Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2022, 11:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
@Spower, yes if the inverter has its own plugs that you plug the 120v devices into. However if you route all electricity through the inverter from the shore plug (i.e. like the Victron or some Xantrex models allow due to built in transfer switches) you end up creating a loop even if you just flip the breaker off. This is due to how AC power works, too much to explain here but do some youtube searches on AC power and grounds/commons and hot wires. Pretty interesting if you like to learn about this sort of thing.

The only way around this, if using an inverter with transfer switch, is for that inverter to also have a charger and the converter just be unwired. Or to wire the converter before the inverter, meaning creating a Y from the shore plug one end going to the inverter input and the other to a new breaker (totally separate from the power center buss bar) and then wire the converter into this breaker. This separates the two 120v areas.
Ok, now even more confused.....I have talked to some people and was told I could wire my 2000w inverter (no transfer switch) right to the batteries, with a fuse on positive between inverter and batts, then turn off RV converter, then plug my (shore) power cord into the 2000w inverter (with pigtail - 50A to 15/20A) and I'm good to go.

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:32 AM   #22

Just to be clear, you cannot go directly into an inverter with shore power (on AC input side) without a built in transfer switch. At least not without causing a fire or frying something bad.

You can take the inverter, and I think this is what you are saying, hook up to batteries (with fuse) and then AC output as a cable/plug that can plug into your shore power on the outside of the trailer. This will work fine, and yes turn off the converter.

This is more complex than what you were mentioning but shows where and how a transfer switch is used. (sometimes this can be built into the inverter to simplify wiring)

This is one of the easiest to understand diagrams I have found.
https://i.imgur.com/9lcn6Lr.png

It is from this thread, https://diysolarforum.com/threads/wh...s-right.20224/
Old 04-11-2022, 12:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post

You can take the inverter, and I think this is what you are saying, hook up to batteries (with fuse) and then AC output as a cable/plug that can plug into your shore power on the outside of the trailer. This will work fine, and yes turn off the converter.

[/url]

This is all I am looking to do! 🙂
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #24

Yes, very good diagram!
Old 04-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #25

What happens if I take out the positive side of the line from the converter/charger to the battery when I have the shore power plugged into the inverter (wired from the same battery)? So power will still go to the converter/charger, but the positive wire from converter charger to the battery is interrupted.
Barham56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #26

Tom: Just wondering on how replacement mattress worked out?
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote