Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #1

inverter working or not ?

We just purchased a 2017 Jayco 29 Greyhawk class C. I can't find any outlets that work when I turn on inverter toggle switch at control. I hear something turn on coming from under bed in bedroom. Where is the inverter and how can I tell if its working, Thanks for any help
gmenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:47 PM   #2

Only outlet would probably be the TV's and maybe an outlet near the bed for a CPAP, but that's it.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #3

My 2017 Greyhawk's inverter only powers the front TV and bedroom TV. It will only power the front TV when the ignition is turned off. There is a safety relay in the outlet box that many of us have disabled so the TV could be used while driving. BUT, not for the driver to view please.

The inverter is indeed under the bed and will beep when you turn the switch on or off. BUT, that doesn't mean it is outputting voltage. On multiple occasions I have had the GFCI trip on the inverter which prevents output. You simply have to press the reset button on the inverter to fix it.

The reason my GFCI would trip was because I had the inverter powered up while starting or stopping the generator. For some reason this spiked the inverter causing the GFCI to trip. This may have happed if I did the same thing with shore power. The solution is to shut off the inverter before firing up any other source of 120 volt power. Solved my problem 100% of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:24 AM   #4

Thank you Jim, for responding. I cannot find location of inverter. Do I have to remove wood bed support from under mattress ? I checked the plugs for tvs but still not working. I'm thinking that the GFCI tripped on the inverter itself ?
Old 06-13-2021, 09:18 AM   #5

Yep, you have to unscrew the wood under the end of the bed. What a wonderful way they did that! I ended up putting a piano hinge on the wood so it just lifts up easily. I even added a shelf inside just above all the wiring to give me more storage.

The inverter in my picture is the large silver looking assembly at the top center of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Under Bed Wiring 3.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #6

JimD, Thank you so very much. I took off the wood board and sure enough the inverter needed to be reset. Now the outlets for TV's work. Thanks Again !!

Tags
inverter