Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2022, 09:01 AM   #1

Red face Inverter wiring

I want to wire an inverter so that all of my current ac plugs have inverted power when boon-docking. I have 200AHr lithium battery, 4000 watt on board generator with transfer switch (see pictures) and I have a new converter to charge the Lithium battery properly. I am wondering how to properly add a 2000watt pure sine inverter to this system to activate all of my ac outlets when not on shore power.

2001 Jayco Class C Designer 3150s

Thanks for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
20220331_135156_HDR.jpg   20220331_135308.jpg   20220331_135336.jpg  
Barham56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:42 AM   #2

Inverter wiring

You will need to add another 30amp transfer switch similar to the one you have.

Renogy and GoPower both have the transfer switch’s and schematics to wire it all. I’m sure others will suggest other sources, but this will get you started.

Have you purchased the inverter yet?
Do you currently have a 30amp shore power setup or a 50amp?
Any solar panels yet?
Old 04-01-2022, 12:49 PM   #3

No solar panels and I am not planning on them as long as I have the generator installed. I am looking at two inverters.

https://www.aimscorp.net/2000-pure-s...standards.html This one ($426 @ amazon) has a transfer switch built in.

https://www.renogy.com/2000w-12v-pure-sine-wave-inverter/ This one ($270 @amazon) is probably better quality but has no transfer switch.
Barham56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barham56 View Post
No solar panels and I am not planning on them as long as I have the generator installed. I am looking at two inverters.

https://www.aimscorp.net/2000-pure-s...standards.html This one ($426 @ amazon) has a transfer switch built in.
But using that built in TS means you would have to reduce the entire coach down to 20 amp service since the shore power feed would be going through it to the panel.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But using that built in TS means you would have to reduce the entire coach down to 20 amp service since the shore power feed would be going through it to the panel.
Not necessarily. OP indicated that they wanted to power all of the current AC receptacles from the inverter. In any case, its a good idea to separate AC receptacles from the high power appliances so that the appliances can't be inadvertently powered from the inverter.

If all the AC receptacles are on a single circuit, then just that circuit needs to be routed through the transfer switch in the inverter. The problem the OP is likely to run into is that the receptacles probably run in at least two circuits, and may require installing a second breaker panel downstream from the inverter transfer switch.

2018 Greyhawk 29MV
dc_mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:46 AM   #6

I believe what he was saying is that the AIMS is limited to 25amps, its listed in the specs.

I would recommend spending a little more money on a better inverter with a better transfer switch built in. There is the Xantrex Freedom X 2000 (no charger but has 30amp switch), if you watch you can find them on sale "used like new" on Amazon at half price. Renogy also makes one but it has a charger. Both are well under $1000 and only a little more than the ones linked to above.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:57 AM   #7

Make sure you have a way to switch between shore power and inverter power. That inverter will only pass through 16.6 amps even though it claims to have 30 amp pass through. The internal breaker will trip over 16 amps or 2000 watts however you want to look at it. Shore power to the switch and inverter output to the switch then just select which source to use. You can power your whole panel as long as you understand how to manage the power.
Bakedalaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:21 AM   #8

@Bakedalaskan, which inverter are you talking about?
Old 04-03-2022, 09:42 AM   #9

I think I figured out what you were talking about. Yes the Xantrex will trip on inverter mode at 16.5amps (limitation of 2000w). But the passthrough is a true 30amp. It shouldn't trip right away however as it does allow for a short surge of up to 4000w. For most things on the inverter you wouldn't have any issue, even with a AC that has a softstart. Just cant run multiple large things at once.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #10

I went the easy way. I plugged a 20 amp extention cord into the inverter and ran it outside along the camper and put on a plug to to plug into the power inlet on the trailer. Works great and when I’m done I roll it up and store it.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:25 PM   #11

I have a 2000 watt AIMS psw. Mine will not pass through 30 amps of shore power regardless of what the manufacturer claims. It will trip as soon as you load it up past 2000 watts. I am only posting to have you avoid the situation I had with my install. I did a nice custom install but have to dismantle the kitchen to reset the breaker and what a headache that turns out to be. Test the inverter first connected to shore power and see what it can do before you make a permanent install.
Bakedalaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #12

I installed 3 DPST toggle switches in the side of my electric panel. I can turn on one or all 3. That way no matter what my converter, water heater 110 element, and AC are never connected to the inverter. It works very well. One is for the microwave and the other 2 are the 2 outlet circuits. One of which runs the fridge. I have a heavy cable to the back of the truck from the battery with a plug then to the trailer batteries. It keeps up with the inverter to run the fridge while driving.
Duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaxsky View Post
I installed 3 DPST toggle switches in the side of my electric panel. I can turn on one or all 3. That way no matter what my converter, water heater 110 element, and AC are never connected to the inverter. It works very well. One is for the microwave and the other 2 are the 2 outlet circuits. One of which runs the fridge. I have a heavy cable to the back of the truck from the battery with a plug then to the trailer batteries. It keeps up with the inverter to run the fridge while driving.
Basically, you've created manual transfer switches (but I think you meant SPDT). Your modification is similar to panels that you can purchase to tie a generator into several house circuits. On those panels, each SPDT switch allows the homeowner to select either the generator or the utility to supply power to each circuit, one by one. For an example of a home generator transfer panel, see 31410CRK Pro/Tran - Reliance Controls Corporation)

In your case, you get to choose between the shore/generator or the inverter. Very handy.

My only concern in this case would be to ensure that you still have proper over current protection in each of the circuits when they are sourcing power from the inverter. When the rated output of the inverter is larger than the current carrying capacity of any of the connected circuits, then there must be a secondary breaker or fuse in the current path from the inverter to the circuit.

I don't want to second guess your installation, as there are many ways to provide the necessary over current protection. But I do want to raise the question for anyone that sees your post and duplicates your method.

2018 Greyhawk 29MV
dc_mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:48 PM   #14

No they are Double Position Single Terminal switches. They feed from the breaker being bypassed on one side and the inverter on the other. The center post goes to the load. The inverter has a 20 amp breaker same as the panel. So everything is protected either way.
Duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaxsky View Post
No they are Double Position Single Terminal switches. They feed from the breaker being bypassed on one side and the inverter on the other. The center post goes to the load. The inverter has a 20 amp breaker same as the panel. So everything is protected either way.
You can do the same thing with a 3 way switch.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:45 AM   #16

I used a Victron Multiplus that is a charger and inverter. You install it behind the existing transfer switch and all your system is behind your inverter (if you want, or there's a direct circuit for high power users like air conditioners and microwaves.) It's another approach although it looks like you're well along in your efforts.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #17

Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barham56 View Post
I want to wire an inverter so that all of my current ac plugs have inverted power when boon-docking. I have 200AHr lithium battery, 4000 watt on board generator with transfer switch (see pictures) and I have a new converter to charge the Lithium battery properly. I am wondering how to properly add a 2000watt pure sine inverter to this system to activate all of my ac outlets when not on shore power.

2001 Jayco Class C Designer 3150s

Thanks for your input!
Not real fancy I cut off one end of an out door extension cord, attached to inverter. Ran cord to rear of camper. Ran plug through hole for rear tail lite. I only use that plug for my TV. Seems to work fine.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:02 PM   #18

Inverter wiring

I ran a romex cable from my inverter (which is next to my battery bank) to the rear of my 27’ trailer. On the inverter end I wired in a electrical plug and on the rear trailer end I wired in a 30 amp receptacle. I bought a 2 foot 30 amp plug and when I boondock I simply plug the rv into the inverter plug at the end of the trailer. No crossover possible.
Rick
Rfidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:12 AM   #19

I'm confused.....can't you use an inverter without the transfer switch and just turn the RV converter off while not connected to shore power?

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:52 AM   #20

@Spower, yes if the inverter has its own plugs that you plug the 120v devices into. However if you route all electricity through the inverter from the shore plug (i.e. like the Victron or some Xantrex models allow due to built in transfer switches) you end up creating a loop even if you just flip the breaker off. This is due to how AC power works, too much to explain here but do some youtube searches on AC power and grounds/commons and hot wires. Pretty interesting if you like to learn about this sort of thing.

The only way around this, if using an inverter with transfer switch, is for that inverter to also have a charger and the converter just be unwired. Or to wire the converter before the inverter, meaning creating a Y from the shore plug one end going to the inverter input and the other to a new breaker (totally separate from the power center buss bar) and then wire the converter into this breaker. This separates the two 120v areas.