Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #1

Inverter power

The inverter I have is an XM1000 and when we are not on shore power the house battery doesn't seem to hold power all that long. The battery is only abot 4 months old, I had the battery tested and it passed.

Can I add maybe 2 more batteries in the storage compartment next to the house battery that would allow more before battery power goes down?
lefty1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

The quick answer is yes, more batteries will provide more time (usage) before the batteries run down. The challenging question is whether or not that storage compartment is strong enough to hold the weight of two batteries. You may have to add some reinforcement to the compartment. ~CA
Old 01-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #3

The batteries that come stock with campers are pretty horrible even when brand new. I would replace what you currently have before adding anything in additional.

Adding new higher quality (expensive) batteries in parallel to your existing crappy one is probably not the best choice. The inverter isn't the problem either. Once you have a *good* house battery to start with, you can better assess your overall needs.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:19 PM   #4

If you have room for just 2 batteries, consider putting in 2 new 6 volt batteries wired in series. This will give you the required 12 volts and will greatly improve your capacity.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty1121 View Post
The inverter I have is an XM1000 and when we are not on shore power the house battery doesn't seem to hold power all that long. The battery is only abot 4 months old, I had the battery tested and it passed.
The question I would ask first is what are you using the inverter for. You said you use it when not connected to shore power. If you are powering in on continuously, yes your battery will not last very long. Inverters eat up a battery's capacity pretty quickly.

I have 2 12 volt batteries in my rig and use the inverter to run my Direct TV setup. I have a voltage monitor that I watch and can see the battery voltage dropping as I use my 1000 watt inverter. I can run a good 4 hours before the voltage gets close to where I want to do a recharge.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #6

Personally I think this subject is interesting. I started a thread that's still up near the top of the thread list, I NEED ADVICE....INVERTER. There is a LOT of excellent information in that thread. At least two of our members that responded to your question contributed to my thread. Give it a look. The subject is not complicated but does have a lot of moving pieces. Moving pieces as in, component D affects component B but not components LMNO or P. In the end I think going to the trouble to learn the subject and doing the install is well worth the effort. Convenience is hugely increased at a reasonable price.

Best
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote