Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #1

Inverter for TV only?

I took my 2019 26Y to the dealership today for a recall for the hydraulic pump mount. Apparently they can fail where you'll drag your pump down the road.

Anyways, I asked the service advisor about another issue, and his answer has me scratching my head. I told him the inverter does not work for any of the outlets. His answer was that it's sole purpose is to supply power to the TV. Can that be right?
Hosse Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:03 PM   #2

In most cases that is actually correct. The only outlet connected to the inverter is the one at the front tv.
There are a few motorhomes made in the last couple of years that also have the bedroom tv and possibly one other bedroom outlet powered.
Not sure how many watts your inverter has but that was one of the first upgrades to my '05 Granite Ridge, it only had a 400watt inverter(which is plenty for most tv's) so I swapped it out for a 1000watt. Still only have the tv outlet connected, but can now connect a power strip to charge laptops and phones, and watch tv.
tom35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:08 PM   #3

Great info. I don't watch much TV so I'll use that outlet for a powerstrip and see if we can charge some electronics. Of course, will be monitoring the draw with the Victron.
Hosse Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosse Posse View Post
Great info. I don't watch much TV so I'll use that outlet for a powerstrip and see if we can charge some electronics. Of course, will be monitoring the draw with the Victron.
Just remember it won't work with the ignition on unless you modify the safety relay.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-on-11021.html
Old 04-22-2021, 09:36 PM   #5

My Greyhawk investor works on all TV’s and some of the outlet plugs, Kitchen,bath, and rear bedroom...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #6

It's simple enough to check. Just turn on the inverter, take a small 110V lamp around the rig and check which plugs have power. You could also use a small AC circuit tester, or a DVOM.

In my Greyhawk, the front outlet behind the TV has power (and I've disabled the ignition interlock relay), and the 2 outlets in the bedroom are powered. I believe the outlet under the dinette is also powered, but I haven't verified.

I actually discovered the bedroom outlets by accident. We were on a long journey and left our CPAPs plugged in during the travel day. I happened to be back there getting something and noticed both machines had their little green LED on, indicating they were powered. Had the inverter on for my son to watch a movie while rolling down the long road. I thought "now, that's handy"!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
I told him the inverter does not work for any of the outlets. His answer was that it's sole purpose is to supply power to the TV. Can that be right?

It depends.
His answer is right for some units, not right for others.

On our 2016, he's right. Our inverter supplies power to one outlet, and it's the one behind the main TV
Old 04-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #8
VKC

On my 2018 29 MV it does both TVs and the two bedroom plugs on either side of the bed
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Anyways, I asked the service advisor about another issue, and his answer has me scratching my head. I told him the inverter does not work for any of the outlets. His answer was that it's sole purpose is to supply power to the TV. Can that be right?
As others have said, this could definitely be true. I have a 2013 greyhawk 31FS and the inverter is wired so that it only powers the outlet behind the front TV. In fact, that outlet is hard wired directly into the inverter, so it only works if the inverter is turned on, which is a bit annoying.

You can pretty easily check to see how your inverter is wired, in my case its located under the main bed along with all the other AC/DC wiring. The inverter is there, in my case a Xantrex pro sw 2000, and your AC connects will either be wired directly to the inverter or in some cases a transfer switch. My inverter has 2 standard looking GFCI outlets, so its literally just plugged into 1 of them.
nottherealfloridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #10

You could run an extension cord to the TV's outlet to use the inverter to power something like a laptop, that is what I do although I have a more powerful inverter to install whenever time allows me to do so. ~CA
Old 05-11-2021, 07:03 PM   #11

If you are wanting to charge USB devices it is far more efficient to use a USB charger that plugs into a power outlet. With that you would be simply dropping 12 volts down to 5. With an inverter you would be converting 12 volts to 120 and then back down to 5.

I have a multi-tap USB block that plugs into the power outlet (previously called cigarette lighter). Works great! I also sometimes charge my phone from a power brick.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
If you are wanting to charge USB devices it is far more efficient to use a USB charger that plugs into a power outlet. With that you would be simply dropping 12 volts down to 5. With an inverter you would be converting 12 volts to 120 and then back down to 5.

I have a multi-tap USB block that plugs into the power outlet (previously called cigarette lighter). Works great! I also sometimes charge my phone from a power brick.
x2 Get a cigarette lighter USB plug! There is a lot of energy being lost by taking a 12v power source (from the house battery) up to 120VAC in the inverter, just to send it through a transformer to bring it back down to 12 or 5v for a device charger.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
x2 Get a cigarette lighter USB plug! There is a lot of energy being lost by taking a 12v power source (from the house battery) up to 120VAC in the inverter, just to send it through a transformer to bring it back down to 12 or 5v for a device charger.

Ah - I never thought about the conversion loss! Thank you!
I do use the 120V USB receptacles, just because they're convenient.