Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #1

Inverter switch

Ok this might be a dumb question.... when should I use this switch and why should I use it. When we bought our Jayco Greyhawk the guy had only been there for 3 weeks and had no clue. Figured I would find out on my own and what better way than to post here.. thank you in advanced btw....
Attached Thumbnails
D005750E-4FA1-4874-BB90-C891DE928D3A.jpg  
gwbillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #2

Investigate what 120 volt items/receptacles the inverter supplies power to. On my Greyhawk, it's only the receptacles the televisions plug into.
Turn on the inverter if you want to supply power to these receptacles when you're not connected to shore power.

The inverter runs off the house battery, so monitor the battery charge level.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:57 PM   #3

Could I use that when travel in theory instead of running the generator? Does that battery get charged when the RV is running on engine. I know it gets charged via shore power correct?
Old 08-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #4

Can you leave it on stand by, that's what I do in the Seneca.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #5

If you are running on battery (dry camping) or parked and not in or using the equipment it is a good idea to not have the inverter on.

In addition to any parasitic users like phone chargers and similar things plugged into the inverter powered outlets the unit uses a small amount of amps to keep itself on. I looked at a few and they are between 1/4 and 1/2 amp an hour. That will really burn through the battery if you leave it on all the time.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
Can you leave it on stand by, that's what I do in the Seneca.
It looks like it is just on or off so I’m not sure about it being able to be in a stand by mode
Old 08-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
If you are running on battery (dry camping) or parked and not in or using the equipment it is a good idea to not have the inverter on.

In addition to any parasitic users like phone chargers and similar things plugged into the inverter powered outlets the unit uses a small amount of amps to keep itself on. I looked at a few and they are between 1/4 and 1/2 amp an hour. That will really burn through the battery if you leave it on all the time.
So if dry camping why not use the generator? Not being smart , just trying to understand when and why I would use it. The dealer should have explained this to me. I understand what the inverter does btw... converts 12v to 110v correct so you can use the wall plugs
Old 08-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #8

The inverter in my Greyhawk supplies power to the TV outlet up front plus the bedroom TV outlet. Yes it is perfectly fine to use while driving. The front outlet has an extra wire going to it that prevents the outlet from powering up while the engine is running. You have to cut this wire to allow it to operate. This is documented elsewhere on the forum.

You can use the inverter while dry camping but it does pull the battery voltage down after awhile. Keep an eye on the battery level and make sure to fire up the genny before it gets too low. It will take a few hours to charge back up.

I have a couple of solar panels so can use the inverter during the day for watching TV. Then I will use a generator to top off the batteries before evening if needed. Some sites I camp at have quiet hours that prohibit generators after 8 or 9 at night so I top the batteries before then.

I ALWAYS shut down my inverter when not being used. I have a voltage/current monitor that shows a few extra amps being pulled when the inverter is powered on even though the TVs are turned off. You will drain your battery if you leave the inverter on even though you are not using it.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #9

First thing is to find out what outlets it powers. Do you have a residential fridge? So most inverters are pass through. If 120 volt AC is present it will pass through the inverter to whatever outlets it powers. With no 120 volt present it powers those same wired outlets but now you are drawing down your coach batteries. Not a big deal if you are driving since the alternator will keep the charge up. The issue is dry camping and battery usage.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #10

Our inverter is a 1000w unit and will power the two outlets in the bedroom (one on each side of the bed) as well as the outlet up front for the TV (yes, I have modified that outlet so it is powered with ignition on). What I didn't realize is that we leave our CPAP machines plugged in in the bedroom all the time, so that's extra "parasitic" draw on the batteries. If the engine is running it's no big deal as the alternator will keep the batteries charged. But now I have to be more careful running it when the engine isn't running.

Typically it's not a problem for us because we primarily use it to run the TV and DVD player to keep my son entertained on long journeys. And often we're running the generator in transit to keep the coach cool (we travel in some pretty serious heat). But DW often forgets to turn it off, so I could see it becoming a problem... I make it a point to keep it off except when needed.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #11

camper Bob, have you done any modifications to your generator to keep it running in extreme heat? mine vapor locks around 90.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1152 View Post
camper Bob, have you done any modifications to your generator to keep it running in extreme heat? mine vapor locks around 90.
No modifications. The only thing I had to do was remove the wired on documentation that came with my unit because it was blocking a vent. It lives in the driver door pocket for now but eventually I will put it in with all my other manuals and documentation.

Since I "fixed" that, I've had no problems, even with ambient temperatures well over 100 degrees.

But here are some things I've read that people do:

1) If there is no vent in the compartment door, put one in. It's not terribly difficult, but you must be somewhat handy and willing to cut into a perfectly good door that will be somewhat expensive to replace if you mess it up. Jayco uses expanded metal grating installed in a riveted frame in the door for this. This is something DW would not tolerate, so I would have to do it without her knowledge. Mine came with a vented door from the factory.

2) Upgrade the fuel pump. From what I understand, the OEM Cummins fuel pump on these units is finicky to heat. People have replaced it and/or moved it so it sees less heat.

3) Re-route fuel lines; get them away from any and all heat sources.

One user here even cut a hole into the front side of the compartment through to the front cap next to the driver's door and installed a sleeve and vent cover so that underway the generator gets a blast of air.

Some of this depends on where the generator is on your unit. Mine is right behind the driver's seat in the very first compartment.

Vapor locking at 90 degrees would be a total deal-breaker for me because of the temperatures we use our rig in. If the RV dealer couldn't/wouldn't fix it, I would try an authorized Cummins Onan shop. If not them, I would go at it myself doing all the things I mentioned above.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:22 PM   #13

I am buying a 2017 Jayco Seneca and I had an RV inspector look at it today. He said he could not find an Inverter let alone the switch. I looked and every Jayco Seneca Has one Where is the switch? Thanks Scott
Scott townley is offline   Reply With Quote