Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #1

is it just me?

I don't have to tell anyone that this summer has changed with everything that's going on in the world. Were in a new campground this year in a seasonal site in northern Minnesota. I'd like you to know were full timers, if not in our Seneca a park model we own in Texas. So we live in an rv park all year. My question to you is this. Other than the fact we now need to plan way ahead if we want an rv site have you noticed a difference in people? We've now been in this park more than three weeks surrounded by seasonals and I can tell you the name of one work camper. This is the unfriendliest park I've ever been in. I can look right at someone wave and they just turn away. It's a newer park where some of the seasonals are weekenders, probably still working so this is a great place during the week. Maybe their just jealous I have the greatest rv made.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #2

I think there is a whole new “generation” of campers, people who have never camped before and bought RVs as to avoid COVID issues in hotels and airplanes.
We are headed out for three months on Sunday and expect we may to have educate some of the new folks. And with tensions running so high, I will dig deep to find my patience.

And now can you look at a Seneca and not be jealous?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #3

It’s not you. Folks are taking social distancing seriously and not socializing at all. Been out three times and it was the same everywhere. It’s not just rookies, the long time RV owners social distance as well. Folks don’t know anyone and don’t want to get someone else’s crud.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #4

I'm never social while camping anyway

I escape to escape, not make pointless friends

But that's me
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #5

I’m not a social camper either.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
RPR

These are strange times. Emotions people are feeling that affect how they act and sometimes they do not realize it. Uncertainty , stressful, scary, dangerous, struggle for political power and money, who can you trust, self survival, and for some jobless.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
I'm never social while camping anyway

I escape to escape, not make pointless friends

But that's me
We are leaving Florida Sunday to visit some “pointless friends“ in Texas, Utah, New Mexico and Colorado that we met on previous camping trips. Lol
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:09 PM   #8
Site Team

We also have "pointless" friends that we met along the way. We see many of them often and consider most to be lifelong friends.

I have noticed many who are not interested in making friends and that's fine too!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
We are leaving Florida Sunday to visit some “pointless friends“ in Texas, Utah, New Mexico and Colorado that we met on previous camping trips. Lol
You do you booooooo
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #10

We are at a State Park right now and the people don't seem any more friendly or unfriendly. I will say the clientele has definitely changed. We are seeing more "older" units that look like they've been dragged out of the back 40 where they've been sitting for the last 10 years and peoples vehicles seem like they are rode hard and put away wet. We used to see more on the newer scale of RV's and tow vehicles.

I will say when we were tent camping I was a little envious of people with nice campers and 5th wheels. People.seemed to be a little more friendly. We got our Montana 5th wheel and people would come over and chat. Then came the bigger 40' Sierra and not so much. Got a lot of looks and finger pointing but that was about it. Now we have the 44' Northpoint and I swear NOBODY says a word to us. I'll say hi to passers by and help out if they need help backing by my site, move my vehicle if needed, whatever. It seems like because I have this big, expensive trailer I've become some rich snob or something. All our friends we camp with I've told them if I become one of those snob people they are to slug me right in the face.
No broken nose yet. Lol!
Old 07-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #11

I think people may tend to interact more if they are the type who know their neighbors at home. I don't know a single neighbor on my block, although I did know a few a long time ago. Have lived here 40+ years. I must have practiced social distancing long before it was the proper thing to do.

When camping I am the same way. If I make eye contact with anyone I usually give a nod and a smile, maybe a short hello, and that is it. OK, I am a 70 year old fart and like to be left to myself. My wife is pretty much the same way. She likes me to leave her alone.

I must admit that I may talk to a young damsel in distress as I am always willing to offer my knowledge. My wife thinks I am a sexist pig. I agree! Just a nice old guy who enjoys the flirting, at a social distance of course. Anything closer would kill me. What a way to go.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:16 PM   #12

I really don't see much of a difference in the folks at the campgrounds I visit. I'm really not that much of a social camper but if someone has a question I'll do my best to answer, at a distance of course.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #13
Site Team

Likewise, the folks at the three campgrounds we've been to since early June have all been very friendly, some at a distance. I did have one neighbor that wanted help backing in, and ended up asking many questions, as it was only his third time camping with a new TT. He was sort of surprised at the helpful attitudes of fellow campers that weekend, and promised to pay it forward. He said he learned more than he expected to, about setting up a trailer. We hope to run into them again somewhere.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:03 AM   #14

Just like all aspects of life, you meet many different people, some nice some not so nice, add in this COVID-19 pandemic and it makes people nervous,scared and apprehensive. Not knowing what to say or how "close" to get. I have had all my trips cancelled so far this year here in Canada, but there is hope on the horizon for some campgrounds to open next weekend. Hoping when we are able to get out we meet many great people. With the border still closed, we will not be visiting our neighbors to the south this year, hope to get there next year. Stay safe and happy campimg.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #15

The wife and I are not social animals. We exchange pleasantries and are always friendly. We have had a few short conversations around a campfire or answered and asked questions about each others rig but we have yet to make any friends lifelong or pointless. Being in sales I have a pretty good read on people and know if they are open to a conversation after pleasantries or not and find most people we encounter are not. I am always happy to answer questions if asked and carry on a conversation if welcomed but normally keep to myself, smile and enjoy my stay. I do have lifelong friends that also own campers but we have yet to camp together. We like doing our own thing and don't want plan our weekend around what others want to do so we avoid the conversation of planning a trip together. Mainly because they can go all trip just staying in camp. We have done that too but we like jumping in the toad and trying the local restaurants and attractions.
The wife and I enjoy each others company and always have had a good trip whether we talk to another person or not.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron;871268.
It seems like because I have this big, expensive trailer I've become some rich snob or something.

First, the disclaimer... I'm not saying that this applies to you, in fact, I'm sure it doesn't

However... it's sad, but true, that some of the folks in big expensive units, don't have the background of tents, then popups, then a progression of smaller units... and the experience that comes along with it.

Increasingly, people are buying straight into the top end of the market and, unfortunately... well, some of them do behave like rich snobs. I think you may be getting "tarred with the same brush", by people who don't know you.

I believe that, for most of us, the "formative years" give us an appreciation of our fellow campers. Me, I'm not proud, I'll talk to anyone, and most of them are happy to stop and chat. But a few regard you with deep suspicion if you wish them a "Good morning". I suspect that may be a problem with the times we live in, more than anything.
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #17

Camping is an introvert sport. There are actually survey's that have been done over the years past that unanimously support that fact.

One such: https://www.rvtravel.com/are-rvers-i...rvey-says-yes/

That doesn't mean that socializing doesn't happen, it's just not the reason most people pitch a tent or pull a trailer.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #18

We're already not social campers and with COVID-19 we're even more "anti-social". That being said, we're always polite, friendly and welcoming, always. We just try not to impede on peoples space and try to put forth an impression not to impede on ours as well. It's a delicate balance...

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
... Yes, we can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
We're already not social campers and with COVID-19 we're even more "anti-social". That being said, we're always polite, friendly and welcoming, always. We just try not to impede on peoples space and try to put forth an impression not to impede on ours as well. It's a delicate balance...

Thanks,
Jeff
For Stacy and I, Pre-covid was a time when an afternoon evening walk (ours or someone elses) resulted in a casual conversation and meeting some very nice folks. Other folks we first met on JOF and eventually crossed path's as out travels went. We won't change our habits, but we are taking precautions for Covid.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #20

This may sound contradictory, but DW and I bought a trailer for long, quiet trips away from crowds — punctuated by meeting friendly, interesting people. The worst thing when camping is to get stuck near some loud multi-family chowderheads who party into the night and let their kids and dogs run through people’s campsites. The best part is meeting another couple 1,200 miles from home and discovering we have mutual friends where we live. Or trading stories at dinner with a couple from the other side of the U.S. who were heading the same place we were. Covid hasn’t changed either good or bad experience from what I’ve seen this year. People are people.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote