other lights needing attention are the interior G4 pin type halogen bulbs (10 and 20 watt) used throughout the interior.

First stop was amazon :

Brightech - G4 Base 12V LED Light Bulb Replacement - Warm White Color - Disc Type Side Pin 10 Watt Halogen Replacement for RV Campers, Trailers, Boats, and Under-cabinet Lights. Warm White Light for Best Ambience and Conformt - Led Household Light Bu

but the two sites listed above also have them in the 150-180 lumen range :

G4-10 LED

Retrofit LED to replace G4 Double Pin Halogen

as well as a 315 lumen model :

Elite Series Retrofit LED to replace Small 10w G4 / T3 Halogen

and even a 600 lumen version :

Elite Series Retrofit LED to replace Small 10w G4 / T3 Halogen

Again would love to hear any and all thoughts on the above before I pull the trigger on a purchase in the next couple of days.

Many thanks

busguy

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #2

I'm not sure exactly what M4 Elite bulb I have, but I love my M4s. They are pricey compared to eBay fare, but I'm quite pleased w/ all of mine. Only had one go out out of the 22 I bought.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #3

I've bought a set of LEDs for both TT's we've owned. The current 5th has a scattering of the 921 bulbs and 14 or so halogen. When the first halogen burned out I had trouble locating a replacement so I found LED replacements on ebay.
These were ordered from a supplier in China and shipped from there. They advise the shipping can be 3-4 weeks but I recall mine arriving in about 2 weeks.
I had 2 sizes of halogen bulbs M4 and (I think) M3. I shopped for a bulb that would give about 3000K color temperature which would be called "warm white". I would pass on ones that only "said" warm white (what "he" calls "warm white" I might describe as "icy cool").
I would then try to match the brightness (lumen) to the original bulb.
I discovered the smaller of the halogen replacements (M3 I think) had the pins a tiny bit too close but a quick bend with needle nose pliers and I was good to go.
We've been happy with the replacements. Out of the maybe 20 I replaced I've had 1 go bad. When I originally bought I made sure to get a couple extra of each kind.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #4

We purchased these:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 from Amazon to cover the two types we needed.
One set is natural white and the other warm white. I'm sure my wife can see the difference I don't notice it.
While I know the point of them is that they save energy/battery life over halogens I really like that it doesn't feel like you're under a heat lamp when reading.
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #5

I replaced all on my GH31SS. Purchased from Amazon. I do not recall them to be overly expensive. I did not purchase them all at the same time, so not all are the same shade of white. If I were doing it again I would buy them all at once. I was however able to move them around and get all lights in each room the same color.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote