Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #1

Inverter-on or off?

With my generator running and powering the A/Cs I noticed that the outlets hooked to the inverter, TVs and microwave, was not working. When I push the power button on the control panel for the inverter the outlets are powered. All other outlets are operating normally.

Shouldn't all outlets operate on AC power when connected or on generator. Do I need the inverter on or am I missing something here?

Thanks, Mark
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #2

You shouldn't need the inverter when on shore power or geny. Have you checked your breakers? Inverter has it's own main (sorta)..
Old 07-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #3

What Grumpy said...........
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

So please help me think this through. The breaker on the inverter is not tripped. It appears that the circuits connected to the inverter are connected only to the inverter and not the generator or shore power.

The transfer switch appears to be working when I switch from generator to shore power or vis a versa. So what you are telling me is that the inverter control on the main panel should have no effect when on AC power? And for the time being, is there a downside to leaving the inverter on while on power?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #5

There should be a breaker in your regular panel that is for the inverter. Only downside is converter may not keep up with the inverter load and you will kill your house batteries.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #6

My 2014 Seneca has a separate small breaker panel for the inverter-supplied outlets. My Xantrex inverter has its own small transfer switch that decides whether to send inverter power or shoreline/generator power to those dedicated outlets. If shoreline/generator power IS available, that inverter transfer switch defaults to shoreline/generator power even if the inverter switch is turned on. My inverter display will only show minimal power consumption, probably just what it takes to make 110-volts AC internally even though it is not being utilized by the system.

In my main "power distribution" box (110-volt breakers, 12-volt fuses, and converter) I have a 15-amp breaker that supplies shoreline/generator power to the inverter transfer switch. If I turn that "off" with the inverter turned on, the connected devices (microwave, front, and bedroom TVs) will work, supplied at that point by inverter power. The inverter display changes and immediately starts showing battery amps being drawn. So like Grumpy said, if that main panel breaker is off or bad, you will not get shoreline/generator power to the inverter transfer switch for it to "see" so it could default to that source. Also, it is possible the inverter transfer switch itself may be bad or miswired, causing it to not default to shoreline/generator power even though it might be present. I also agree with Grumpy in that those circuits running strictly on the inverter (especially using the convection microwave), you may overtax the batteries and converter trying to keep the batteries up.

If my inverter breaker was off or bad, or the transfer switch was not switching, I suspect I would have symptoms like you. But I preface all this on my 2014's wiring. They may have somehow changed the layout and components on your new unit. But I think Grumpy's and my theories are correct, just need some troubleshooting to determine the cause. I wish I could have 15 minutes with your unit!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
My 2014 Seneca has a separate small breaker panel for the inverter-supplied outlets.
My Xantrex inverter has its own small transfer switch that decides whether to send inverter power or shoreline/generator power to those dedicated outlets.
That's how my 08 was too only the inverter breakers were on a separate buss inside the the regular breaker panel.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:13 AM   #8

I checked all breakers and none were tripped. It seems like my inverter transfer switch is not recognizing when it is receiving ac power.

Is the transfer switch something I can access and check?
Old 07-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #9

Quote:
I wish I could have 15 minutes with your unit!
I wish I could grant that wish Rob. There are so many cool mods you have done and would love to have you mentor me on RV 101 and 102. I may need to coax you to come to Florida when you are buried in snow this winter.

We leave are leaving for three months a week from Thursday and I am scrambling to get every conceivable thing done. Adding to this is the brutally ridiculous heat down here. I am dripping before I make it to the RV.

On a positive note, the RV house is almost done and will be inhabitable on our return. That will make it much more pleasant to work on in the shade.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3946.jpg  
Old 07-16-2017, 05:39 AM   #10

I am going to tell you that my head is spinning from reading all the manuals. According to the manual, the inverter operates in "pass through" mode when connected to shore power or the gen. This is working well for me since I exclusively dry camp. There are however multiple settings that can be adjusted, which I did not look at any further. I am thinking you need to leave inverter on, and perhaps one of those settings has been changed and needs changed back.

Nice Seneca house!!
Old 07-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I checked all breakers and none were tripped. It seems like my inverter transfer switch is not recognizing when it is receiving ac power.

Is the transfer switch something I can access and check?
On my Xantrex inverter (yours may be a different kind) the transfer switch is factory-equipped and internal to the unit when ordered that way. Otherwise, if not factory-equipped with a transfer switch it has only an AC outlet on the end to plug in the connected "load". You can see in my attached picture I have two (yellow) Romex AC lines entering my inverter, one is the AC supply from my "main" breaker panel ("line") and the other is the AC "load" going to the second (small) breaker panel to feed the microwave and the front and rear TVs.

The troubleshooting I could do if experiencing your issue would be to disconnect the two AC connections you see in my picture and metering them. On my unit one wire is labeled "load", the other wire "line". The wire labeled "line" will have AC voltage on the end coming from the coach when connected to shore power with the main panel "inverter" breaker on. The other wire labeled "load" will have AC available on the inverter end when the inverter is switched on. Since you have power to your circuits when your inverter is on that part is good. What you need to know is whether you are getting shoreline/generator AC to the "line" side of your inverter.

If you are indeed getting shoreline power into your inverter, there likely is a problem with the transfer switch or the power line connections at the inverter yourself. If no AC voltage is present coming into the inverter, you likely have a bad breaker or connection feeding that circuit. You may be able to remove the cover on the inverter where the wires enter to verify the wires are properly connected. Do so with the shoreline power disconnected and the house batteries also disconnected so there is no chance of AC power being present.

As a firefighter yourself I don't need to caution you on the dangers of AC shocks. But for any others monitoring this thread - if you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable working with AC power realize it can easily kill you. Engage a qualified technician or electrician to troubleshoot AC issues since diagnosing problems frequently requires the circuits to be energized for testing. So endeth my sermon!

The RV house looks like it will be great, will have to look into a Florida visit in the future!
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter AC wiring.jpg  
Old 07-16-2017, 07:13 AM   #12

Quote:
I checked all breakers and none were tripped.
Did you turn them off and on? They can trip and not look like they did.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #13

I have 110V going into inverter. Coming out I had 110 with inverter turned on and 0 V with inverter off. The output is labeled "pure sign wave output"'.

The breaker on the inside breaker panel does kill the outlets on inverter circuit when turned off.

So I am thinking internal transfer switch is not working. I will call the company in the morning.

Thanks for walking me through this.

PS... Rob. We have a great county park campground (Markham Park, Broward County) 5 minutes from the house. I can even arrange a ride along for you with MDFR. Just think Florida sunshine in winter and we can get all my mods done. Just need to make reservations soon
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3947.jpg  
Old 07-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #14

Your inverter is indeed different and the 110-volt AC connections appear inaccessible and original from the factory, unlike mine where the Romex enters my inverter and has screw-down connection points inside the cover. Too bad, it probably is not field-repairable.

We tried!

Will talk to DW about a Florida visit, she may be very much in favor of a winter trip!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #15

After speaking to a very helpful tech at Magnum-Dimensions, we were able to change modes on the inverter. The issue I was having was it was in the mode that allows you to kill power to the circuit by pressing the power button. I cannot think of a time I would need that but still.

It is now in the automatic mode where the power button doesn't change anything and you can tell which power source is being used by the color of the status light.

Thanks for the help yesterday.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #16

Glad it was easy to resolve. Your experience, while frustrating, may help someone else with a similar inverter. That is what is great about this forum, mostly helping other owners and not much bashing!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
I wish I could grant that wish Rob. There are so many cool mods you have done and would love to have you mentor me on RV 101 and 102. I may need to coax you to come to Florida when you are buried in snow this winter.

We leave are leaving for three months a week from Thursday and I am scrambling to get every conceivable thing done. Adding to this is the brutally ridiculous heat down here. I am dripping before I make it to the RV.

On a positive note, the RV house is almost done and will be inhabitable on our return. That will make it much more pleasant to work on in the shade.
That's a great looking RV-House! I just finished mine. We made it big enough for the in-laws and, hopefully some room for a few others.
Attached Thumbnails
0522172014a.jpg  
Old 07-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
That's a great looking RV-House! I just finished mine. We made it big enough for the in-laws and, hopefully some room for a few others.
OHHHH MY! I want one of these too... VERY nice.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Glad it was easy to resolve. Your experience, while frustrating, may help someone else with a similar inverter. That is what is great about this forum, mostly helping other owners and not much bashing!
Thanks Rob. Yes, this forum is an incredible asset.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Your inverter is indeed different and the 110-volt AC connections appear inaccessible and original from the factory, unlike mine where the Romex enters my inverter and has screw-down connection points inside the cover. Too bad, it probably is not field-repairable.

We tried!

Will talk to DW about a Florida visit, she may be very much in favor of a winter trip!
We are planning to be in the Tampa Bay area for Christmas / New-Years... and then heading up the eastern coastal states in January...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote