Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Is it ok to use levelling jacks while storing outdoors in winter?

Does anyone know if its a good idea to use the power levelling jacks to keep pressure off the tires (has duallies) while storing over the winter? Motorhome on loose rock, but was going to use stabilizer jack pads under jacks and drive RV onto board in case the loose rocks shift over the winter.
Jenny Darlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #2

We don't extend ours in storage but if we did we would either protect from the elements or perform regular maintenance on them, cleaning and lubricating.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Darlington View Post
Does anyone know if its a good idea to use the power levelling jacks to keep pressure off the tires (has duallies) while storing over the winter? Motorhome on loose rock, but was going to use stabilizer jack pads under jacks and drive RV onto board in case the loose rocks shift over the winter.

I oil mine down
Old 11-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #4

Not sure I understand. Do you keep your jacks down for extended periods of time?
Old 11-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Not sure I understand. Do you keep your jacks down for extended periods of time?

I always store mine with the jacks down. Keeps the tires unloaded and the jack seals pressurized and lubed. Have been doing this for over 38 years, with every MH I have ever owned. Never had any maintenance problems with tires or leveling systems this way.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #6

IIRC, the manual for my hydraulic jacks says if they're deployed, you're supposed to lubricate them once a week? More frequent if in a "harsh environment" like the coast?

I think that would be my only concern with storing my rig with jacks deployed. There's no way I can get to my rig once a week to lubricate those. In my busy season at work, it's a fight just to get over to the storage lot for monthly exercise of the genny and storage inspection.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #7

Thank you. Will try that. Hopefully will be ok with jack pads on the loose gravel over the winter
Old 11-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Thank you. Will try that. Hopefully will be ok with jack pads on the loose gravel over the winter

Simply spray the shiny part, after extension, with a silicone lube. It is weather proof and will not attract dirt. It will last quite a while and protect the chrome shaft from corrosion and dirt. You should have no problem with support in the stones, either with pads or without. Your jacks should have a substantially good size foot just the way they come from the factory. Good luck and enjoy your winter !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #9

Silicone lube may be ok, but I was always taught to wipe the exposed chrome plated pistons on any hydraulic system with hydraulic fluid (in aviation it is Mil Spec 5606 from the EA6B Prowlers I worked on to the Piper Cherokee I last owned). It would seem that you might contaminate the system with other types of lubes if the "wipers" weren't in perfect shape. I store mine up, but to each his own. I prefer to not have the pistons exposed to the elements as they will corrode over time if not regularly treated.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #10

Thanks so much for the great tip.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #11

Good point. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #12

I agree. Is there another way to take the pressure off the tires during storage without deploying the jacks?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #13

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #14

Getting mixed feedback, so not sure what to do now ��
Old 11-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #15

I had the same question in mind so I emailed Jayco and asked them. The response was it was my choice to leave them down and it would not affect anything. My concern was that if I needed to open a slide I would have to re level in inclement weather, therefore taking more time. So, so far I have left them down.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #16

So you deploy the jacks, but leave slideouts in?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Yes I leave the slides in. We get a good amount of snow. With the Schwintek and Slim Rack slides you should be level as possible when moving them in and out, unlike other systems we had in the past. I didn’t have the 6 point leveling system and never needed to have the jacks down if I moved the slides in or out. So my thought is if the weather and temperature allows and I want to open a slide the jacks will be down and the unit will be level. However that weather window will close this week and I would not likely open any slides until April. The only things I can’t access would be the drawers and pantry on the drivers side and I’m not planning any modifications there anyway.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #18

When I had a class A and camping at deer property for a week one time the field mice used my down jacks as a ladder to climb up into motor home. Now I have a underpinned TT.
Goldenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:42 AM   #19

That’s horrible. Glad its under control now.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #20

Quote:
So let me sum this up and hopefully help with your decision.

1. You may choose to put them up or down.
2. If you deploy them, you will potentially help your tires (although most have had no ill effect. On most RV's, sun is the real enemy of tires...and age), but have to wipe your chrome legs down occassionally. More so in high humidity. Your MH will be level (good for refridge and if you decide to deploy slides). One item I am uncertain of (someone can weigh in) is if having the system pressurized for long periods is an issue. (I lived in a class A for a year with them deployed with no ill effect)
3. If you choose to leave them up, you will not need to wipe your chrome legs, but you may have some perceived wear on your tires. Not sure that is a valid fear as typically RV tires wear out from Age and UV long before they have issues supporting weight of RV, but each person needs to make their own call on that.

Bottom line is you have most of the information and as with many things in life there is no clear yes or no answer. You need to decide what makes you sleep better at night, but know that in this case, there is likely no serious consequences one way or the other.

Good Luck and Enjoy your RV
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
levelling jacks, storing, tire pressure, winterize