Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #41

Ok Jim

Smoke another fatty
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I am curious to hear from everyone with recommendations and testimonials as to how to access the internet while traveling around the country in their RV. We have a Greyhawk 26y and use it to go to antique shows and flea markets across the country. None of these venues have hookups or WiFi, so we need access to the internet. We currently have a Verizon MiFi; however, after 15 GB it throttles down to 600 Kbs. We need internet for obvious reasons — email, web browsing — and to run security cameras and inside temperature for dogs. We would like to be able to access some video streaming providers, if possible.

Any suggestions?
We just ran into this issue on our preliminary work week long camp out. We have noticed most campgrounds with wifi are not good for wifi. Unless you have an extender and even then it is hit and miss. We also have a Verizon hot spot with unlimited. And you are correct, unlimited is 15. Our family member has been with Verizon forever so I sent a panicked text when we instantly ran out running two work computers with zoom meetings. I can use my phone for an additional 15 but it doesn't help for long. He is looking and asking around because we have a mobile office for the time being. But so far it sounds like dish services are the only ones. Sadly Verizon has the best coverage area still to this day and any mifi or hot spot works on the coverage area so if you do find something from another carrier with higher hot spot data make sure you can access it from where you are going.

For us, until we need to invest big cash into a dish system for net we will just keep switching from unlimited phones with hot spots and our mifi from Verizon. We are also investing in a booster to amplify the wifi at campgrounds that have it to get a better signal. And keep our fingers crossed.

Also side note you can stretch internet if you don't stream anything and just check email. No videos or Netflix, even the news with pop up videos use it up quicker. Save any of that for the used up hot spot. It will still work. It's alot of juggling and switching but it helped us.
Slowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:04 PM   #43

I use skyroam x pay as you go and has several plans
Psidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:10 PM   #44

Quote:
I am curious to hear from everyone with recommendations and testimonials as to how to access the internet while traveling around the country in their RV. We have a Greyhawk 26y and use it to go to antique shows and flea markets across the country. None of these venues have hookups or WiFi, so we need access to the internet. We currently have a Verizon MiFi; however, after 15 GB it throttles down to 600 Kbs. We need internet for obvious reasons — email, web browsing — and to run security cameras and inside temperature for dogs. We would like to be able to access some video streaming providers, if possible.

Any suggestions?
I have Verizon and sharing between 3 people it was 20 dollars more a month total than 5 gb I had before for unlimited data
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #45

I have four grandfathered unlimited plans.... I can't use it up.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #46

Here's what I did just this month, with AT&T. It works great! The AT&T salesperson i worked with was awesome and told me of this workaround:
Do not ask for a stand-alone wifi hotspot plan, with the Netgear Nighthawk device. The dedicated hotspot plans are data-limited.
Instead, buy your Nighhawk device in full, then have AT&T add it as a 'bring your own device' to a regular cellular plan with the Ultimate package. This will treat your WiFi device as cellphone, on your AT&T plan, which saves you $, and gives you actual unlimited data. The data speeds are only throttled down when the network is congested, not when you reach some imposed limit.
I was a Verizon customer going in, but I converted my cell phones to AT&T, added the Nighthawk as another phone line, and now I'm not only saving $, but I have a portable wifi device for $15/month.
ramori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:38 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
When I worked at my last gig I was supposed to be available 24/7/365. It seemed that nobody was willing to step up to the plate if I was gone. At home, if the phone rang at 3 AM I was expected to go into the plant to solve the problem. If I was on an authorized vacation, I was to be at least available by phone or email to guide them through it.

We camp in the mountains with no internet or phone access. I told them so. That was my story and I'll stick to it....LOL.

Camping is my respite from the daily grind. Now that I'm retired its still my respite. And....., I still have no internet access when I'm sitting in the mountains simply enjoying the scenery, the solitude and life in general.

Why in heck does anyone need internet access when camping on vacation??? If you do, you need to chill out and start enjoying life.
So we can answer post like yours!

Full time Camping is our retirement, we stay connected to our 3 grandchildren and 4 adult children whom we FaceTime!, We like to be outdoors as much as possible, use the campground amenities and explore nature. So we google fun things to do that we wouldn’t ordinarily find on our own. When we are away from our RV doing these fun things we also use the internet to monitor our Dog in case we loose power and air conditioning and we also use the internet to monitor our RV for security.

We also use the internet to plan routs and book our next destination, (also checking reviews And RV access), and fuel stops along the way.

We also use the internet in case we brake down on the road and or look for places for routine service.

And there’s that other thing called entertainment, On rainy and extremely hot days, or when I don’t feel well enough to go out we stream videos etc...

Hope that answers your question?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:10 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post

Full time Camping is our retirement, we stay connected to our 3 grandchildren and 4 adult children whom we FaceTime!, We like to be outdoors as much as possible, use the campground amenities and explore nature. So we google fun things to do that we wouldn’t ordinarily find on our own. When we are away from our RV doing these fun things we also use the internet to monitor our Dog in case we loose power and air conditioning and we also use the internet to monitor our RV for security.

We also use the internet to plan routs and book our next destination, (also checking reviews And RV access), and fuel stops along the way.

We also use the internet in case we brake down on the road and or look for places for routine service.

And there’s that other thing called entertainment, On rainy and extremely hot days, or when I don’t feel well enough to go out we stream videos etc...

Good answer. I didn't equate full-timing with "camping". To me the latter is a vacation.

Certainly, in today's society an internet connection is essential. What gripes me is when the kids today (and some adults as well) are so engulfed in their phones that life is passing them by.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:30 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramori View Post
Here's what I did just this month, with AT&T. It works great! The AT&T salesperson i worked with was awesome and told me of this workaround:
Do not ask for a stand-alone wifi hotspot plan, with the Netgear Nighthawk device. The dedicated hotspot plans are data-limited.
Instead, buy your Nighhawk device in full, then have AT&T add it as a 'bring your own device' to a regular cellular plan with the Ultimate package. This will treat your WiFi device as cellphone, on your AT&T plan, which saves you $, and gives you actual unlimited data. The data speeds are only throttled down when the network is congested, not when you reach some imposed limit.
I was a Verizon customer going in, but I converted my cell phones to AT&T, added the Nighthawk as another phone line, and now I'm not only saving $, but I have a portable wifi device for $15/month.
How long have you’ve been using your device this way?

Through research I’ve found out that ATT can figure out by your data usage that you are not using the SIM card on a cell phone, they can then shut your SIM card and device down and black list your IMEI number on your device so you can never register it again. Unless you have purchased an IMEI number and know how to program and register your sim and device that way? In which case you still can be picked up by the carry as a hotspot but your IMEI can always be purchased/changed again.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #50

Quote:
How long have you’ve been using your device this way?

Through research I’ve found out that ATT can figure out by your data usage that you are not using the SIM card on a cell phone, they can then shut your SIM card and device down and black list your IMEI number on your device so you can never register it again. Unless you have purchased an IMEI number and know how to program and register your sim and device that way? In which case you still can be picked up by the carry as a hotspot but your IMEI can always be purchased/changed again.
I by no means have any expertise in this issue (that’s why I posted the question originally); however, reading the input from everyone who has posted, I think I have figured out a few things. Even though I didn’t know exactly what I was doing, I think I discovered what you shared regarding bring your own device, the SIM card, and adding a hotspot device to an account as a cell phone or as a tablet. It’s apparent that the cellular companies bundle their data differentiating between cell phones, tablets, and hot spot devices. What I noticed was the data plans with both Verizon and ATT are significantly lower in the amount of data than the data plans that come with cell phones and tables. For example, the plan I have with Verizon has “unlimited” data (50 GB) for the phone along with 15 GB of hot spot throttled to 600 kbs after the 15 GB. Verizon has tiny print that says the “throttle” for the 50 GB is dependent on network load. I found the ATT plans were almost exact relative to data as well as to cost. But, what I also noticed was ATT has a service called “wireless internet.” I can be a little confusing because in one place it appears that the device and plans are offered as a business account. Other places you look, there is no mention of it being a business account. The device has internet phone connectivity; i.e., where you connect a “land-line” phone to the phone jack on the device. There are two data plans associated to the device. One offers 50 GB of data and the other offers 100 GB of data. I chose the 100 GB plan which costs $80. Both plans require a voice plan that costs $20. So, all in with the monthly cost of the device is $115. There is a cost for GB after the 100 GB, so once a device is connected to the device WiFi, you type into a web browser the url address for the device, login, and monitor the data usage as well as customize the profile settings, access text messages, etc. I will be doing a trial run for the device next weekend. It does have a rechargeable battery but the manual indicated that the battery charge does not last with a lot of use, so the device needs to be plugged in. And, of course, how it works is dependent on the cellular signal. There are two antenna plugs in the back of the device. I will have to figure adding antennae if cellular strength becomes an issue. So, bottom line, the route I have chosen costs more than adding another line to an ATT account, but in the long run when coupled with the Verizon service I already have, we should be covered for the amount of internet access that we need while traveling.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #51

Quote:
Good answer. I didn't equate full-timing with "camping". To me the latter is a vacation.

Certainly, in today's society an internet connection is essential. What gripes me is when the kids today (and some adults as well) are so engulfed in their phones that life is passing them by.
I agree with you. We as a society can be too connected. I also believe that like every technology that some have said would bring the destruction of society as we know it, it’s not the technology but society’s failure to adapt and to develop norms that govern the use of the technology.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #52

Quote:

Your use of the internet mirrors almost exactly our needs. We want to stay connected with family and friends. We also use the internet to research the cities and sites we want to visit. We also have an antique business so we use the internet to find antique shows and flea markets as well as use the internet for credit card transactions. When out exploring, we use the internet to access the security cameras in the motor home. We travel with our two dogs, so the internet is important in order to monitor the temperature in the motor home. And, like so many who travel, there are emails, paying bills (we still have a brick and mortar), making upcoming reservations, etc. In 2020, it is called living. Finally, I am somewhat of a photographer, and even though I have storage on the laptop and back up on portable drives; there also needs to be storage off-site; i.e., cloud storage. I guess the best way to look at it is we might be traveling around the country and camping, we are also living in the 2020 world, and access to the internet, as appropriate, is important.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #53

Quote:

You parents said the same thing to you when you camped out in front of the TV Saturday mornings watching Bugs Bunny.

Your grandparents said it to your parents when they parked their keisters in front of the radio.

Judge not...
Old 08-30-2020, 11:10 AM   #54

Quote:
but society’s failure to adapt and to develop norms that govern the use of the technology.

I've been on the 'net since the late 80's when I found Usenet.

Had anyone told me that I'd be subjected to everyone's "Inner Thoughts", incessantly, I probably would have changed careers.

Our kids will figure this out.
Where we fail, they usually prevail.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I've been on the 'net since the late 80's when I found Usenet.

Had anyone told me that I'd be subjected to everyone's "Inner Thoughts", incessantly, I probably would have changed careers.

Our kids will figure this out.
Where we fail, they usually prevail.
I agree!!
Old 08-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #56

connectivity on the road

We have AT&T. 4 phones on a family plan for 30 years.
We have gone with their " hot spot ". works great. As long as you have cell service. When we travel, longest trip was 3 months I need internet connection
and I refuse to use the parks wifi and get hacked. I never use public wifi.
Have been hacked in hotels on their wifi. The hot spot for $20 a month cannot be beat. Works great. Unlimited usage, they say.
Yes I have been throttled back. I then switch over to my wifes' phone.
Been using this plan for 3 years now and would not change a thing.
haweinberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #57

And don’t forget Lynx ��
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #58

Quote:
I by no means have any expertise in this issue (that’s why I posted the question originally); however, reading the input from everyone who has posted, I think I have figured out a few things. Even though I didn’t know exactly what I was doing, I think I discovered what you shared regarding bring your own device, the SIM card, and adding a hotspot device to an account as a cell phone or as a tablet. It’s apparent that the cellular companies bundle their data differentiating between cell phones, tablets, and hot spot devices. What I noticed was the data plans with both Verizon and ATT are significantly lower in the amount of data than the data plans that come with cell phones and tables. For example, the plan I have with Verizon has “unlimited” data (50 GB) for the phone along with 15 GB of hot spot throttled to 600 kbs after the 15 GB. Verizon has tiny print that says the “throttle” for the 50 GB is dependent on network load. I found the ATT plans were almost exact relative to data as well as to cost. But, what I also noticed was ATT has a service called “wireless internet.” I can be a little confusing because in one place it appears that the device and plans are offered as a business account. Other places you look, there is no mention of it being a business account. The device has internet phone connectivity; i.e., where you connect a “land-line” phone to the phone jack on the device. There are two data plans associated to the device. One offers 50 GB of data and the other offers 100 GB of data. I chose the 100 GB plan which costs $80. Both plans require a voice plan that costs $20. So, all in with the monthly cost of the device is $115. There is a cost for GB after the 100 GB, so once a device is connected to the device WiFi, you type into a web browser the url address for the device, login, and monitor the data usage as well as customize the profile settings, access text messages, etc. I will be doing a trial run for the device next weekend. It does have a rechargeable battery but the manual indicated that the battery charge does not last with a lot of use, so the device needs to be plugged in. And, of course, how it works is dependent on the cellular signal. There are two antenna plugs in the back of the device. I will have to figure adding antennae if cellular strength becomes an issue. So, bottom line, the route I have chosen costs more than adding another line to an ATT account, but in the long run when coupled with the Verizon service I already have, we should be covered for the amount of internet access that we need while traveling.
Sounds like you’ve got it covered as long as you monitor your usage.

If you are using a nighthawk router or any other battery powered hotspot, pull the battery out and buy a cheap UPS (battery backup) like I did. This way if the RV loose power I’ll still be able to monitor my cameras, temps, etc..

Also the nighthawk has 4 internal MiMo antennas, if you use the 2 external hookups, you will knock it down to 2 antennas only. I will only do this after getting poor speed test from the internal antennas not poor signal strength/low Bars. You can make it worse with external antennas in these situations.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #59

Internet on the road

Quote:

Any suggestions?
If you are a vet or active duty, AT&T offers a 25% discount. I changed to their unlimited plan, 100 GB, and am paying about what we were before when the plan was in my wife’s name. We also bought a WeBoost cell signal booster and we use our tablets and phone as hotspots. Then added an Amazon Firestick with a YouTube TV app subscription, and we watch the same programming as we do at home.
foreverLSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
You parents said the same thing to you when you camped out in front of the TV Saturday mornings watching Bugs Bunny.

Your grandparents said it to your parents when they parked their keisters in front of the radio.

Judge not...
When I was a youngin I spent Saturdays with my Dad and Grandpa fishing. Some weekends we went camping in a tent. Mom came along on both adventures. If that wasn't possible, I was outside in the fields behind my house with my neighborhood friends.

Camping out in front of the TV was limited to days that I was home sick and on the couch under a blanket.

When my kids were young we did the same thing. That is until Grandpa passed away.

Today we go glamping. Our RV has air conditioning, a microwave and even a queen sized bed. Wholly Mackeral, if Grandpa could only see me know.

Our little piece of heaven is in a valley between 2 mountains. It has no TV or cellphone reception. In an emergency, we can drive about 10 minutes to pick up a cell tower.

That's the way we like it. Its our choice. To each his own. If we were on the road our requirements would be different. But for the present we are happy.

I have acid reflux, hay fever and back problems. Nevertheless, when I'm in my RV I sleep like a baby and have no need for Tums. Life is good.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet connection, wifi, wifi issues