Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #21

We're not "social campers" by any stretch.

But we're also polite. To me, if another person smiles/waves/says hello in the camp ground, I'll return the salutation or greeting. I was raised that way, I think it's the polite thing to do. In most if not all cases, I'm not going to walk up to another person and strike up a conversation. But if someone starts one with me, I'm perfectly willing to be amicable and polite. I'm not expecting to become life-long friends with them, but I do enjoy talking to other people and hearing their stories and experiences and learning what I can from them.

All of that being said, I try never to judge someone based on any of those interactions. I know that sometimes when I'm lost in thought, or when I'm concentrating on a particular task (and it doesn't necessarily have to be a difficult or unpleasant task) I have what my DW calls "RBF" (Resting B!#ch Face). For some reason, I generally have a scowl on my face. IDK why, it just is. And I also don't have the best hearing (DW calls it "selective hearing", and she's probably right!) So I'm sure that people have said hello to me and I didn't hear or see them, and I had my RBF on, and they thought to themselves "man, what an a$$".

I also know that sometimes I just really don't feel like interacting with any one. So when they smile and wave, I'll just give them a nod and go on about my business. I'm trying to send the message "I'm polite and acknowledging your salutation, but don't want to talk right now". This has nothing to do with THEM, and everything to do with ME.

So I try to remember that sometimes I'm not exactly a basket or roses either, and not judge others when whatever's happening in their life is causing them not to be a bright ray of sunshine. If I smile and wave at someone, and they scowl at me and turn away, I just go on about my business knowing I'm probably NOT going to be talking to them. No problem.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #22

We are seasonals at a fairly large campground in Eastern Wisconsin. I've noticed no real difference in people's friendliness this summer. If anything, they might actually be friendlier than in previous years. Of course the culture at this particular campground is one of friendliness and community. We've been to other campgrounds that were not like this at all, which is why we became seasonals here.
Wisco Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #23

Happy 🇨🇦, some parks are open. One of our old favs (not so much now under new owners) spent 5 days there they were only taking small groups or long stays with a space between each self contained unit. Some were new to camping and wanted to make sure they followed camping rules like good Canadians. Everyone kept their distance even in the groups and the park was quiet. We are just happy to be out there.
Happy newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:57 PM   #24
Say

We haven’t noticed a change, but then we’re not social campers. We are typically wanting to see new places and bask in nature, not people. Thus we usually go to state and county parks where campsites are a little larger and we can have our own patch land undisturbed. We’re by no means rude, but being introverts, we find fellow campers who stop by for small talk, truck talk, rig talk, etc., can be exhausting.
Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:08 PM   #25

Lot stress and we never know what’s going on with their family or extended family... job loss or expecting it... think 99% of us have concerns and anger at some of things going on to threaten future of the greatest country ever... anxiousness whether showing or not... we FT camp almost exclusively in National Forests/Parks so we haven’t been around lots of campers... most recently in Mississippi & Louisiana... trying when do interface with others to make effort to be kinder than past years ❤️❤️
4468461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #26

I enjoy having conversations with fellow campers even if it's 6 ft. Away or even just a wave. You already have something in common you both like to camp. How sad to think that is pointless. What has happened to this world.
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
I enjoy having conversations with fellow campers even if it's 6 ft. Away or even just a wave. You already have something in common you both like to camp. How sad to think that is pointless. What has happened to this world.

Well said.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:41 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
What has happened to this world.

One word: Politics.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #29

I agree Mark as we have encountered folks at three different parks lately who didn't have a clue about some of the workings of their rig. The tires on one guys rig who was complaining about excessive were underinflated by 25 PSI!
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #30

This one KOA we were at was friendly to a point. It did seem like people kept their distance. It was good at first but I am thinking people are friendly in nature but there was something while we were there. We left a day early because my husband I got into it but still. I would try to reach out to people and see if it might be just a newby thing. Who knows. Maybe its the purple hair? Eyebrows?
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We also have "pointless" friends that we met along the way. We see many of them often and consider most to be lifelong friends.

I have noticed many who are not interested in making friends and that's fine too!
Have you been out yet? We just spend the weekend at JICP. It was nice getting the camper out of the yard and actually use it.
ericloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #32

We have noticed quite of few of new RV owners in over the top rigs . Most are pretty nice but we have run into some with snobby attitudes to match. We just smile and wait for them to ask for help on setting up camp.
whackynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #33

I look forward to waving and saying hello to fellow campers when we go camping. Most times it's just that; wave, or a nod, and a quick hello with a smile that says, "It's great to see ya!" And if we're near enough, usually they're walking by (or visa versa), there might a little chit chat. And if they're not in a hurry, a little casual conversation.

There a handful of times, though, when eye contact is made, a wave is given with a courteous hello, but get totally blown off. It happens. No big deal; people can be preoccupied in thought or didn't hear/see ya. I watch for another opportunity to try again and more times than not, I get the reciprocal acknowledgement; other times get blown off again. Then it's like, "I feel for ya. Hope things are going okay in your world."

There was this one time I waved, said hello, three different times and still was ignored. Looked right at me, hesitated, and went about whatever she was doing. Oh well. And if she had asked for help with anything, I would've helped without reservation.

I have noticed what seems like younger folk coming in the CG with really nice trucks and really nice TT's or 5'rs. They seem to me they haven't gone through the progression of starting out small and working their way up. Most seem nice enough, though. But I get the sense of, "Whoa! Look at me and my shiny new rig!" Like there's a competition going on, or something. But I don't mean to judge; some people have a lot of money and to each his own. (Sure do like some of those trucks!)

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgissteele View Post

Snip....

I have noticed what seems like younger folk coming in the CG with really nice trucks and really nice TT's or 5'rs. They seem to me they haven't gone through the progression of starting out small and working their way up. Most seem nice enough, though. But I get the sense of, "Whoa! Look at me and my shiny new rig!" Like there's a competition going on, or something. But I don't mean to judge; some people have a lot of money and to each his own. (Sure do like some of those trucks!)
You're exactly right because (most) the younger generation is a bunch of me me's. It's all about me.
The competition thing is like who has the biggest (human anatomy part).
Part I love best is the one they don't tell you. HOW MUCH THEY OWE ON EVERYTHING! Most are so far in over their head they don't even realize it because all they see is today, they never look into tomorrow or into the future. BIG payments on their rigs and half way thru their payment time their equipment is broke down, beat up, pile of junk and per the used book it ain't worth half of what they owe on it by a long shot.

And yes, I like some of those trucks too. Mine is a 15, bought brand new and currently has just over 17k on it. Best part I like about it,... it's been paid off for nearly 3 years. Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:09 AM   #35
Site Team

ericloz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericloz View Post
Have you been out yet? We just spend the weekend at JICP. It was nice getting the camper out of the yard and actually use it.
Sorry, I missed your post. We were in Waynesville, NC for 3 weeks in July. It only our 2nd trip this year. We have another 3 weeks back up there in Oct.. I did notice your rig was missing when riding by. I'll try and stop if I see you outside.

We have a elderly MIL in Assisted living and the Covid Lockdown has put a crimp on our camping this season. Covid did not help it either. Maybe we will run into each other again as we camp out at JICP often.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:43 AM   #36

Like Norty1, we have my Mother in Assisted Living and has been in lock down. That is changing as I am planning to go see her. If they won't let me in after being checked and probed, they'll be telling the police why I can't got to the room I pay for.

Yes, our camping has been different this year. However, at the campgrounds the social life has not changed just distanced a little. Someone wants to be anti-social, I really don't have that burning desire to invade their privacy and they sure aren't going to ruin my day.

Have any type of day you want. Its totally up to you.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post

Have any type of day you want. Its totally up to you.

HA! Reminds me of George Carlin's take on that - on YouTube (rough language, surprise surprise...).
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #38

debt free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
You're exactly right because (most) the younger generation is a bunch of me me's. It's all about me.
The competition thing is like who has the biggest (human anatomy part).
Part I love best is the one they don't tell you. HOW MUCH THEY OWE ON EVERYTHING! Most are so far in over their head they don't even realize it because all they see is today, they never look into tomorrow or into the future. BIG payments on their rigs and half way thru their payment time their equipment is broke down, beat up, pile of junk and per the used book it ain't worth half of what they owe on it by a long shot.

And yes, I like some of those trucks too. Mine is a 15, bought brand new and currently has just over 17k on it. Best part I like about it,... it's been paid off for nearly 3 years. Lol!
We like seeing the fancy rigs who doesn't! but at the end of the day we toast each other saying Debt Free Baby! LOL As we all know Owning an RV is more than just hopping in and taking off. And we have learned through the years that some of the best advice come from fellow campers.
whackynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #39

as parents, are we teaching our kids what it means to be fiscally responsible? or do we leave that one up to the schools too?

It's a subject that our kids aren't fond of hearing; they'd rather talk about something else. But we talk about it. From what it takes to *own* a home (as opposed to buying a home) to investing now for their retirement.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
as parents, are we teaching our kids what it means to be fiscally responsible? or do we leave that one up to the schools too?

It's a subject that our kids aren't fond of hearing; they'd rather talk about something else. But we talk about it. From what it takes to *own* a home (as opposed to buying a home) to investing now for their retirement.
We're having the "financial" discussions with our 5 YO, and actually have been for a while now already. He doesn't understand quite yet the value of money, (he has a few hundred bucks in his own savings account where we put checks from grandma and stuff like that, the other day we told him the balance and he shouted "WOW! That means you guys don't have to work any more!!" We all got a good laugh out of that one) but he understands that we have to work to make money to buy things. He understands the concept of borrowing and subsequent repayment to some extent too, and he's starting to understand "interest" to some extent. He understands saving, and the concept that if he doesn't have enough money, he can't buy whatever it is he wants.

We also do a lot of our own work on our assets. I change the oil and do general routine maintenance on all our vehicles. We do much of our own installation or modification along with repairs and maintenance on the house. Each time we do those things, we have the discussion about the true "cost of ownership" of things. He complains sometimes that we have to clean/wash the RV or the boat, but he's beginning to understand that if we take care of our things, they'll last longer and cost less. It's part of owning and enjoying those things.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, it's yet to be seen), he's the only child of two CPAs, so he's going to get a financial education whether he wants one or not. Thankfully, his dad is the son of a mechanic, so he'll learn how to fix/maintain things as well. We weren't poor growing up, but we also got our hands dirty. And his mom is the daughter of two accountants, so like I said, he's getting a financial education too.

Sometimes I wonder if he'll be the exception within his peer group...?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote