Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #11

Even if you don't want to drive with your propane on, most likely your fridge will remain cold for several hours of traveling. If the temps outside are very high, you will want to either run your propane or run your generator to keep the fridge cold. I always use the propane.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgermane View Post
Also have a 2012 Greyhawk. As stated above, the inverter only provides 120 to the outlet behind the TV. Unless you have disabled the relay, the outlet will lose power as soon as you start the engine to your Greyhawk. It's a safety feature so the driver isn't watching TV going down the road. It can be disabled, and there are a number of threads on this forum that discuss how. As far as your other outlets, the generator needs to be running for those to be energized. The fridge can run off of 12volt and propane, so the generator does not need to be on to keep things cool. I always leave the propane on. Never had an issue.
My fridge doesn't run off house battery. I think that might be due to an inverter issue.

Is there an additional fire hazard driving with propane on (in the event of a car accident)?

The inverter model is xantrex 1000. Sorry for the delayed responses. AT&T is terrible in this area of the country.

Again, thanks for the responses!

sgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilbert View Post
My fridge doesn't run off house battery. I think that might be due to an inverter issue.

Is there an additional fire hazard driving with propane on (in the event of a car accident)?
The inverter has nothing to do with the fridge. Your inverter is fine it only operates the TV. The fridge needs either shore power or LP to operate and both require 12 volt for the control circuit.

I've been towing/driving the MH since 1977 with the fridge on propane with no issues and then back on shore power when we park.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #14

As Grumpy said, the fridge needs either shore power and 12v, or propane and 12v. Does the control panel light up or the light inside the fridge come on?
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgermane View Post
As Grumpy said, the fridge needs either shore power and 12v, or propane and 12v. Does the control panel light up or the light inside the fridge come on?
Control panel on fridge is lit up. Not sure about the light in the fridge (it's late and I'm on shore power right now). Will look into that tomorrow. I know for sure now that the outlet behind the main tv doesn't work without shore power or generator though, which is not the case with bgermane's 2012 greyhawk.
sgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:21 AM   #16

Sgilbert, check you pm.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #17

After a night of heavy drinking and little sleep, the Jayco design team set it up so that there is ONLY ONE outlet powered by the 1,000 watt inverter in the entire coach. They also made sure that you can't use it to power a crock-pot, coffee maker, laptop charger, etc., while the engine on. Clever!

Fortunately, that was an easy fix. Clip a wire, make the outlet a 4-way, plug in an extension cord, and by golly we're running the crock-pot while on the road!

We leave the fridge in "Auto" mode all the time, so we don't have to worry about. It only gets turned off while fueling, or going through propane restricted areas.

Happy and Safe camping!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #18
Site Team

Do you know the output of the inverter that you can use?

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
After a night of heavy drinking and little sleep, the Jayco design team set it up so that there is ONLY ONE outlet powered by the 1,000 watt inverter in the entire coach.
Happy and Safe camping!
Specs call for a 400 watt inverter? The 1,000 watt requires two "house" batteries to operate efficiently and I think the Greyhawk only has 1 for the "house".
Old 07-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #20

Hiya Grumpy... I asked about that at the factory, and they told me that all the Jayco Class C's have the same 1,000 watt inverter. In the units with one battery, they call it a 400 watt, but it's still the same 1,000 watt inverter. Interesting logic... lol

2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote